Proposal: CHI-WSH

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
So you’re just content to concede that you were completely and absolutely incorrect, noted.

Maybe stick to threads or posts that you know something about and can contribute to in a meaningful way.

At the end of the day it’s clear you can’t provide a single example of any player HOF or otherwise that strung together multiple seasons in their 30s that significantly eclipsed what they had produced in their 20s. Would you expect anyone to believe Kane will do so now? Why would we not, then, value him as if his best seasons are behind him, which they nearly inarguably are?
At the end of the day it is clear that a high percentage of posters have chosen an appropriate avatar.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
At the end of the day it is clear that a high percentage of posters have chosen an appropriate avatar.
Thanks, “we’re flattered”

Also coincidentally strong Username to Post Hypocrisy ratio, must say I’m NOT shocked, in the least.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
So you’re just content to concede that you were completely and absolutely incorrect, noted.

Maybe stick to threads or posts that you know something about and can contribute to in a meaningful way.

At the end of the day it’s clear you can’t provide a single example of any player HOF or otherwise that strung together multiple seasons in their 30s that significantly eclipsed what they had produced in their 20s. Would you expect anyone to believe Kane will do so now? Why would we not, then, value him as if his best seasons are behind him, which they nearly inarguably are?
St Louis? Why the hate?

Also Giordano, Alfy, Burns, and there's others you can point to.

Reactions: txpd

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
St Louis? Why the hate?

Also Giordano, Alfy, Burns, and there's others you can point to.
As Kane’s not a DMan I’m not sure in which way you think these players are comparable. St. Louis and Alfredsson had individual seasons in their 30s where they slightly outscored their peak seasons in their 20s in no way did they string together multiple seasons in their 30s that significantly eclipsed their peak in their 20s. So, wrong again.

It’s possible Kane will have another season that flirts with 90-100PTs but to expect him to string together multiple such seasons is a a Pipe Dream that becomes less and less likely with each passing day. It’s certainly not assured enough that I’d mortgage my teams entire future to acquire Kane today and I highly doubt there are many GMs League-Wide that would either.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
He’s fired up for whatever reason.
Because the suggestion that any team should mortgage their entire future for the prospect that Patrick Kane is going to be the One Person in the history of the NHL to become More Productive in his mid-30s on a $10M contract against the Salary Cap is asinine.

I don’t get fired up about many things but I will not let stupidity stand unchallenged and make no mistake, the proposal in the OP is stupidity from the Capitals perspective.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
Best example so far but as he didn’t Play under a Salary Cap Nor in the Modern “post-Expansion” NHL I think relevance is a stretch.

St. Louis is another who comes to mind- one season over 70 points before Age 30 and then five after, including a career-best 102 in 2006-07. He’s debatable for me though since the Art Ross/Cup year happened when he was 28. But the bulk of his career production came after so I think he counts. He also fits Kane well in terms of being similar sizes/positions.

Edit: Also the Sedins. Henrik’s 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 5th best seasons all happened at or after age 30. Daniel was 31 when he won but most of his better years happened before that.

Last edited:

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Because the suggestion that any team should mortgage their entire future for the prospect that Patrick Kane is going to be the One Person in the history of the NHL to become More Productive in his mid-30s on a $10M contract against the Salary Cap is asinine.

I don’t get fired up about many things but I will not let stupidity stand unchallenged and make no mistake, the proposal in the OP is stupidity from the Capitals perspective.

Did I ever say any of that?
So if you want to get mad at others go ahead but I didn’t suggest the caps or hawks to do this nhl 21 trade.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Did I ever say any of that?
So if you want to get mad at others go ahead but I didn’t suggest the caps or hawks to do this nhl 21 trade.
That’s the thread.

Are people just completely ignoring the OP? The Salary Cap? Kane’s Age and Contract?

It’s not really that hard. If you don’t think that betting on Kane being worth the equivalent of a fist full of 1st Rd picks and the consequences to any acquiring team’s Cap Structure than the OP is stupid and does not fit the Capitals needs nor the direction they should be steering and it’s not a move the team should logically make. No matter how good Kane is, nor how he compares to any individual asset in the package being proposed (by a Hawks fan) for him.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
That’s the thread.

Are people just completely ignoring the OP? The Salary Cap? Kane’s Age and Contract?

It’s not really that hard. If you don’t think that betting on Kane being worth the equivalent of a fist full of 1st Rd picks and the consequences to any acquiring team’s Cap Structure than the OP is stupid and does not fit the Capitals needs nor the direction they should be steering and it’s not a move the team should logically make. No matter how good Kane is, nor how he compares to any individual asset in the package being proposed (by a Hawks fan) for him.

Still didn’t say any of that chief.
So keep your internet anger for those who offended you. Pretty simple.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
That’s the thread.

We talking about logically make? Or what an NHL GM could possibly do. Because it seems pretty unrealistic to stop convos about what a young talent would be used to acquire a Vet talent trying to win would do based on what is logical.

Sure McClelland wasn't in charge but wasn't he still involved when the team was doing that very same thing

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
We talking about logically make? Or what an NHL GM could possibly do. Because it seems pretty unrealistic to stop convos about what a young talent would be used to acquire a Vet talent trying to win would do based on what is logical.

Sure McClelland wasn't in charge but wasn't he still involved when the team was doing that very same thing

Other than the one famous goof, what track record did McPhee have of trading young talent for veterans? At least in the Ovechkin era I dont really recall much of that.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
this is freaking Patrick Kane. I would do multiple firsts, any prospects and maybe Vrana for him if they retain him. That would a pipe dream, but in reality we can't afford him :-(

Todd Lazarchick

Oct 15, 2019
you know in basically ever major on ice impact stat besides hits kane is well worth twice the cap hit of wilson right....

Again. No one is saying Kane isn't a better player. EVERYONE is saying it doesn't work for the Capitals. To add kane you have to remove Wilson, Kuznetsov, Hagelin and Panik. To "upgrade" your 1RW you lose your 2C, and both 3Ws. So no, it isn't remotely worth making 2 lines garbage to add Kane. The team would be worse with him than without him.

Reactions: txpd

Todd Lazarchick

Oct 15, 2019
lol tom wilson is 26 and have no idea how much more he can become?

he's already in the peak of his career. get that garbage out of here.

So it's unrealistic a 26yo player can keep improving for the next 3-4 years but not unrealistic for a 31 year old to be a 100 point player when he is 34/35? Gotcha.

Oct 18, 2011
Why would Chicago trade Kane?? He has scored at 100 point rate the last 2 years. Even if you are prioritizing youth they shouldnt be giving him away

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad