Prospect Info: CHL, NCAA and European 2019-20 Prospects Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
yeah especially the ones that don't and aren't expected to put up big points. we'll see what they have when they graduate to the pros but you can't really judge their eventual stay at home role from junior box scores

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Yeah, Hellickson is another guy that's totally ignored for the most part. FWIW I think it's just hard to follow defensive D prospects. Doesn't necessarily say anything about their potential.
For sure, especially because these aren't the types of defenseman that will put up gaudy numbers offensively. I'm definitely liking them both though.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Oh I think he'd sign it if offered; I'm not sure the Devils will offer. They have a load of LHD coming into the organization next year and the year after - Bahl, Okhotyuk, Smith next year for sure, with the possibility of Hellickson next year or the year after plus Vukojevic likely. Groleau is under contract for 2 more years as well. I'd be surprised, absent other moves, if the Devils signed both Hellickson and Bernard.

BJD

May 26, 2011
Oh I think he'd sign it if offered; I'm not sure the Devils will offer. They have a load of LHD coming into the organization next year and the year after - Bahl, Okhotyuk, Smith next year for sure, with the possibility of Hellickson next year or the year after plus Vukojevic likely. Groleau is under contract for 2 more years as well. I'd be surprised, absent other moves, if the Devils signed both Hellickson and Bernard.
I don't think the Devils will offer him a contract. I've seen him play a few times over the past two years here in Halifax and he's really nothing special. I don't think one hot week changes that.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
Did some say Sherbrooke is stacked? I don't follow the Junior leagues enough to know.

Because one thing that jumps out about Bernard is a surprising +/- relative to his teammates. Since he joined the team he's at a team best +34 in 27 games.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Did some say Sherbrooke is stacked? I don't follow the Junior leagues enough to know.

Because one thing that jumps out about Bernard is a surprising +/- relative to his teammates. Since he joined the team he's at a team best +34 in 27 games.
Colby Sissons was top +- defensmen on Swift Current as a 19 year old at +46. He isn't even an AHL defensmen atm. Being a defensive defensmen on a great team is troublesome to project. I really don't think Bernard is anything, maybe an ECHL defensmen maybe not.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
Colby Sissons was top +- defensmen on Swift Current as a 19 year old at +46. He isn't even an AHL defensmen atm. Being a defensive defensmen on a great team is troublesome to project. I really don't think Bernard is anything, maybe an ECHL defensmen maybe not.
Fair enough, and I'm well aware of limitations of +/- as a stat, but it just caught my eye relative to his team. Not saying we was the driver, of course, but maybe that he's been steady. Fair counterpoint though.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
FWIW regarding Bernard, I looked back at Scott Wheeler's Prospect Pool Ranking from about a month ago to see where he fit in. Seems like Wheeler feels he still has some NHL potential.

Wheeler's 2020 NHL prospect pool rankings: No. 17 New Jersey...

If this list was about the sheer number of prospects I like and/or considered for the ranking, the Devils might be No. 1, or close to it. As a reminder to the criteria above, I set my minimum number of players per team at 15 in order to ensure that even for teams that are particularly thin at the bottom of this list that our readers felt like they were getting equal value and detail out of their ranking. But I also set the maximum at 20 prospects per team in an effort to avoid these pieces running too long — and to save myself, at least a little, from turning 500 prospects into 750 prospects …

And while I didn’t expect that maximum to be challenged by more than a handful of teams, the Devils were absolutely one of them. Their list could have run 25 players deep without me hitting guys who I don’t feel are NHL prospects. There were a number of players left out of the top 20 here (including Cole Brady, Michael Vukojevic, Xavier Bernard and others) that would’ve appeared in that 15 range for some of the teams further down the ranking.

A Devils Fan

Nov 17, 2019
FWIW regarding Bernard, I looked back at Scott Wheeler's Prospect Pool Ranking from about a month ago to see where he fit in. Seems like Wheeler feels he still has some NHL potential.

Wheeler's 2020 NHL prospect pool rankings: No. 17 New Jersey...

If this list was about the sheer number of prospects I like and/or considered for the ranking, the Devils might be No. 1, or close to it. As a reminder to the criteria above, I set my minimum number of players per team at 15 in order to ensure that even for teams that are particularly thin at the bottom of this list that our readers felt like they were getting equal value and detail out of their ranking. But I also set the maximum at 20 prospects per team in an effort to avoid these pieces running too long — and to save myself, at least a little, from turning 500 prospects into 750 prospects …

And while I didn’t expect that maximum to be challenged by more than a handful of teams, the Devils were absolutely one of them. Their list could have run 25 players deep without me hitting guys who I don’t feel are NHL prospects. There were a number of players left out of the top 20 here (including Cole Brady, Michael Vukojevic, Xavier Bernard and others) that would’ve appeared in that 15 range for some of the teams further down the ranking.

this is a general feature of the Devils' prospect pool that I feel gets overlooked by a lot of people, especially outside the organization. There are a LOT of good players in the Devils system. It's extremely unlikely (but not impossible!) that any of them become top 6 forwards and first pair defensemen, but having that kind of depth is important for building a team. It's what the Devils lost during the Lou/Conte twilight years, and it led to way too many seasons of overpaying to have guys like Michael Ryder and Zubrus on the roster well past their "best by" date. To have Wheeler say that there's prospects that didn't make Jersey's top 20 but would have been top 15 for other teams is pretty significant, IMO.

Belizarius

Sep 17, 2003
Southern France
www.passionhockey.com
I agree.
There's a dozen NHL players here, even in a bottom-6 role.
Guys like Bastian, Seney, Anderson, McLeod, Merkley, Boqvist are already NHL players even in a limited role : there is just not enough room for everybody.
Kuokkanen, Maltsev, Zetterlund, Talvitie, Thompson, Moynihan, Hoelscher, Clarke, Studenic and Foote...
Well, there is only 12 spots in a NHL team at forward :)

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I agree.
There's a dozen NHL players here, even in a bottom-6 role.
Guys like Bastian, Seney, Anderson, McLeod, Merkley, Boqvist are already NHL players even in a limited role : there is just not enough room for everybody.
Kuokkanen, Maltsev, Zetterlund, Talvitie, Thompson, Moynihan, Hoelscher, Clarke, Studenic and Foote...
Well, there is only 12 spots in a NHL team at forward :)
I've said that before. We have at the very worst a competent bottom 6 with these guys. Now we need a couple to surpass that floor and be contributing top 6 guys. It's certainly possible.

Reactions: HBK27 and MichaelJ

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
I've said that before. We have at the very worst a competent bottom 6 with these guys. Now we need a couple to surpass that floor and be contributing top 6 guys. It's certainly possible.

Yup, and Hischier, Palmieri, and Bratt are at least good low-end top six guys, with Hischier and Bratt having more headroom to improve. We need Hughes to become that super star and we need one more major offensive dynamo.

Give me an M! Give me an A! Give me an R! C! O!
Give me an R! Give me an O! Give me an S! S! I!

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013

Its going to look even better when we draft Lafreniere and Quinn and add a veteran :sarcasm:

Reactions: Billdo

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
players will sign ELCs around this or next week, so hopefully

he's going for a business econ degree, if anyone likes to read into majors, so he may want to keep doing work at school?

If that business econ course is worth a shit he'll be able to figure out that signing an ELC is the smart thing to do. Why so early though, doesn't the NCAA season continue for a few more weeks?

Reactions: OmNomNom
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->