Injury Report: Chris Kelly Out 6-8 Months w/Left Femur Fracture

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Well sure, now that you're back and officially a mod again, probably best to avoid those kinds of analogies. :laugh:

I just love the over simplification. Kelly makes $3mill per year. Kelly gets hurt. His $3Mill is now available to spend. I mean, who cares that it's prorated per day, and that he's already been paid a percentage of that $3Mill? They have $3Mill to add!! :laugh:

Not to mention the fact that this season isn't the one where cap space is an issue.

Or not to mention the fact that, like Wally said, It simply doesn't work that way. To even make use of Kelly's cap hit, he'd have to be put on LTIR, and even then that doesn't save us anything, but only allows us to go over the cap by that much, once we've already used up any other cap space we have. Unless we're bringing in someone expensive, it doesn't really help us that much.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Never deserved the contract he got, but the guy played hard and served a purpose. Sucks that he has to deal with this.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
On a sidenote: I broke my femur a lifetime ago when my body actually bounced back from injuries. (skiing - I played hockey all winter so was never as good of a skier as I thought I was and used to push way past my abilities - I'm not the smartest tack in the sock drawer)
Anyways. It sucked. Full leg cast (I had mine for over four months) and all that jazz and your leg is like a toothpick afterwards.
On the plus side it's an incredibly strong bone so once it heals properly it's not supposed to be a recurring thing - unlike joint injuries.

Maybe we'll see him on the ice during their Cup run this year.

jdz

May 22, 2013
What I wanna know is how on god's ****ing earth he managed to somehow get up with chara's help and hobble off without a stretcher when he had a broken femur?

Seriously tough hombre.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Never deserved the contract he got, but the guy played hard and served a purpose. Sucks that he has to deal with this.

Yep. Hated the deal but that was never his fault. Also hated the way Julien used him, but again, that's not on him. If he'd been a 4th line staple the last 2 seasons, it would have been fine. He'd have excelled in that role.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
This isn't totally related to the fracture, but while Kelly might not enjoy his current visit to the hospital too much, I really hope he enjoys his next trip:

092815MOONDANCE.jpg

On the right are Stephanie Bergeron and Krissy Kelly. Disclaimer: The camera can add 10 pounds...or perhaps 7 pounds, 11 ounces.

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
This isn't totally related to the fracture, but while Kelly might not enjoy his current visit to the hospital too much, I really hope he enjoys his next trip:

092815MOONDANCE.jpg

On the right are Stephanie Bergeron and Krissy Kelly. Disclaimer: The camera can add 10 pounds...or perhaps 7 pounds, 11 ounces.

Another baby B :nod:

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
not sure anyone has mentioned it... but this injury cant be good for a pending ufa.

hopefully this wont result in the end of the line for Kelly... theres been some very good players that haven't found contracts the last couple years due to the cap and their circumstances with injuries and what not.

we will see how things look without Kelly now... if the kids step up and do the job then I don't see him back. if they fail, than I could easily see him back at around a million dollars to play on the fourth line for a couple years

at a million dollars... I feel Kelly is quite a useful player for us. at 3 mill obviously he wasn't money well spent, but he was still a valuable bruin

I will miss him

BigBadBruins63*

What sucks is at his age, can he even come back from this? I do hope he can, but it's going to be really tough. If he can't, would anyone be against him getting a job somewhere in the organization? And I don't want to hear the "OLD BOYS CLUB" BS, I think he'd be a valuable asset to the team in a management role of some sorts. Scout, coach, etc.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
The fact that I might have seen his last NHL game was exactly what went through my mind when I heard "femur fracture, 6-8 months". That's the 2nd round of the playoffs if he's lucky AND if we're lucky - and the end range is the fourth of July, well past the playoffs.

That, combined with the fact that he's a 35 year-old UFA who's typically been a third/fourth liner the past couple of years, doesn't bode well. He'll be almost a year out from playing an NHL game. Maybe he gets a PTO, but he might want to start thinking of his future - whether it's coaching, management, broadcasting, scouting, or something else.

ashnathan

Apr 22, 2014
Australia
Who knows, maybe this will actually prolong his career in Boston, he will want to stay, and Boston will give him a much smaller contract, injury will add to that price going down too, maybe its 'saved' his career in Boston if he indeed does play again!

Speed Shooter

Fly. Don't look, just fly.
Jul 6, 2010
God's Country
Who knows, maybe this will actually prolong his career in Boston, he will want to stay, and Boston will give him a much smaller contract, injury will add to that price going down too, maybe its 'saved' his career in Boston if he indeed does play again!

Back in a Boston Bruins uniform? God no.

Get well soon and such, but let's stow the crazy talk.

Thanks for the memories #23 and good luck in the future, wherever that leads (besides here).

ReggieMoto

Nov 24, 2003
Manchester, NH
Back in a Boston Bruins uniform? God no.

Get well soon and such, but let's stow the crazy talk.

Thanks for the memories #23 and good luck in the future, wherever that leads (besides here).

Take your own advice: CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR: BRUINS WILL FEEL CHRIS KELLY'S ABSENCE

Let’s get one thing out of the way: Anybody who thinks Chris Kelly is a bad player is a dummy who arrived at their dumb conclusion by essentially being bad at playing telephone.

Yes, $3 million a year is a big cap number for Chris Kelly. That’s been pointed out time and time again, and somehow “Chris Kelly makes too much money†has turned into “Chris Kelly sucks†over the years.

1. Chris Kelly doesn’t suck. 2. The Bruins absolutely are going to miss him.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
What sucks is at his age, can he even come back from this? I do hope he can, but it's going to be really tough. If he can't, would anyone be against him getting a job somewhere in the organization? And I don't want to hear the "OLD BOYS CLUB" BS, I think he'd be a valuable asset to the team in a management role of some sorts. Scout, coach, etc.

He was born to coach.
He's been the link from the staff to the players now for years.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Enough with the Kelly eulogies. Guy has millions of dollars in his bank account (just pocketed a cool 12m in the past 4 seasons) & from the looks of the photo above has a nice gal to go home to, and has his name on the Cup. He'll survive retirement in his mid 30's if that's what happens. Next man up

BigBadBruins63*

Enough with the Kelly eulogies. Guy has millions of dollars in his bank account (just pocketed a cool 12m in the past 4 seasons) & from the looks of the photo above has a nice gal to go home to, and has his name on the Cup. He'll survive retirement in his mid 30's if that's what happens. Next man up

NO RESPECK!

I almost spit my coffee out when i read, "Just pocketed a cool 12 million." :laugh:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

092815MOONDANCE.jpg

Not to hijack the thread, but who is the woman 4th from the right in the silver dress?

OMFG (and I would have her #2 after Mrs Bergeron) :amazed:

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston

23 million career earnings.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA

LOL...chill out.

The Kelly contract is and was a bad contract, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't have some sympathy for a guy who might have had his career ended so abruptly. Doesn't matter how much money you've got, and how good looking your wife is, you're still a human with pride and human emotions.

BigBadBruins63*

Seidenberg's wife..The German Hammer did well

Wait are they all married (or girlfriends) of Bruins? B/c I'm going to assume Bergeron's wife is the 2nd one in from the right. The blonde to her left is who caught my eye.

Dear. God.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad