Mar 13, 2012
cover5.jpg

Castron stepping up to the podium with a 67's player available

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Organizational RW depth has suddenly become a major strength in a short period of time
I disagree. Palms and Gusev only have 2 years before UFA, and everyone else look to be bottom 6ers. Just looking at the younger players, I think RW is actually our weakest depth. We have guys that are prospective top 6 at LW in Bratt and Boqvist, and our two young centers. On D we have Smith on the left and Walsh on the right, along with Severson who's still relatively young.

Clarke has a shot but I'm not 100% convinced yet. Give him a healthy year and I'll consider it. Bastian and Anderson look to be bottom 6, and Zetterlund hasn't impressed in Bing.

-edit-
Ok, I thought about this more. I suppose we DO have depth. Just not quality depth. RHD may be just bad. Either way, I'm not sure I consider RW a strength.

Last edited:

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
There’s a good chance the organization can fill RW3 and RW4 internally with all of their options. We’ll see what happens with Palmieri and Gusev longterm and maybe the Devils draft a potential top line RW in June. There are still a lot of questions and we don’t have Marner/Nylander/Kapanen type of depth waiting to come up, but it seems the team is in a much better spot now with Palmieri, Gusev, Thompson, Anderson, Merkley, Clarke, and Moynihan....maybe Bastian.

RW seems to have joined the other positions (besides RHD) where there’s a good chance of building most of the team, we just don’t have those top talents.

Reactions: My3Sons and Nubmer6

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
There’s a good chance the organization can fill RW3 and RW4 internally with all of their options. We’ll see what happens with Palmieri and Gusev longterm and maybe the Devils draft a potential top line RW in June. There are still a lot of questions and we don’t have Marner/Nylander/Kapanen type of depth waiting to come up, but it seems the team is in a much better spot now with Palmieri, Gusev, Thompson, Anderson, Merkley, Clarke, and Moynihan....maybe Bastian.

RW seems to have joined the other positions (besides RHD) where there’s a good chance of building most of the team, we just don’t have those top talents.

If NJ could come out of the first round this year with two top defenders and a top RW it would help.

Reactions: MichaelJ

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
I disagree. Palms and Gusev only have 2 years before UFA, and everyone else look to be bottom 6ers. Just looking at the younger players, I think RW is actually our weakest depth. We have guys that are prospective top 6 at LW in Bratt and Boqvist, and our two young centers. On D we have Smith on the left and Walsh on the right, along with Severson who's still relatively young.

Clarke has a shot but I'm not 100% convinced yet. Give him a healthy year and I'll consider it. Bastian and Anderson look to be bottom 6, and Zetterlund hasn't impressed in Bing.

-edit-
Ok, I thought about this more. I suppose we DO have depth. Just not quality depth. RHD may be just bad. Either way, I'm not sure I consider RW a strength.
Forgot about Tyce Thompson too.

Reactions: Nubmer6

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
As of now I think Anderson and Thompson (I’m buying in to @StevenToddIves pumping his tires) are our best bets to lock down the bottom two RW spots. Draft a top line RW and then we’d only need to worry about RW2 if Palmieri isn’t around.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
As of now I think Anderson and Thompson (I’m buying in to @StevenToddIves pumping his tires) are our best bets to lock down the bottom two RW spots. Draft a top line RW and then we’d only need to worry about RW2 if Palmieri isn’t around.

I am thrilled with Joey Anderson's play since he was called up. I think he's going to be a terrific middle-6 RW for the ensuing decade. It's also tough not to be excited about Thompson's monster year in Providence College. And speaking of Providence, Patrick Moynihan's outstanding freshman season has him looking like another of NJ's patented 6th round steals. And none of this has even mentioned Nick Merkley's impressive first handful of games for the Devils.

It's becoming clear that the Devils' young RW depth is remarkable. I do think that the Devils would benefit from a blue chip goalscorer to project in the future 1RW role, so it's safe to say that both Alexander Holtz and Jack Quinn will be on the radar when the draft comes in June.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Noel Gunler, top ten talent who has a chip on his shoulder (on and off the ice). I can see him sliding to one of the Devils late firsts.

Noel Gunler | Noel Gunler Profile | Noel Gunler Scouting Report 2020

Hoelscher is an exciting prospect even if his production falls at the NHL level. 60% faceoff rate and pk points are fun to see.

Buyer beware on Gunler. Jaw-dropping tool-set? Absolutely. But with that, you need to factor in his blatant disinterest and disregard for several aspects of the game, and reports of him being far from Mr. Popularity with teammates and coaches. I guess Gunler is going to be considered the Arthur Kaliyev of the 2020 draft due to this combination but -- though Gunler's arsenal of offensive weapons is indeed first-round caliber -- it would be a mistake to put him on the same rarified talent plane as Kaliyev.

My opinion on Gunler is this -- would I take a chance on him with the Devils third pick in the first round (Vancouver) if he fell that far? Sure, the reward far outweighs the risk there, especially since the Devils possess multiple first-round picks. But, would I take him with the Devils second pick in the first round (Arizona), in the region where he is likely to be drafted? Well, that's more complicated.

If the draft were held today, the Devils pick acquired from the Coyotes would be 11th overall. Gunler is likely to be available there, but so is Jan Mysak -- a player who not only also plays LW, but is additionally a C. Mysak is a better skater than Gunler, as adept as a natural goal-scorer, and far more committed to all aspects of the game. The compete levels of the two players are comparable when Gunler is engaged, but again -- Gunler is inconsistent in this aspect. Quite simply, I'd say that there is a very good chance that a GM who drafted Gunler with Mysak still on the board would be very regretful of this decision five years down the road.

This comparison is simply at the LW position. The 11th slot will have a ton of high-end talent available -- at pretty much every position. I don't think this is a spot where you draft a kid with so many concerns unless, like Kaliyev last year, he is significantly the most talented name left on the list. And I can say with great confidence that, in this year's draft, he will not be.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I think it's a good idea to be risky with that VAN pick and try to maximize value. If there's a guy that's falling because he doesn't like playing defense or has maturity issues or had a major injury, whatever. I'm fine taking a project/developmental pick there IF they have the talent.

But with a likely top-5 pick and a likely top-12 pick - you can't f*** around with those two picks. Trust your scouting department to take the BPA. Once you get in the 20's you can get creative.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I think it's a good idea to be risky with that VAN pick and try to maximize value. If there's a guy that's falling because he doesn't like playing defense or has maturity issues or had a major injury, whatever. I'm fine taking a project/developmental pick there IF they have the talent.

But with a likely top-5 pick and a likely top-12 pick - you can't f*** around with those two picks. Trust your scouting department to take the BPA. Once you get in the 20's you can get creative.

I wonder if the Devils consider Askarov with one of their firsts. Ottawa may beat the Devils to it, but our only real needs in the prospect pool at the moment are top end defensive prospects. The forward core (Hischier-Hughes-Zacha-Bratt and whoever of Boqvist, Foote, etc. who joins them) is young and should be around for quite a while.

I could see us going forward prospect, defensive prospect, and swinging at Askarov with the other pick.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
I wonder if the Devils consider Askarov with one of their firsts. Ottawa may beat the Devils to it, but our only real needs in the prospect pool at the moment are top end defensive prospects. The forward core (Hischier-Hughes-Zacha-Bratt and whoever of Boqvist, Foote, etc. who joins them) is young and should be around for quite a while.

I could see us going forward prospect, defensive prospect, and swinging at Askarov with the other pick.

Askarov won’t be there at the Vancouver pick, but you have to take him if he’s somehow there.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Why take a goalie that looks less and less like a generational talent with a 1st round pick? What if someone like Quinn or Mysak falls?

Quinn or Mysak falling all the way to the Vancouver pick would be pretty shocking. Even then, Askarov is a consensus better prospect than Mysak. I just wouldn't pass on the upside of the best goalie prospect of the past decade when you already had 2 picks to play safe with skaters. There's way too much groupthink that's against goalies at all costs, especially when people watch a couple isolated WJC games and get spooked. The kid is a stud prospect and has a .920 in Russia's equivalent of the AHL. I'm playing the lottery with my third first round pick and trying to get a star goaltender. It's not like Jan Mysak is Alexei f***ing Lafreniere.

With that said, the argument is pointless because Askarov won't make it to the Vancouver pick anyway.

Reactions: Cheddabombs

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
i'm down for drafting goalies, but not right now. there's only 2 goalies a team can carry, and a ton of forwards and D that we need

we have a bunch right now in macblack, senn, schmid, brady, and cormier, and could always recruit off of college UFAs. we need to see what we have before we draft anymore, though

Reactions: HBK27 and Darkauron
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad