Rumor: Chris Johnston: "Wouldn't shock me at all if the Leafs pulled the trigger on Luke Schenn."

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
We'd pretty much have to trade a spare forward and then I suppose we could run a rotation of Shenn, Sandin and Timmins but that's not exactly ideal for young players. It's pretty handy though when injuries pile up.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
We'd pretty much have to trade a spare forward and then I suppose we could run a rotation of Shenn, Sandin and Timmins but that's not exactly ideal for young players. It's pretty handy though when injuries pile up.

Who cares if It's ideal for young players? This is a go for it year.

Mar 26, 2010
Well why not at least get a guy who is a big upgrade then?
because Vancouver wants 1st and 2nd round picks for this guy :laugh:

if the price was a 6th rounder then sure, but Dubas should not give anything of value for a 7th string d man.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
That clears the way. Look for the Leafs to trade for Luke Schenn now.

How much will they pay? I'm guessing the 2023 3rd that Arizona passed on today.

That's what I'm thinking it is too we will see.

It's true that Matt Murray is getting close to returning but they didn't have to waive Jordie Benn for that because Joey Anderson and Simmonds have also recently cleared waivers and could be sent down.

Something is coming.

Mar 26, 2010
Because that person isn't actually a Leaf fan, that person talks constantly about how much they want Matthews to leave.

That person is a fraud of a Leaf fan.
What are you talking about. You are talking nonsense. I never said I wanted Matthews to leave. I have said I think he is leaving. Comprehension… now stop posting lies.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Actually @Cogburn did say that because that's what you are saying when the first name you bring up is Minten
Actually @Cogburn did say that because that's what you are saying when the first name you bring up is Minten
Minten isn’t what I’d consider a “top prospect”. Maybe on Toronto he is, but his value isn’t equivalent to a 1st. That said, I agree that Schenn isn’t worth Minten.

But thanks for again ignoring the question, what can the Leafs actually offer that would interest Vancouver?

Reactions: Cogburn

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
That's what I'm thinking it is too we will see.

It's true that Matt Murray is getting close to returning but they didn't have to waive Jordie Benn for that because Joey Anderson and Simmonds have also recently cleared waivers and could be sent down.

Something is coming.
Simmonds has already been sent down -- they needed his roster spot and Holmberg's for O'Reilly and Acciari. My guess is that if they acquired Schenn or another d-man without a d-main going the other way, the Leafs will temporarily carry 9 d-men while they try to trade or waive a d-man (probably Benn).

WildWolfdog

Dec 4, 2008
Unless I'm missing something and Schenn's a much different player now than he was for Toronto (I still loved him as the human eraser, etc), I don't see how he'd be a good fit.

I can already see visions of Nick Paul speeding by Schenn to score a GWG in Game 7 again - freaking Mr. Bean looking ARGH I HATE IT ALREADY!

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Minten isn’t what I’d consider a “top prospect”. Maybe on Toronto he is, but his value isn’t equivalent to a 1st. That said, I agree that Schenn isn’t worth Minten.

But thanks for again ignoring the question, what can the Leafs actually offer that would interest Vancouver?

Well they officially have their 2023 3rd.

Reactions: Peter Griffin

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
CJ said on his show that the Leafs now have the necessary capital to pull this trade off (their third round pick in this years draft).

Probably are surveying the market to see if they can get a bigger upgrade but if not will pull the trigger on Schenn

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
As much as we like to hate on Holl, I don't think he is.

He seems to only be a top 6 guy because he plays in Vancouver. Anywhere else he's a 5-8 guy
I’m not in the hate and blame Holl for everything camp either. There’s always someone in TO designated the whipping boy until he’s run out of town. Just look at Larry Murphy.

That said, Luke learned a lot in Tampa. He really started playing within himself and he’s actually solid these days. As long as he’s in the right position to be.

Teams will look at him this summer to sign as a partner for a young player.

As for this deadline, I actually think the Canucks should re-sign him for 2 years but looks like they’re going to move him. We shouldn’t be shocked if it’s back to the Leafs but honestly he’s not much of an upgrade to Holl. He’s more consistent in his own zone but Holl is better in transition. For the Leafs it would be more of the “make a deal to make a deal” type move with Schenn. Where there’s other teams who would clearly have more of a specific need for him. Detroit and Ottawa specifically. Maybe Buffalo.

As for the report, it was 100% speculative. So we shouldn’t be shocked but it’s probably unlikely. Much rather see a move for McCabe.

Reactions: smitty10

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Playoff legend Schenn has a grand total of 280 minutes of ice time in the playoffs in his career. Bogo played 330 and 270 as a 5/6D in his two runs with the lightning.
It's as if Schenn barely played! Oh wait, that's because he didnt. Schenn is a solid #6/#7 but anyone thinking he's going to be a contributor is fooling themselves. He's not better than what the Leafs already have in the depth department. If Dubas does anything, it needs to be an upgrade. Schenn is not an upgrade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad