Proposal: CHI-WSH

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
To WSH
Kane

to CHI
Vrana, Wilson And Lapierre

Chicago is rebuilding, Wilson and Vrana are young players along with Lapeirre.

Wash gets a top ten player in the NHL

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
I think your logic is sensible.......

I.... I just don’t know......

would WSH be able to fit the cap?

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
Caps just changed Coaches to win NOW. That’s their focus. Not long term future. They need immediate impact players like Kane.

That’s a fair deal for him to get WASH for another Cup

Last edited:

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
That’s a lot to give up. But it is Patty f-in Kane.

Idk, depends on if Caps are willing to mortgage basically their entire future at forward to go all in.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Eh... the thing is they already have 1 superstar winger, who gets all the prime minutes... how much benefit are they really going to get out of Kane compared to other options?

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
I don't mind having Kane on the squad. The most clutch player in the league? I love Vrana but damn it's behaviour over here

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Losing Wilson would really suck and Chicago doesn't really get a ton of value out of him given his age and their rebuild. But caps would need to shed the cap somewhere to make it work and Wilson's hit is pretty big.

Maybe move out Hagelin and Panik and replace with min wage players - saves 4.5 k, Vrana saves 3.3k, Chicago retains a mil or so on Kane, then Schultz moved out and replaced with prospect D. Tight fit but who knows.

Vrana in addition to some combo McMichael/Lapierre/Fever/Alexeyev/1st would be the value proposition while the rest could be cap dumps parlayed into some value via retrading or keeping warm bodies on roster

Reactions: ujju2

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Won’t say no or yes. But I would enjoy seeing the passing by Kane, backstrom, Kuznetsov to ovi and Carlsson on a pp

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Patrick Kane's career is among the very best, but Patrick Kane at age 32 and with three more years to go at $10.5M is a very different story. That would give any team pause.

The Caps aren't going to be interested in adding either of the Kane or Toews contracts. They have Backstrom freshly signed to his own twilight contract at a $9.2M/yr AAV, and they will be inking Ovechkin to a similar contract with an AAV north of that. There's not going to be any room under the cap for another contract into eight figures per year.

There are teams that can absorb a contract like that, but Washington isn't one of them.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
ah yes, wouldn't want to lose the legend and future hall of famer tom wilson for a scrub like patrick kane

Pass from the Capitals. They don't want/need another high-priced forward. If the salary cap is lifted then sure.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Pass from the Capitals. They don't want/need another high-priced forward. If the salary cap is lifted then sure.
I like how kane is "another high priced forward" when OV, crosby, malkin, and kane are basically players of their generation

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
While it would be super fun to entertain the idea of Kane in Caps, this one is quite easily a no go.

Cap doesnt work at all. Caps are already leaning on LTIR to only fill up the roster with a minimum contract 13th F, and this would take them over the cap again.

CHI could retain 20-30% to make it work but it would cost more futures. Atleast a 1st.

And then you are stuck again as Caps would need to replace Vrana with a top6-capable player. Thats either someone like Hoffman from dead agency, or it costs another set of future assets to trade for one. And would need to make cap room for that, again. So essentially it means atleast one of Jensen/Panik needs to be added to original deal for cap purposes.

After all the gymnastics you have a 3 year update for Wilson to a superstar, but who plays completely different style than Willy. Youll have to tweak your pk and es minutes heavily. Where does Kane take a spot on our PP?

Cost for that would be downgrading Vrana, and sending basically all of our futures out. Complete and desperate all in move. Im not even saying what ifs on regression, i believe he will be superstar for the end of that contract, but what if he gets injured? Or COVID ruins next season? Its way too much of a gamble, even if all the pieces felled in for the initial go-trade.

only way to get Kane discussion really started is undoing that horrible Schultz deal. Thats why i hate that deal the most, it handcuffed us and closed so many doors to get creative. Id really like to see Caps going full all in for the Ovies last hurrah.

Last edited:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
The cap doesn’t work out on this one, but it would be feasible if the Caps flipped Kuznetsov first to clear space and get some depth forwards.

It’s Patrick Kane, him and Ovechkin could destroy the league if they were on the same line.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
ah yes, wouldn't want to lose the legend and future hall of famer tom wilson for a scrub like patrick kane

Sigh.

1. The Caps dont need nor can afford under their cap another player as expensive as Ovechkin.
2. Ole knuckledragger Tom Wilson plays primary minutes in literally every situation. 5 on 5, 4 on 4, 3 on 3. He is on the pk1 and often pp1. He is on when they pull the goalie and when the other team pulls the goalie.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Sigh.

1. The Caps dont need nor can afford under their cap another player as expensive as Ovechkin.
2. Ole knuckledragger Tom Wilson plays primary minutes in literally every situation. 5 on 5, 4 on 4, 3 on 3. He is on the pk1 and often pp1. He is on when they pull the goalie and when the other team pulls the goalie.
ah yes, was waiting for someone to justify a career high 44 pt player as rationale as to why he shouldnt be traded for a 100+ pt player

"but he plays hard minutes and intangibles" is always great for a laugh when comparing to an elite HOF player who pretty much single handedly tilts the ice when he jumps over the boards

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
ah yes, was waiting for someone to justify a career high 44 pt player as rationale as to why he shouldnt be traded for a 100+ pt player

"but he plays hard minutes and intangibles" is always great for a laugh when comparing to an elite HOF player who pretty much single handedly tilts the ice when he jumps over the boards

I didnt mention the intangibles. He plays on the power and the penalty kill and on the 1st line. This is getting troll worthy. If you think the Caps should do that deal, you may. Enjoy.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
I didnt mention the intangibles. He plays on the power and the penalty kill and on the 1st line. This is getting troll worthy. If you think the Caps should do that deal, you may. Enjoy.
i think its troll worthy to complain about the main pieces of a Wilson/Kane debate to argue about how valuable Wilson is.

pretty laughable compared to player like Kanes caliber who would eat Wilsons lunch in terms of on ice impact

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad