Rumor: Chris Johnston: "Wouldn't shock me at all if the Leafs pulled the trigger on Luke Schenn."

Pebble live

Oct 17, 2021
Schenn is the biggest hitter in the league. be nice to add some more physical presence
I feel like he would be a very nice addition
Agreed, this is exactly why we should consider bringing him in. If Timmins had an entire season under his belt I'd be inclined to see him in the 4 spot on the right side and Schenn at 6. Benn can play the right side, Schenn would be an upgrade over Benn but we really should be moving someone out if we're bringing in Schenn.

Reactions: Arthur Morgan

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
You're telling me you stay up to watch canucks games. lol why they're awful :laugh: I don't believe you.

Leafs are on prime time at 4 here all the time so its obviously easier to catch games lol
Lol buddy you're on a junkie hockey forum and you're gatekeeping a convo about a player's value because of your team's start time?

A lot of people like to watch a circus act as a feel good night cap.

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
Nothing in his comment suggested anything serious. A lot of things wouldn't shock him. If the price for Schenn is half as much as the average Vancouver fan suggests, he is simply retiring in Vancouver.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
They have to waive someone. It won't be Lily or Sandin.

I can't see them waiving Holl.

Who are they waiving?
Anderson clust cleared waivers yesterday. He hasn't been sent down yet, but his waiver clear means that he can be freely moved up and down for, I think, the next 30 days. So, they could just send Anderson down and carry 12 forwards and 9 d-men. I'm not sure that the Leafs would do it. But Scheen could be added without waiving another d-man.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Nothing in his comment suggested anything serious. A lot of things wouldn't shock him. If the price for Schenn is half as much as the average Vancouver fan suggests, he is simply retiring in Vancouver.
He’s going to get something like a 2nd/3rd + B prospect IMO. It’s mainly because he’s a RHD, has good character/leadership intangibles to boost a locker room, hits a lot (“playoff hockey”), and is surprisingly smart with positioning so he can play in the top 4 when injuries hit and not look out of place. These are all factors a GM will consider.

Where it gets interesting is if Vancouver takes back a cap dump or packages Schenn with another player like Boeser/Garland/etc. Then they should get a better return.

Reactions: BoHorvat 53

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
He's pretty good.
He's bottom pairing from like the perspective of "will he drive that pairing" "be the go to guy on that pairing".
BUT, he can also move up if needed and if paired with a sold guy, he will not look out of place in a top 4.
Hits more than anyone in the league, has won two cups, a plus 9 player on a crap team and he's put up 21 points in 55 games.... yes.. he's better than Holl lol

Reactions: BoHorvat 53

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I'm hoping the Leafs can land Schenn or Gudas. I think the asset that made the most sense for Schenn in particular was Ottawa's 3rd but they lost that in the ROR/Acciari swap. I imagine Dubas would now have to be a little more creative in trying to win a bidding war for one of them with 4 picks out the door in the first trade. If they can agree on prospect value that might make it easier.

Last edited:

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Anderson clust cleared waivers yesterday. He hasn't been sent down yet, but his waiver clear means that he can be freely moved up and down for, I think, the next 30 days. So, they could just send Anderson down and carry 12 forwards and 9 d-men. I'm not sure that the Leafs would do it. But Scheen could be added without waiving another d-man.
I honestly just plum forgot Benn was still with the big club.

He would be sent down as I believe you are correct, they wouldn't carry 9 dmen.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I honestly just plum forgot Benn was still with the big club.

He would be sent down as I believe you are correct, they wouldn't carry 9 dmen.
In any event, they might be willing to have 9 d-men temporarily while they make up their mind about which d-man to move (via waivers or trade). They have room to do that by sending Anderson down.

Reactions: Jojalu

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
I think bringing Schenn back to the Leafs has along with his general utility and leadership as mentioned by others, a certain kismet tying things together.

tony135420

Jul 30, 2007
He's pretty good.
He's bottom pairing from like the perspective of "will he drive that pairing" "be the go to guy on that pairing".
BUT, he can also move up if needed and if paired with a sold guy, he will not look out of place in a top 4.
Hits more than anyone in the league, has won two cups, a plus 9 player on a crap team and he's put up 21 points in 55 games.... yes.. he's better than Holl lol

I've said it all along, Holl is and has always been a bottom pairing d man. Schenn is absolutely an upgrade in that he is much better defensively and allows us to call up Holmberg/McMann with the added cap space.

Also, wherever he goes, Schenn is not going to be putting up those numbers. Sorry he just is being over used right now. Bottom pairing depth is what he is and should be.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I don't think it's a matter of whether Schenn is better than Holl or not. Schenn's a player you add for depth when playoff injuries start racking up and you have to either scratch a player or spread your minutes out.

Thing is Toronto doesn't have any of the picks Vancouver wants so it's moot.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Tell me you’ve never seen your team make it past the first round without telling me you’re a fan of the Toronto maples leafs
You think Luke Schenn is the difference maker here? We need Schenn about as much as Tampa did when they won the Cup with him. He played less than half their games and averaged under 10 mins per game.

If Dubas is going to add a defenseman with grit it should be someone who is more impactful than a guy who is at best playing bottom pairing minutes.

Also, I'm plenty old enough to have seen many Leafs playoff round wins. Not old enough to see a Cup though.

Reactions: Mckay

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
The prices seem to be escalating and are now sky-high, so it seems unlikely the Leafs will want to surrender Knies +++ for Schenn, even though Schenn is exactly what they need for a longer run in the playoffs.
Yeah, that would be highly unlikely even for Knies without the +s.

Agreed, this is exactly why we should consider bringing him in. If Timmins had an entire season under his belt I'd be inclined to see him in the 4 spot on the right side and Schenn at 6. Benn can play the right side, Schenn would be an upgrade over Benn but we really should be moving someone out if we're bringing in Schenn.
They should and probably are considering Schenn.

Nhlpowerweek

Senor
Oct 5, 2022
Schenn is not even playing ice hockey now. They be keeping him safe and healthy and ready to be dealt. Some said a deal was already almost there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad