Prospect Info: CHL, NCAA and European 2019-20 Prospects Thread III

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
How many CHL guys could join the team for the last few games or the AHL playoffs? I know Ottawa is a powerhouse and may see the memorial cup, as will Foote. Smith?
Given how well Bing has been playing, and how deep they are, I'm not sure there will be much oppurtunity for the Junior guys.

Maybe at D, but even there, vet AHL guys are probably a better bet in the playoffs then kids coming fresh from juniors.

Reactions: AlexTheDevilsFan

HischierSeDgewOrk

May 6, 2007
Monmouth County, NJ
Does anyone know if our current streak of playing well coincided with the influx of players from the Hall trade? If so, is it because of the additional talent we infused into the team or perhaps a slight culture change?

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
Does anyone know if our current streak of playing well coincided with the influx of players from the Hall trade? If so, is it because of the additional talent we infused into the team or perhaps a slight culture change?

Without checking, I believe it did start shortly after Merkley and Schnarr arrived, and that they played a big role.

Reactions: Darkauron

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008

I believe the team credited the turn around with changing their system after Hynes was fired. I think the organization wanted the NHL and AHL team playing the same style but once Hynes was gone they gave the AHL the go ahead to do what they felt was best for their team.

Reactions: nugg and My3Sons

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

I'd think the players we got helped, but I think the big difference is that they changed their neutral zone and defensive zone system right at that time and the team took off. It no longer mirrors our big club's system.

The team's playing much better right up and down the roster, which I find hard to attribute to just 2 players.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
I'd think the players we got helped, but I think the big difference is that they changed their neutral zone and defensive zone system right at that time and the team took off. It no longer mirrors our big club's system.

The team's playing much better right up and down the roster, which I find hard to attribute to just 2 players.

I think it’s a good example of how badly the basic system being run at the NHL level hurts players effectiveness too. Bing being good right now gives hope that they have good players and that the NHL players are better than currently showing.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008

Wait... so a system that suits the talent you have is a good idea? Interesting...

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
amazing how bing has been terrible the entire time hynes was a coach here and they were apparently trying to mirror his system and as soon as he’s gone they go on an incredible run. still mad we held onto him as a coach for this season

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
amazing how bing has been terrible the entire time hynes was a coach here and they were apparently trying to mirror his system and as soon as he’s gone they go on an incredible run. still mad we held onto him as a coach for this season

Ya, pretty damning, isn't it?

Reactions: MichaelJ

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Ya some interesting tidbits on Foote, including that he played through much of last year with a broken wrist.

Now there is a good side to that: that the injury limited him and his production could have been better if healthy.

But also a bad side: he was banged up last year, has been banged up this year, and played 50 games 2 years ago, so maybe banged up there as well.

The update also has a link to a shift by shift breakdown of Gritsyuk.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
You can’t ignore the goalie situation in Bing. Cormier was 2-8-1 until the signing of Domingue allowed them to send him to ECHL. Domingue was 4-1-1 and Cory is 7-7-1, plus Senn is a rookie who has gotten better as the season has gone on. This is Senn’s first time tending in North America, he’s an overager who played five years on a pro Swiss team.

Last edited:

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
i think a player said that dennehy decided (around the time of the turn around) to get the players to stop screwing around in the neutral zone, which let to this whole change

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
i think a player said that dennehy decided (around the time of the turn around) to get the players to stop screwing around in the neutral zone, which let to this whole change

If the B Devils do make the playoffs and have success should Dennehy be a candidate for the Devils’ Head Coaching position?

Final thoughts, Shero wanting to align everything from the draft to the NHL, seemed like a great idea at the time, but it completely fell flat. Both prospects acquired are close to opposite of the small fast attacking players. Additionally Bing has played lightsout.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
If the B Devils do make the playoffs and have success should Dennehy be a candidate for the Devils’ Head Coaching position?

Final thoughts, Shero wanting to align everything from the draft to the NHL, seemed like a great idea at the time, but it completely fell flat. Both prospects acquired are close to opposite of the small fast attacking players. Additionally Bing has played lightsout.
I'm pretty sure "small" was never part of the mantra.

Reactions: Guttersniped

OmNomNom

Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

really think hynes was his downfall. he also failed on D. but i won't forget how hyped i was at the start of the season

Reactions: Classic Devil

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I'm pretty sure "small" was never part of the mantra.

Actions speak louder than words! You are correct. The team being “Small” is a byproduct of the valuing traits “speed and skating” over others. I know change is inevitable but I hope the Devils maintain their late draft strategy. I didn’t mind the Thompson pick because I knew the Devils liked to swing for the fence in the mid-late rounds. So far so good.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Actions speak louder than words! You are correct. The team being “Small” is a byproduct of the valuing traits “speed and skating” over others. I know change is inevitable but I hope the Devils maintain their late draft strategy. I didn’t mind the Thompson pick because I knew the Devils liked to swing for the fence in the mid-late rounds. So far so good.
Ya. Seemed Shero had a formula with the later picks. 1 Goalie and 1 or 2 over-agers. I'm all for keeping that.

OmNomNom

Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
small is associated w speed in the NHL bc for a small player to crack the NHL, they're usually pretty fast/agile. larger players can make the NHL with other strengths. so when you see a smaller player, they're usually fast.

small players are usually faster, but a fast player isn't always small

Reactions: Guttersniped

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
small is associated w speed in the NHL bc for a small player to crack the NHL, they're usually pretty fast/agile. larger players can make the NHL with other strengths. so when you see a smaller player, they're usually fast.

small players are usually faster, but a fast player isn't always small

While I like your argument, it doesn’t change the fact that until the 2019 draft most of the Devils picks were “small” or “slight”. Additionally, the NHL team is also lean, which could explain why they struggled against physical teams. (Panthers and Blue Jackets)

It almost seemed Shero wanted to take the Devils as far away from Lou’s Devils as possible. Ironically, Lou’s style may still be the most effective way of winning the cup. Unless you have elite talent (Crosby, Malkin/ Toews, Kane) finesse teams are often bested by heavy, possession, style hockey. (Caps, Blues, Kings, Bruins)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad