Prospect Info: CHL, NCAA and European 2019-20 Prospects Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
If that business econ course is worth a shit he'll be able to figure out that signing an ELC is the smart thing to do. Why so early though, doesn't the NCAA season continue for a few more weeks?

Regular season is pretty much done for most teams. Playoffs/tournaments start next week if teams qualified

Reactions: Blackjack

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
If that business econ course is worth a shit he'll be able to figure out that signing an ELC is the smart thing to do. Why so early though, doesn't the NCAA season continue for a few more weeks?
it'd be an ELC starting next year, so signing it now is an option he has.

we should sign him now though, since he's 20 yrs old. the contract won't slide, so it's in his best interest if he wants to play asap

Reactions: Blackjack

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Wheeler: Risers and fallers since the 2019 NHL Draft

Two prospects mentioned in Wheeler's risers & fallers from the 2019 draft:

Tyce Thompson, C, 6-foot-1 (New Jersey Devils/Providence College)
Actual draft pick: No. 96
My final ranking: Not ranked in my top 100.
Thompson’s one of those players whose production has never really aligned with my assessment of his skill set. Passed up in his draft year after mediocre results in the USHL, Thompson was selected as an overager following a decent freshman year. Then he got a Hobey Baker nod as a sophomore and one of the NCAA’s top scorers — and slowly began to look like a shrewd, late-blooming pick in the process. He doesn’t shy away physically, he makes decisions quickly, he’s got some evasiveness to his game as a puck carrier and creator, and he has shown improved shooting/scoring ability. I still think he should go back to college for at least another year before he turns pro but I now see considerably less risk in his NHL projection than I did.

Jack Hughes (New Jersey Devils) and Kaapo Kakko (New York Rangers)
This isn’t about whether the draft order at the top would change for either of these two players in hindsight. Nearly nine months later, I still think Hughes and Kakko were selected in the right spots. That’s unlikely to change too. I believe Hughes has point per game potential and the ability to be one of the NHL’s most dynamic playmaking threats on the power play. I believe Kakko has consistent 30-40 goal potential as a powerful, high-skill winger with size. In that way, my projection for the pair hasn’t changed in a drastic way just yet. But there’s no question I expected both would have a more pronounced immediate impact than they have. Given the seasons they had with the NTDP and TPS respectively, as well as their skill sets, most believed they were capable of challenging for 50-60 points. But as it stands today, they would each need to play at a point per game pace down the stretch just to challenge 40 points. When you look back at the rookie seasons of recent top two-picks, they’re closer to Nolan Patrick territory (30 points in 73 games) than they are to Andrei Svechnikov (37 points) or Nico Hischier (52 points). Both have struggled mightily in stretches. At this point in the season, I expected they’d both be, at least peripherally, in Calder Trophy conversation. They aren’t. Next year will be telling.

Reactions: Nubmer6

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Wheeler: Risers and fallers since the 2019 NHL Draft

Two prospects mentioned in Wheeler's risers & fallers from the 2019 draft:

Tyce Thompson, C, 6-foot-1 (New Jersey Devils/Providence College)
Actual draft pick: No. 96
My final ranking: Not ranked in my top 100.

Thompson’s one of those players whose production has never really aligned with my assessment of his skill set. Passed up in his draft year after mediocre results in the USHL, Thompson was selected as an overager following a decent freshman year. Then he got a Hobey Baker nod as a sophomore and one of the NCAA’s top scorers — and slowly began to look like a shrewd, late-blooming pick in the process. He doesn’t shy away physically, he makes decisions quickly, he’s got some evasiveness to his game as a puck carrier and creator, and he has shown improved shooting/scoring ability. I still think he should go back to college for at least another year before he turns pro but I now see considerably less risk in his NHL projection than I did.

Jack Hughes (New Jersey Devils) and Kaapo Kakko (New York Rangers)
This isn’t about whether the draft order at the top would change for either of these two players in hindsight. Nearly nine months later, I still think Hughes and Kakko were selected in the right spots. That’s unlikely to change too. I believe Hughes has point per game potential and the ability to be one of the NHL’s most dynamic playmaking threats on the power play. I believe Kakko has consistent 30-40 goal potential as a powerful, high-skill winger with size. In that way, my projection for the pair hasn’t changed in a drastic way just yet. But there’s no question I expected both would have a more pronounced immediate impact than they have. Given the seasons they had with the NTDP and TPS respectively, as well as their skill sets, most believed they were capable of challenging for 50-60 points. But as it stands today, they would each need to play at a point per game pace down the stretch just to challenge 40 points. When you look back at the rookie seasons of recent top two-picks, they’re closer to Nolan Patrick territory (30 points in 73 games) than they are to Andrei Svechnikov (37 points) or Nico Hischier (52 points). Both have struggled mightily in stretches. At this point in the season, I expected they’d both be, at least peripherally, in Calder Trophy conversation. They aren’t. Next year will be telling.

I like Wheeler but this is f***ing silly. If Hughes still goes 1OA then he's not a "faller".

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Report: Harvard hockey team to forfeit series - TSN.ca

Harvard forfeiting its upcoming Conference tournament series due to university travel ban. Not sure if Reilly Walsh was considering going pro after this season or returning for his senior year. Harvard's unlikely to make the 16 team field for the national tournament, so this is probably not quite the way Walsh might've envisioned his college career ending.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
Report: Harvard hockey team to forfeit series - TSN.ca

Harvard forfeiting its upcoming Conference tournament series due to university travel ban. Not sure if Reilly Walsh was considering going pro after this season or returning for his senior year. Harvard's unlikely to make the 16 team field for the national tournament, so this is probably not quite the way Walsh might've envisioned his college career ending.
30 seconds after this announcement: "Hey Reilly, it's Tom Fitzgerald...Josh and Dave's private jet is en route. Be at the airport in 40 with your gear."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad