Rumor: Chris Johnston: "Wouldn't shock me at all if the Leafs pulled the trigger on Luke Schenn."

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
He's not playing big minutes, but he has excelled in his role while bringing legit toughness, steady defense, respectable offensive numbers, and he has multiple cups to his resume. He is playing the best hockey of his career. All while making close to league minimum.

Not sure how some people can't grasp that he has value beyond a late pick.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
He's not playing big minutes, but he has excelled in his role while bringing legit toughness, steady defense, respectable offensive numbers, and he has multiple cups to his resume. He is playing the best hockey of his career. All while making close to league minimum.

It's mostly Leaf fans that think he's the same player he was 14 years ago. Hard to reason with.

Reactions: JKG33

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
He is perfect for contenting teams. Treat him like a disposable player. Make him play the really really heavy minutes, let him get banged up instead of your key guys.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver

I don't get it either. He's tailor-made to NHL playoff hockey and has shown it. Ya he's not worth a high 1st round pick or top prospects but if you are trying to shore up the right side I have a hard time coming up with a depth-dman that would be better at no cap hit.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I know he was a huge bust for them in the aughts but I still think that doesn't mean they should Ol Yeller him. Finger off the trigger Leafs.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Luke Schenn was an unsung hero for Tampa's Cup when they played the more physical teams - he helped them not get pushed around (along with Maroon). He has value for a Cup run imho.
Unsung hero?

He played one game against Dallas and no games against Montreal in the 2019-20 and 2020-21 Cup finals.

Tampa didn't bring him back for 2021-22. If he was their hero, finishing the playoffs in the press-box and all, Lightning management must have been blissfully unaware of that.

I guess he could be an improvement Jordie Benn, but he would still be the eighth defenceman behind Rielly, Brodie, Giordano, Holl, Sandin, Liljegren and Timmins.

How much would he actually play, and in those minutes (if any at all) how much of an improvement over Benn would he be?

I don't think the Leafs should give up much in a trade for a marginal improvement in the #8 defenceman position.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smif

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
The reason he is able to throw so many hits is because when he is on the ice his team never has the puck. It’s not the big positive stat everyone thinks it is.
but you would think he would be more of a physical presence out there right? I mean we are going into atleast the first 2 rounds as underdogs

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I don't get it either. He's tailor-made to NHL playoff hockey and has shown it. Ya he's not worth a high 1st round pick or top prospects but if you are trying to shore up the right side I have a hard time coming up with a depth-dman that would be better at no cap hit.
How has he shown that he's tailor-made for the NHL playoffs?

He's only made the playoffs four times in his entire career.

He hasn't been in the playoffs since 2021.

His last two times in the playoffs he was a healthy scratch for Tampa in all but one of their Cup-final games against Dallas and Montreal.

Is he better at sitting in the press-box than other comparable defencemen? The Leafs' Jordie Benn is plenty good enough at that already.

Last edited:

Pukboy5kroner

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
Even if that were true, and It's not, we both know a healthy Rielly would have more points than Montour.

Defense is about, you know...........DEFENSE
It's true this year, look it up if you want. But, even having to cover for Staal, yeah, he's only better than Holl.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
We should only trade for a defense upgrade, not another #5-6.

Our top 4 D are Rielly, Brodie, Giordano and Liljegren. Ideally we trade for an additional top 4 and push Giordano back down to 3rd pairing.

Reactions: leafsfan5

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Im all for getting Luke Schenn depending on Price.

Sounds like teams may give a 2nd for him, and that's where I say, might as well look elsewhere or for someone better, if that's the case

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Nobody is saying he’s worth a 1st or top prospect but the Leafs have no 2nd/3rds to trade in the next 2 drafts and Vancouver is likely to want defensive prospects if they aren’t getting a pick. So again, what can the Leafs even offer?
Nobody is saying he’s worth a 1st or top prospect but the Leafs have no 2nd/3rds to trade in the next 2 drafts and Vancouver is likely to want defensive prospects if they aren’t getting a pick. So again, what can the Leafs even offer?

Actually @Cogburn did say that because that's what you are saying when the first name you bring up is Minten

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
While I do think Schenn is a good pick up for the Leafs for injury insurance and in a more physical series with a team like Boston, I just don't see it being anywhere near as big a deal for them as the media is portraying. And this is coming from a Canucks fan.

Putting on a Leafs cap (I know, sacrilegious), I'd only really be interested in tossing over a prospect that hasn't really worked out but still has some upside (otherwise why do the Canucks do it) but that's about it. They're much better off targeting Jensen if Washington is, indeed, selling or hell, pick up another forward and just ride the defense they have.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Said on his podcast the CJ show that it wouldn't shock him at all if the Leafs pulled the trigger on Luke Schenn.

Now to be fair he does make it sound like they want to do something more significant than Luke Schenn.

I've been driving the Luke Schenn bus for months because I don't believe It's possible for you to have to much defense, in fact the Leafs have proven that, they have used 10 or 11 this year.

But I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't prefer a bigger move than Luke Schenn.

I think Toronto needs to load up as much as possible so I'm hoping for more than Luke Schenn.
Slight problem as the Leafs don't have a 2nd rounder to trade back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad