Injury Report: Chris Kelly Out 6-8 Months w/Left Femur Fracture

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
He is going to be missed a whole lot more than some people will ever give him credit for. Huge blow to the team, a key glue guy.

You just nailed it. Kelly is so important to this team, go back to 2011 and to this date, him not on the PK will hurt this team, as shown last night. People are nuts if they think for a minute this guy was overpaid for what he did. Plays both wings, center, moves up and down the line up and LEADS. He will be sorely missed.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Wow, the Kelley love is surprising. I know these feelings weren't around before yesterday.

I (and others) have said here repeatedly that I liked the player, but didn't like the contract.

I'm not sure how long you have followed the B's but I liken the Kelly situation to a FA that was signed here named Martin LaPointe. It's a long story, but supposedly Wings owner Mike Illitch got into it with Jacobs at the owners meeting and JJ instructed the GM (think it was MOC?) to hurt DET by signing away one of their FA's. LaPointe had been a key player for Detroit and won Cups with them in 97 and 98, and in the summer of 2001 was a FA. He was a physical, gritty player that was a great leader, but not a big goal scorer. So, the B's signed him to a ridiculous $5m contract, which immediately made him the target of every non-hardcore B's fan when he didn't live up to it. He was treated much the same way as Kelly has been, when the blame should have gone to management, not the player, for accepting the money.

Bergeron lived with him as a rookie and was taken under Marty's wing, and tutored by him, so he has at least one good lasting legacy in Boston. He went on to play for the Blackhawks for several seasons before retiring. Unfortunately, he's now the Dir of Player Development for the Habs, something we can dislike him for :laugh:

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I (and others) have said here repeatedly that I liked the player, but didn't like the contract.

I'm not sure how long you have followed the B's but I liken the Kelly situation to a FA that was signed here named Martin LaPointe. It's a long story, but supposedly Wings owner Mike Illitch got into it with Jacobs at the owners meeting and JJ instructed the GM (think it was MOC?) to hurt DET by signing away one of their FA's. LaPointe had been a key player for Detroit and won Cups with them in 97 and 98, and in the summer of 2001 was a FA. He was a physical, gritty player that was a great leader, but not a big goal scorer. So, the B's signed him to a ridiculous $5m contract, which immediately made him the target of every non-hardcore B's fan when he didn't live up to it. He was treated much the same way as Kelly has been, when the blame should have gone to management, not the player, for accepting the money.

Bergeron lived with him as a rookie and was taken under Marty's wing, and tutored by him, so he has at least one good lasting legacy in Boston. He went on to play for the Blackhawks for several seasons before retiring. Unfortunately, he's now the Dir of Player Development for the Habs, something we can dislike him for :laugh:
I remember. I rooted for him though. Always waiting for him to turn it around and put up points. The connection with him and Bergeron softened the blow I guess.

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH
dont know what you got till its gone. always appreciated kelly ... this may not be agreed upon but im hoping rinaldo can pick up his game to help fill the void.. well besides faceoffs.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I wish it was his ACL as bad as that sounds.

Two things I want out of this- great report everything went well, and he spends lots of time with the team even just needling them and making fun of Marchand's nose or pointing out things to Spooner that will make him a better player (ask Ryan how much Kelly means to him on all the little things and tendencies other players may have; had Kelly not been hurt I bet he would have taken most of those faceoffs against Fiddler, or told Ryan what he was going to do and how to counter it)....Belichick always says its attention to detail and knowing your opponent- strengths and weaknesses and what they like and don't like to do and adjusting to them. You will see Kelly as an assistant coach some day or a head coach in AHL to start. Really rooted hard for this guy- not as hard as Ally:laugh: but maybe 33% as much- which is a lot:)

I know what you mean about an ACL/MCL injury and I agree 100% with the rest of your post.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
He is going to be missed a whole lot more than some people will ever give him credit for. Huge blow to the team, a key glue guy.

agree. we have lost way to much leadership in the past few years. Hope some of these new guys take the opportunity to step up.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
I was disgusted with a fan in the section I was sitting in last night that was "glad he got hurt".

I almost flipped out on him, but figured it wouldn't have done much good.

My suspicions were confirmed later in the game when he stated that he'd wished the Bruins would have held onto Jones and dealt Rask.

You should know by now that you won’t find rational, intelligent, knowledgeable, level headed fans at the game itself. You will only find them here on HF.

:biglaugh:

I crack myself up.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
You should know by now that you won’t find rational, intelligent, knowledgeable, level headed fans at the game itself. You will only find them here on HF.

:biglaugh:

I crack myself up.

While the guy was speaking, I couldn't help but think what HF would look like if instead of a GDT, we all just sat in the same section for one game.

The mods would be the ushers/security staff.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
While the guy was speaking, I couldn't help but think what HF would look like if instead of a GDT, we all just sat in the same section for one game.

I am in if we mods get to use tasers

I want to yell infraction every time I taser someone.

don't tase me bro

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

I wouldn't be worried.
I've met many from this site over the years. Training camp, HF skates, and Bs games.
In person people are much more sociable & friendly then behind a computer screen.

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA

The reality is, it would be probably the best seats in the Garden. We quibble over the details, but everyone would be a hard core fan. No selfies or getting up 3 times a period to get giant pretzels.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
I wouldn't be worried.
I've met many from this site over the years. Training camp, HF skates, and Bs games.
In person people are much more sociable & friendly then behind a computer screen.

I wouldn't be worried either I just want to tase someone while yelling infraction over and over at the top of my lungs.

does that make me a bad person :laugh:

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

A bunch of us (minus the mods) actually did this twice several years ago. A great time was had by all :yo:

It is tough to get everyone together though, with family/school/work commitments, but it can be done.

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
I wouldn't be worried either I just want to tase someone while yelling infraction over and over at the top of my lungs.

does that make me a bad person :laugh:

Heck no, because I would probably take a video of you doing it and rewatch it over and over again, while nearing pissing myself laughing.

So that in itself probably makes me a horrible person :laugh:

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
A bunch of us (minus the mods) actually did this twice several years ago. A great time was had by all :yo:

It is tough to get everyone together though, with family/school/work commitments, but it can be done.

It would be difficult, but I would love to have a meetup of some sort with everyone :nod:

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Kelly's contract was of better value in terms of his lockeroom presence. Play wise not even close thus not making it justifiable. It's definitely his last game as a Bruins. Hope it's not his last NHL game... Hope for the best as he was a key contributor of both cup runs.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
we will be hearing Kelly had surgery all went well and he will be around the team and helping out as soon as he can move around - my take

I hope he is involved and around the team- Kelly was known for the guy who always said the right thing at the right time be it bear down or a joke to lighten things up

they played last two periods like their dog had died

I can see Kells hanging out with the b's.

BigBadBruins63*

You don't really know what you got, till it's gone.

And then Talbot was recalled, and i cried some more.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I was disgusted with a fan in the section I was sitting in last night that was "glad he got hurt".

I almost flipped out on him, but figured it wouldn't have done much good.

My suspicions were confirmed later in the game when he stated that he'd wished the Bruins would have held onto Jones and dealt Rask.

That "fan" should be slapped. The poor guy always tried hard and was well liked by this fellow B's.

I don't know fans who hate Kelly. ..Some didn't like his contract but you can not blame Chris for that.

Best of luck on a speedy recover Mr. Kelly.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
You don't really know what you got, till it's gone.

And then Talbot was recalled, and i cried some more.

your brilliant

I thought of that great line from Joni Mitchell's Big Yellow Taxi...'you don't know what you got till its gone'

once I hear that Kelly is fine my concern goes to Claude

if I knew his address I'd send the family over some lasagna

poor Claude

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad