Prospect Info: CHL, NCAA and European 2019-20 Prospects Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
Any word on junior leagues and AHL starting at regular times next year? This could be good for prospects who are on the cusp of making the big club giving them a few more development months.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Any word on junior leagues and AHL starting at regular times next year? This could be good for prospects who are on the cusp of making the big club giving them a few more development months.

I think right now those leagues are concerned about starting at all. They don’t have the TV revenue stream the NHL has so they don’t know how to pay to play in front of a closed or mostly closed arena.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Are teams allowed to trade prospects at this point? They weren't really given a chance.

I don't think there's any time when they're not permitted to do so. I think it's just looked at as generally bad form to do it when other stuff is happening in the hockey world. But as Brodeur said in some thread, the Kings recently dealt for an unsigned pick on May 31.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
This doesn't make sense to me - obviously someone like Alex Romanov should not be allowed to play.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
If a player was on a team's reserve list, I don't have any issue with them being signed. NHL prohibited new contracts from starting immediately until they got a better sense of what was happening. It'd be like Gusev joining Vegas' 2019 playoff run. Kaprizov with Minnesota might be the more interesting case since he might make a bigger impact right away. As good as Romanov looks, I'm not sure how much ice time they'd give to him or if they'd even dress him.

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey
2018 draft didn't turn out too well I guess. Not signing Hoelscher or Bernard. We had no 2nd or 3rd rounders though. Maybe Schmid will be something. Dunno. I do think Ty Smith will be good though.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
2018 draft didn't turn out too well I guess. Not signing Hoelscher or Bernard. We had no 2nd or 3rd rounders though. Maybe Schmid will be something. Dunno. I do think Ty Smith will be good though.

Sharangovich might have some potential as a bottom six option. Pakkila is progressing pretty well in Finland although he is still a long shot.

Reactions: Darkauron

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Who's the last regular that has been churned out that spent an extended period of time in the AHL? Coleman?

I don't think it's a great track record.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Who's the last regular that has been churned out that spent an extended period of time in the AHL? Coleman?

That is going to change with Dennehy, let him do his own thing and results improve confidence which develops better NHL'ers. Based on the quick turnaround once running his own system, I think he is a tremendous coach.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

If a player has to spend an "extended" time in the AHL, chances are they aren't ever going to be a good NHL player.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

This is pretty much true for every team. The best players, by and large, bypass the minor league system.

Every so often a team establishes such a strong major league roster that they end up putting good players in the minors but it's rare and seldom lasts.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
If a player has to spend an "extended" time in the AHL, chances are they aren't ever going to be a good NHL player.
This seems extremely reductive.

Mind you, players like Elias, Sykora, and more recently Henrique, all spent "extended" time in the AHL. I don't agree with your statement at all - some players are better off developing at that level. Our inability to effectively leverage it doesn't change that.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
This is pretty much true for every team. The best players, by and large, bypass the minor league system.

Every so often a team establishes such a strong major league roster that they end up putting good players in the minors but it's rare and seldom lasts.
The best players definitely do typically bypass the AHL, true.

Those other players, a la say a Joey Anderson type with middle-6 tier potential, don't generally jump straight to the NHL. Those are more the caliber of player I'm referencing. Henrique falls in that tier, too.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
I think there is a difference between spending extended time in the AHL (a few seasons) like Mcleod ect compared to spending a season and a few games in the AHL like the Henriques and Colemans of the world.

Reactions: Billdo

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I think there is a difference between spending extended time in the AHL (a few seasons) like Mcleod ect compared to spending a season and a few games in the AHL like the Henriques and Colemans of the world.
Semantics of the word "extended" aside, to me a season+ qualifies.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

Henrique spent a full season and Coleman spent 1+ seasons - he likely would've spent 2 full seasons but he got injured in his rookie pro year. There is a difference - the list of forwards who spent as much time as McLeod has in the AHL in the last 20 years and have gone on to be consequential NHLers is not long.

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey
That is going to change with Dennehy, let him do his own thing and results improve confidence which develops better NHL'ers. Based on the quick turnaround once running his own system, I think he is a tremendous coach.
I've been wondering. Maybe they'll consider him for the big club if their main targets fail?

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
I doubt it, the development in the AHL is almost as important as the head coach in the NHL. NJ is loaded with prospects who will spend a year in the AHl.

i don’t have an opinion here - I don’t know enough. But, this sentiment seems in direct contradiction with the notion above that impact prospects do not spend material time in the AHL.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020

This has been a shift in philosophy - not with just the Devils or hockey but in sports in general (and not on a good way). My hunch is based largely on economics.

in the better years of the franchise the AHL was referred to as Lou U, where young players or even highly-touted prospects from other organizations who had failed there, went to develop into competent and productive NHL players.

There are probably six or more current Devils that likely should have had more time - either in junior, university and/or the AHL - before playing in New Jersey.

Reactions: BurntToast
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad