Proposal: CHI-WSH

Malaka

you know, **** it, let’s just not think so much
Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
31Yr Old Kane with two years left at $10M Stays, enjoy. I’m sure his HOF career will do well for your rebuild. He helped you win once and as far as I’m concerned he’s earned his piece. I don’t want to pay for his aura and I don’t want the Caps to mortgage their future for it either. He can age just as well in Chi and ride off into the sunset.
He’ll last well beyond our “rebuild” which will be done in ~2 years the minute we find a top pairing LHD

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Caps GM wouldn't think this.

ok...I am unclear where you expect Kane to be slotted in. Ovechkin remains the first shooting option on the pp and Backstrom remains the primary puck mover. Kane is an alltime great but that doesnt mean that he is a good fit for a given team

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Another expensive scoring winger is not on the Caps wishlist, even if it is a player the caliber of PK. Love Kane but no thanks. Caps are a worse team after this trade.

Malaka

Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
a 2 year rebuild is a spectacular success. iirc the kane/toews rebuild too a good deal longer
We have honestly been rebuilding for some time now. We have many pieces between Dach, Debrincat, Nylander, Reichel, Kurashev, Barratt, and some wildcards like Teply, Kayumov, etc. Our future D prospects in Boqvist, Mitchell, Beaudin, Regula, Demin, Carlsson, and Kalnyuk have considerable potential in them. Maybe only two or three of them are potentially elite, and there are more borderline top/middle six or top four/bottom pairing complementary guys, but the pieces are generally there. Even if only 1/3-1/2 hit that potential, we are really missing a top LD and a goalie for the most part. Should the rebuild take longer than 2 years, I would expect we need a 2nd line or 1b Center to make up for Toews moving to a 3c role eventually.

Malaka

Mar 3, 2020
www.youtube.com
that's less value than what was offered by OP... by a lot.
Not to a team that's tearing it down and trading Patrick Kane. Vrana and Tom Wilson are pretty useless in my opinion in that scenario. If we were trading Kane, we would need draft picks, although if you're alluding to the position of them, I would agree they would need to be in the top 15 or 20 for it to be even considerable for the hawks

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Kane is massively underrated. Look at some dude say 31 YO Kane for $10M as like that's negative. He is easily top-10 player in the league still and likely will be for years to come. Best American forward of all time.

Todd Lazarchick

Oct 15, 2019
I like how kane is "another high priced forward" when OV, crosby, malkin, and kane are basically players of their generation

You're doubling the cap hit for the Capitals and having to gut other players to even fit him on the roster. And you're trading the arguably second most impactful guy on the caps roster behind Ovi. No one is saying Kane isn't a talent player or a generational talent but you replying to every post about someone using common sense or logic as to why it's a no from the caps standpoint is childish. "Good thing you're not a GM, oh God forbid you trade the legend Tom Wilson". Grow up and bring some actual knowledge to the conversation instead the attitude of a spoiled teenager.

Reactions: ronaldo123

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
Caps just changed Coaches to win NOW. That’s their focus. Not long term future. They need immediate impact players like Kane.

That’s a fair deal for him to get WASH for another Cup

Wilson is a significant impact player for the caps. The Caps have plenty of skill, but they need to keep Wilson. His impact on the game is far too important to lose.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
2 young top line wingers + an A level prospect is definitely not terrible.
It is. I wouldnt really call Wilson young. Vrana kind of fits but even he is a little older than what Chicago would like if they are trading an elite franchise winger, it would signal a complete rebuild and Wilson doesnt fit that at all. And if Chicago was that interested in Lapierre, they would have drafted him.

Reactions: AzHawk

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
He’ll last well beyond our “rebuild” which will be done in ~2 years the minute we find a top pairing LHD
Im pretty sure Edmonton’s rebuild has been OVER for going on twenty years now. Face it the Hawks “made” the POs on a massive technicality that will never be repeated. You’re closer to the Draft Lottery than you are to a Rebuild being complete. Also good luck when any of your young players come off ELCs and Seabrook, Toews, Kane, Keith are all still there. Right now the Hawks are diving for the Titanic.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
We have honestly been rebuilding for some time now. We have many pieces between Dach, Debrincat, Nylander, Reichel, Kurashev, Barratt, and some wildcards like Teply, Kayumov, etc. Our future D prospects in Boqvist, Mitchell, Beaudin, Regula, Demin, Carlsson, and Kalnyuk have considerable potential in them. Maybe only two or three of them are potentially elite, and there are more borderline top/middle six or top four/bottom pairing complementary guys, but the pieces are generally there. Even if only 1/3-1/2 hit that potential, we are really missing a top LD and a goalie for the most part. Should the rebuild take longer than 2 years, I would expect we need a 2nd line or 1b Center to make up for Toews moving to a 3c role eventually.
Hey so the Hawks are just like EVERY team EVER and your faith in them is that of EVERY fan EVER. I’d be prepared for it to NOT WORK OUT because more often than not it DOES NOT.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I wonder if a team of Generational Players including Kane, Toews, Seabrook, Keith, and Andrew Shaw will finish the next two seasons ahead of the team of scrubs in Washington. It’s a bold strategy Cotton. Let’s see if it pays of for em.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I wonder if a team of Generational Players including Kane, Toews, Seabrook, Keith, and Andrew Shaw will finish the next two seasons ahead of the team of scrubs in Washington. It’s a bold strategy Cotton. Let’s see if it pays of for em.
I like the Caps. They’re a very good hockey team. This isn’t some rebuilding team calling their young core great though. Toews/Kane/Keith/Seabrook? Yea. That was a fun ride.

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019

Almost every team can rattle off that caliber of names though. Hawks also have

- worst org goaltending situation in the league
- cap killing contracts like Seabrook, Smith
- overpaid low impact defensive core now that Keith is 37. DeHaan, Murphy etc don't really move the needle.
- Forward depth beyond Kane and Toews that does not project to stack up with that of their cup days. Dach is good but again most of their competitors have prospects/young players of that caliber. Strome and DeBrincat are good top 6 players but easy to contain/play against when games tighten up
- coach that won't take them anywhere and probably needs another decade of seasoning
There's a reason the org came out with an official rebuild letter to the fans. Organizations close to competing don't do that

I'm not anti hawk, Capitals will probably be dealing with all that after Ovechkin and Backstrom unless they get extremely fortunate with drafts, trades and signings. But we have good goaltending, defense and forward pipelines to build around

Last edited:

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I like how kane is "another high priced forward" when OV, crosby, malkin, and kane are basically players of their generation
If you don't think 10.5 mil isn't a high priced forward i'd be scared to see what you consider a high price contract is.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I like the Caps. They’re a very good hockey team. This isn’t some rebuilding team calling their young core great though. Toews/Kane/Keith/Seabrook? Yea. That was a fun ride.
Yeah I think I see where you’re coming from. I also like the Hawks. Maybe as much as any Western Team other than Colorado. There’s no denying that Hawks team was as close to a Dynasty as any team in the Cap Era and I wouldn’t bet against any Bowman in a Rebuild. There is more than one way to build a Winning Team and the Hawks and Caps went about it as diametrically opposed as is possible. There are more than a few ways to Rebuild or Retool and I suspect both these teams are going to be more successful than most in either of their chosen directions. Nothing would make me happier than to see the Hawks competitive again before the Rangers, Oilers, Leafs, Islanders etc. ever win anything. Hawks fans seem largely level-headed which makes it so much easier to wish their team and its fans well.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
I don't think the trade in the OP is all that bad, but I'm pretty sure the Caps see Wilson as a core player that's off the trading block.

To get a player like Kane you gotta give something big though. So in that respect it adds up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad