Rumor: Chris Johnston: "Wouldn't shock me at all if the Leafs pulled the trigger on Luke Schenn."

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Said on his podcast the CJ show that it wouldn't shock him at all if the Leafs pulled the trigger on Luke Schenn.

Now to be fair he does make it sound like they want to do something more significant than Luke Schenn.

I've been driving the Luke Schenn bus for months because I don't believe It's possible for you to have to much defense, in fact the Leafs have proven that, they have used 10 or 11 this year.

But I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't prefer a bigger move than Luke Schenn.

I think Toronto needs to load up as much as possible so I'm hoping for more than Luke Schenn.
Wrong kind of player. Leafs don't need a D who sacrifices defense for offense whith the firepower they already have. It just forces elite forwards to back off their offense more to defend the holes

pass if its anything more than a 3rd/4th rounder

he is not
Dislike Holl but I have to agree.

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
Leafs give them a 2nd or a 3rd if they still had over 1 year left on an under-performing Nick Ritchie contract to cap dump onto the Canucks, like the Boosh trade. I don't see anyone on the Leaf roster than fits this description without Canucks taking Murray back. Deal could be expanded if Canucks throw in Demko too.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
No interest in Luke Schenn for anything more than a 5th rounder. The guy would be a healthy scratch some games in Toronto, in my opinion. I don't think he moves the needle at all.

Unless Holl is being moved out in a different deal, then Schenn has no spot on the Leafs' roster.

Reactions: Face Of Bear

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
I'd probably do that
Really? Done
So you are willing to give up a prospect and or draft pick for Schenn, which also means the Leafs have to waive Timmins who they would also lose.

So the D depth is the same, but the Leafs now have a UFA Schenn instead of a RFA Timmins.
I was surprised i got a yes on the deal

I would waive benn though

Reactions: Jojalu

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
The prices seem to be escalating and are now sky-high, so it seems unlikely the Leafs will want to surrender Knies +++ for Schenn, even though Schenn is exactly what they need for a longer run in the playoffs.

• Haha
Reactions: Phion Keneuf

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Yes because you stay up and watch so many canucks games to make a well-formed opinion

I do? How many Leaf games are you watching

Holl is playing top 3 minutes on a top 5 defensive team in the league, while he is admittedly mismatched and can be upgraded on, a #6/7 D in Schenn isn’t that

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Ah, gotcha. In that case, Pontus Holmberg is the guy you'd be after, he's a C and probably the Leafs 4th/5th best prospect, ready to play now. But the Leafs are unlikely to move him I imagine. Roni/SDA/Abruzz are all likely centres though and could be targets.

We're real thin on RHD (D in general) though so if that's your focus then yeah there won't be a match I don't think.
My experience is that a C/W usually ends up being a W. Not necessarily a disservice or a dunk, but a lot of the guys we draft as centers end up as wingers. Of the players listed, Holmberg is probably my choice, and not just because he's higher up the depth chart, but a larger, defensively responsible forward is more what I feel we'd be looking for. My hope is that he turns into an Aman clone.

Yeah, I noticed the depth at RHD. We're not dissimilar there, we have a few more long shots though.

All being said, though, if the the choices are Holmberg or a 2nd round pick, I'd really want Allvin to go for that second.

He was the 6th pick of the 2nd round.
Noted, thanks for the correcting. I thought he was with Toronto's pick, my mistake.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
I do? How many Leaf games are you watching

Holl is playing top 3 minutes on a top 5 defensive team in the league, while he is admittedly mismatched and can be upgraded on, a #6/7 D in Schenn isn’t that
You're telling me you stay up to watch canucks games. lol why they're awful :laugh: I don't believe you.

Leafs are on prime time at 4 here all the time so its obviously easier to catch games lol

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Moving up in any draft from the 2nd round to the 1st round the cost is around 3rd round pick. Schenn is worth around 3rd round pick. So something like that could work.
We disagree concerning his value, the asking price has been a second, and I feel that's what he's worth, so I'd add a third, and even a few later a later if your team values them more then I do.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
You're telling me you stay up to watch canucks games. lol why they're awful :laugh: I don't believe you.

Leafs are on prime time at 4 here all the time so its obviously easier to catch games lol

I watch the Oilers and McDavid often, a lot of the times the Edmonton - Canuck games are the national broadcast

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012

Justin Holl is better, I've watched both. Just to back it up, here are their players cards.

1677257130920.png

1677257119741.png

As for the Leafs trading for Schenn, I only have interest if it's a 3rd or less.

2nd/1st is laughable -- he doesn't move the needle for the Leafs all that much, just because he's playing in a bigger role on the Canucks, doesn't mean he would here. Leafs have a much, much better defense.

Reactions: coupe93 and banks

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Leafs give them a 2nd or a 3rd if they still had over 1 year left on an under-performing Nick Ritchie contract to cap dump onto the Canucks, like the Boosh trade. I don't see anyone on the Leaf roster than fits this description without Canucks taking Murray back. Deal could be expanded if Canucks throw in Demko too.
You no longer have the assets required to get Demko, and for us to take Murray.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
So you are willing to give up a prospect and or draft pick for Schenn, which also means the Leafs have to waive Timmins who they would also lose.

So the D depth is the same, but the Leafs now have a UFA Schenn instead of a RFA Timmins.
They wouldn't be waiving Timmins that's ridiculous to suggest,

RutherPlan

Jan 2, 2022
The Eastern bias is strong here, if Schenn was on Boston, most people here would be ready to pay a ransom to acquire him. In fact, you will have the media pumping up his value like he's Scott Stevens.

Reactions: John Mandalorian

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad