News Article: Chicago Gets 2017 NHL Draft

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Last Saturday Elliotte Friedman reported he could see Toronto hosting a Heritage Classic on January 1, 2017 since the NHL won't care about it going up against NFL regular season games. I take that to mean the NHL will have 2 Heritage Classic games next season in Toronto and Winnipeg. During the 2013-2014 season there was 4 Stadium Series Games and this season there is 2 Stadium Series games happening in the United States with USA based teams, so why can't there be multiple Heritage Classic games in Canada with Canadian based teams?

i would assume for the same reason why there aren't "two Winter Classics."

for the most part - to be flat out honest, whilst people are tired with the whole outdoor game-ness. (I still like it). the only one that gets significant traction IS the Winter Classic. everything else is just "oh, another winter game."

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

for the most part - to be flat out honest, whilst people are tired with the whole outdoor game-ness. (I still like it). the only one that gets significant traction IS the Winter Classic. everything else is just "oh, another winter game."

Did they even market the Stadium Series games last season? Last season I was mostly like this: "There is an outdoor game today/tonight?? Cool."

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

My point was if the NHL can have multiple Stadium Series games this season and in past seasons, why can't same thing be done for the Heritage Classic? The Winter Classic is the marque event of the outdoor games, but with having multiple Stadium Series games in the United States I thought they would take that same logic with the Heritage Classic in Canada.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Don't worry guys we'll get the All-star Game Winter Classic Entry Draft Heritage Classic

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Did they even market the Stadium Series games last season? Last season I was mostly like this: "There is an outdoor game today/tonight?? Cool."

only in the market.

and what people are forgetting is that the League themselves thought 6 outdoor games were way too much and the stadium series are popular with some teams (insta-revenue increasers)

i seriously dunno what's gonna happen

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
I think we should send a message to Bettman by leaving waffles everywhere he appears. Does a news conference there is a waffle hidden in the podium. Opens his desk drawer at work there is a waffle staring up at him

eventually he will crack

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
The Leafs were Founded on Nov. 1917.
Shouldn't the 100 Year anniversary Be on the 2017-2018 Season

We will be 99 years when the 16-17 season is over.

We should get the 2017-2018 Winter Classic and the 2018 Draft
When we will actually be 100 years.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Perhaps some would like a little cheese. At the end of the day, all these events won't make the Leafs any better and the NHL may need the Leafs, but the Leafs also need the NHL, otherwise they would be playing with themselves. :sarcasm:

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Bettman knows you cater to American Teams to grow the game and get the big American TV contracts. Toronto's job is to supply the money to fund the American expansion. The fact that Canada will have no playoff teams is Mu$ic to Bettman's ear$.

Montreal isn't an american team.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
Perhaps some would like a little cheese. At the end of the day, all these events won't make the Leafs any better and the NHL may need the Leafs, but the Leafs also need the NHL, otherwise they would be playing with themselves. :sarcasm:
the Leafs don't need "this" nhl, the one that ditched them after the Leafs propped them up for so long

perfect world for me the canadian teams all ditch the nhl and start a pro Canadian league

at least perfect hockey world. Actual perfect world I can teleport and am a supermodel. Also regeneration just in case i get into a teleporting accident.

Cotton

May 13, 2013

Perhaps you should grasp the point. At the end of the day these events aren't meant to make the Leafs any better, they are meant to celebrate a milestone that the generations of Leaf fans have helped them reach. Without their volume of fan support the Leafs wouldn't of survived to exist today, and without the Leafs the NHL is not nearly as stable.

The Leafs and their fans being ignored, or marginalized, even though their contributions outweigh many of the other teams and their fans that are being prioritized over them is a disrespect. Taking issue with it isn't whining.

Montreal isn't an american team.

You sure?:sarcasm:

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
unless he just gets fat by eating them
never thought of that. If he loves waffles he might think Leafs nation is thanking him instead

"Oh they gave me another free waffle. There is even a knife sticking through it, how thoughtful"

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Can I ask an honest question. Why do you care so much about where the draft is held.

Is that actually a bid deal?

I consider the All-Star game/weekend/festivities a bigger deal and the most important think imo is who gets the Winter Classic, which we look assured for now. But that's just me, and we don't know what else may be in store for the Leafs that year there have been no announcements.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
didn't Bill Wirtz have a lot to do with it?
(like wasn't he their Ballard?)

Yup, I know.
I think most here recognize Chicago's long history.
It's just frustrating to read the ignorance and snobbery of their fans.
I have to imagine a lot of that comes from the bandwagon section of the fan base.

Leafs Lunch said it best: What have Leafs fans got to cheer about the past DECADE? A single playoff series which ended in the worst possible way? A Winter Classic where we were the away team? Trading David Clarkson? And instead of rewarding fans for their loyalty, the league goes out and appears to snub us.

That super secret event that will "make sense" of this better be damn well worth the wait (I'm not holding my breath).

Last edited:

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Can I ask an honest question. Why do you care so much about where the draft is held.

I consider the All-Star game/weekend/festivities a bigger deal and the most important think imo is who gets the Winter Classic, which we look assured for now. But that's just me, and we don't know what else may be in store for the Leafs that year there have been no announcements.

Leaf fans are pretty big on the draft for a few reasons. We're in a rebuild and have a very high pick, and several later picks. It's a franchise defining event for this team, given the state were in. Also so many kids being drafted are from the GTA or Ontario.

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne

A precedent has been set where the only other team in the NHL to reach 100 years was treated royally, Leafs fans feel it's a slap in the face. To a fanbase that shells out more money (by far) than any other team.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Did the Habs have any other teams celebrating anniversaries in their centennial?

LA celebrating 50 years isn't exactly nothing. Just playing Devils advocate here.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Did the Habs have any other teams celebrating anniversaries in their centennial?

LA celebrating 50 years isn't exactly nothing. Just playing Devils advocate here.

again. and I can't speak for everyone else.

but I would imagine the fact that the Leafs are being treated like an afterthought - is what is making people so upset.

LA celebrating is fine. St Louis and whomever is fine. but they are getting things announced left/right/centre - BECAUSE it's their fifty years of existence . and everyone is like "yes of course, that makes total sense."

the NHL has done nothing - not one blessed thing to acknowledge the fact that the Leafs are turning 100 - other than Daly's little "oh of course we'll work with the organization, something will be planned maybe in 2017." and the thing in the star that it would "all make sense."

then, today - Chicago (who - is the visitor team for the Winter Classic - so they've already got some carrot next year) - is announced for holding the draft? Why? well according to like everyone now, "why would the NHL want to have someone not good have something." Like Buffalo has become this shining beacon success.

People want to fob off the World Cup - which has zero to do with the centennial.. they did't bring it back because of the centennial they did't announce it was part of the centennial, they didn't go "Toronto makes sense and we're usig this as a kick off for a centennial" so saying "Toronto has the WC" as if it should just be obvious is a crock full of poop, because everyone knows why the world cup is IN Toronto:

They want to maximize revenue as much as they can, and Toronto for the most part can guarantee that (mostly due to the fact of when it is: Football season is starting, and Baseball season is heating up - and even with the Blue Jays doing Blue-Jaysian things (of the 2015 variety) - we're able to support both).

an organization - regardless of how "good" or "bad" they are - who has a rich history, has more cup wins than all but one other organization, a financial giant, the largest fan base in the NHL (despite the team being a gong-show). is being ignored, and spat upon, and everyone is just tralallalaing either to

A: call us entitled or
B: saying it shouldn't matter because it's just a number

when most leaf fans to a person would feel this upset for every single team turning 100 (including Montreal) - or at least, I would - simply because reaching 100 is one damned special thing. and for the life of me I don't understand why some people want to just hand wave this away.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Every one of the decisions makes sense so far.

Winter classic is a US event designed for NBC. It makes sense they would prefer to feature two US markets to drive more viewership in those markets. Assuming the Winter Classic is in St Louis its an opportunity for a new part of the US to attend this game. Plus it celebrates 50 years for the Blues.

All Star game in LA makes 100% sense. Again, it moves the game around the country. This past year in Nashville, now moving West. Again 50 yr celebration.

Draft in Chicago is another smart move. The upcoming draft is in Buffalo. Wouldn't make sense to move the event 2 hours down the road to Toronto when you can expose the event to another part of the country. If Toronto fans want to attend a draft, they can easily go to the event in Buffalo.

If we get a Heritage Classic or some variation, that's far more logical because it will be an event for Canadian TV partners, which is where the vast vast majority of the Leafs fanbase would care.

On top of that we have the relaunch of the world cup, which of all the NHL properties available is the most valuable in terms of star power and meaning of the games. Clearly the fans in TO are stoked about the event because tickets are selling.

NHL has done a great job giving a piece of the pie to as many teams as possible.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Every one of the decisions makes sense so far.

Winter classic is a US event designed for NBC. It makes sense they would prefer to feature two US markets to drive more viewership in those markets. Assuming the Winter Classic is in St Louis its an opportunity for a new part of the US to attend this game. Plus it celebrates 50 years for the Blues.

All Star game in LA makes 100% sense. Again, it moves the game around the country. This past year in Nashville, now moving West. Again 50 yr celebration.

Draft in Chicago is another smart move. The upcoming draft is in Buffalo. Wouldn't make sense to move the event 2 hours down the road to Toronto when you can expose the event to another part of the country. If Toronto fans want to attend a draft, they can easily go to the event in Buffalo.

If we get a Heritage Classic or some variation, that's far more logical because it will be an event for Canadian TV partners, which is where the vast vast majority of the Leafs fanbase would care.

On top of that we have the relaunch of the world cup, which of all the NHL properties available is the most valuable in terms of star power and meaning of the games. Clearly the fans in TO are stoked about the event because tickets are selling.

NHL has done a great job giving a piece of the pie to as many teams as possible.

Bull. The NHL had the 2013 draft in Newark, then had the 2014 draft in Philadelphia, roughly two hours from each other. Once again, the precedent is already set. Stop trying so hard to be above it all.

You care about the World Cup, the majority of Leafs fans (and NHL fans in general) is that it's a joke. Once again, it's got nothing to do with the Leafs turning 100, but whatever.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

That's what I have been saying - let's win the cup in 4 to 5 years (hopefully) and then we do not have to worry about this small stuff

I understand the frustration of all my friends here as we really have nothing to cheer for

I have utmost respect for all the posters here as we all care about this team

Go Leafs Go

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad