Prospect Info: CHL, NCAA and European 2019-20 Prospects Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Makes sense if he goes back for another year. Aside from the abrupt end to this year, Providence has a young team that could do some damage next year especially if Jack Dugan returns.

At least for me, one more year at college would be more attractive than a likely year in the AHL.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
It is going to be crowded at BING next season at forward with all the young players already in place. The organization needs to turn the team over to the guys that can’t cut it in NJ to see what they have. Guys like Gignac Bastian Sharangovich Studenic etc. have been in the AHL long enough that they should be asked to be the core of the team. You still have Merkley Kuokkanen and some others as well who may not earn spots with NJ. Maybe they flop but you have to give them that opportunity.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Future Watch 2020: The NHL's top 10 rising prospects - TheHockeyNews

“3. KEVIN BAHL, D, NEW JERSEY DEVILS (+41)

Last year: Not ranked in top 100
This year: 60th

Bahl is the opposite of Lundkvist. If Bahl were drafted in 2003, he might have been a first-rounder given he stands a hulking 6-foot-7 and 240 pounds. Instead, Bahl went in the second round of the 2018 draft, 27 picks after Lundkvist. It’s pretty clear what Bahl will bring: a heavy shutdown game which, if he can reach his ceiling, could turn him into a Brandon Carlo type, as Devils assistant GM Dan MacKinnon tells our correspondent Justin Birnbaum in Future Watch 2020. As you can expect, Bahl has to work on getting that big body movin’ and improving his skating if he’s going to make it at the NHL level. The Devils acquired Bahl as part of the Taylor Hall trade with the Arizona Coyotes in December.”

Big jump up for Bahl on this list. I wonder how people would have felt about the trade if there was a publication that had him ranked at this level at the time of the trade.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Future Watch 2020: The NHL's top 10 rising prospects - TheHockeyNews

“3. KEVIN BAHL, D, NEW JERSEY DEVILS (+41)

Last year: Not ranked in top 100
This year: 60th

Bahl is the opposite of Lundkvist. If Bahl were drafted in 2003, he might have been a first-rounder given he stands a hulking 6-foot-7 and 240 pounds. Instead, Bahl went in the second round of the 2018 draft, 27 picks after Lundkvist. It’s pretty clear what Bahl will bring: a heavy shutdown game which, if he can reach his ceiling, could turn him into a Brandon Carlo type, as Devils assistant GM Dan MacKinnon tells our correspondent Justin Birnbaum in Future Watch 2020. As you can expect, Bahl has to work on getting that big body movin’ and improving his skating if he’s going to make it at the NHL level. The Devils acquired Bahl as part of the Taylor Hall trade with the Arizona Coyotes in December.”

Big jump up for Bahl on this list. I wonder how people would have felt about the trade if there was a publication that had him ranked at this level at the time of the trade.

The potential is certainly there however it's not really his skating per say that I am worried about, it is his change in direction. He gets in trouble in open ice. He closes very well once he finally does change direction. I certainly wouldn't rush him, let him season in the AHL for a year and a half before any decision is made.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Get a 3rd round pick for him and be done with it. I was never a fan of his game other than his shot/passing ability, some team will overvalue him.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Not particularly worried that he's going back. I didn't think he was going to challenge for an NHL spot next season and I can't fault Walsh for finishing his degree over a year in the AHL.

Dux917

Feb 22, 2018
Tyce Thompson listed as players returning to play at Providence College next season....

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
ESPNU is showing a replay of last year’s Providence / UMD tournament game in case anybody needs a Tyce Thompson fix.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

It's really a shame he had an off year. He appears to do everything right and is a much better talent than many (not saying anyone here) gives him credit for. He's smart, tough, an has enough skill that he really seemed to have a shot at some sort of an NHL future. Hopefully he rebounds and has a good season and NJ can sign him when it ends (assuming winter college sports happen at all - ugh please let there be a breakthrough on the vaccine or at least treatment front).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad