Proposal: CHI-WSH

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Lol the OP isn't a Caps fan. In a vacuum sure but in the real world, we don't want him. It makes no sense and basically all the Caps fans in the thread are saying it makes no sense.

No. There are Caps fans literally saying they wouldn't trade Tom Wilson for Patrick Kane. This doesn't need to be overthinked here.

Again. The Caps take this trade and run 8 days a week. There's no discussion to be had otherwise. MacLellan would be fired if he didn't accept the trade.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
No. There are Caps fans literally saying they wouldn't trade Tom Wilson for Patrick Kane. This doesn't need to be overthinked here.

Again. The Caps take this trade and run 8 days a week. There's no discussion to be had otherwise. MacLellan would be fired if he didn't accept the trade.
Not the way you're phrasing it, but you're too busy losing your mind about what you think is going on to go back and be critical.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Caps didnt lose in the first round because they didnt have kane. Kane is great but unnecessary. caps lost for 2 simple reasons and the 1 "the usual reason"

1: shitty coaching
2: Holtby decline/3 terrible dman in the mix

Usual: Bottom six failed to contribute in the playoffs just like every single year the caps didnt go far in the Ovi era.

Kane cant make the goalie better, the coach not be dumb or the bottom six score gritty playoff goals.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
it sounds insane but the trade is tougher then you might like. There is only 1 Patrick Kane and all his clutch playoff history but there is also only 1 tom wilson. Id take the trade of Kane for wilson as that guy suggests but its close. Kane is older and costs a lot more. Wilson brings a different dynamic to the team that every other team hates.

But it's not tough.

Do you honestly think the Caps GM wouldn't make that one for one trade? Come on.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Patrick Kane's career is among the very best, but Patrick Kane at age 32 and with three more years to go at $10.5M is a very different story. That would give any team pause.

The Caps aren't going to be interested in adding either of the Kane or Toews contracts. They have Backstrom freshly signed to his own twilight contract at a $9.2M/yr AAV, and they will be inking Ovechkin to a similar contract with an AAV north of that. There's not going to be any room under the cap for another contract into eight figures per year.

There are teams that can absorb a contract like that, but Washington isn't one of them.
Bingo. Drake droppin lines on these fools.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Does the salary cap still exist? If it does, he would not.

Ok.

Let's assume the Caps have little to no cap.

Do you honestly think MacLellan would outright say no to Bowman without thinking over if there was a way to get around the cap first?

No he wouldn't. First, he would probably think Bowman was playing a joke. Second, he would realize Kane type players don't come around very often. He would see what he can do. He'd talk to the owner.

This is all assuming it's Wilson one for one for Kane.

Now, if the Hawks ask for Vrana, Kuznetsova, and Wilson for Kane, then no. They probably shouldn't do it.

Fans and posters here (Including me) tend to overrated good, not great, players who play the pp & pk. Who are "Heart and soul types".

GM's aren't like that. It's been proven over and over.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
But it's not tough.

Do you honestly think the Caps GM wouldn't make that one for one trade? Come on.

The trade would never be offered. Chicago would never take a veteran player for a rebuild. Tom Wilson is a piece that fills out a great team, not what you build around. On the Capitals side of the issue with a star filled tight salary cap team Wilson fills 2 or 3 good player's roles. You can make a fair case that Wilson coming of age was the change that made the Caps championship caliber. Many project him as the post Ovechkin captain.

Personally, I wonder if there are enough pucks to add a player like Kane. Is he going to be satisfied as the 3rd or 4th banana on his team? The 2nd or 3rd shooting option on the pp?

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
The trade would never be offered. Chicago would never take a veteran player for a rebuild. Tom Wilson is a piece that fills out a great team, not what you build around. On the Capitals side of the issue with a star filled tight salary cap team Wilson fills 2 or 3 good player's roles. You can make a fair case that Wilson coming of age was the change that made the Caps championship caliber. Many project him as the post Ovechkin captain.

Personally, I wonder if there are enough pucks to add a player like Kane. Is he going to be satisfied as the 3rd or 4th banana on his team? The 2nd or 3rd shooting option on the pp?

Caps GM wouldn't think this.

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
That leaves the other 90% of the Caps fans in this thread and their very reasonable takes unaddressed by anyone at all, because this has to be about Tom Wilson vs. Patrick Kane in a vacuum now.

In a vacuum, Tom Wilson destroys Patrick Kane 1vs1.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Ok.

Do you honestly think MacLellan would outright say no to Bowman without thinking over if there was a way to get around the cap first?

No he wouldn't. First, he would probably think Bowman was playing a joke. Second, he would realize Kane type players don't come around very often. He would see what he can do. He'd talk to the owner.

Now, if the Hawks ask for Vrana, Kuznetsova, and Wilson for Kane, then no. They probably shouldn't do it.

Fans and posters here (Including me) tend to overrated good, not great, players who play the pp & pk. Who are "Heart and soul types".

The only thing being proven over and over right now is that you don't know what you're talking about. It's not even about overrating from the majority of the Caps fans in this thread, they don't need to overrate Wilson for this deal to make no sense. It opens holes on the roster. Even in your little dream scenario you don't even take it far enough. The way to get around the cap is to shed salary, the way to do that is to take a big loss on the asset because you gave yourself no choice (see: Tampa and basically everyone in this flat cap offseason, but especially Tampa).

They don't just punch a big gaping hole on their roster the minute they add Kane, they also have to make two or three more just to afford Kane. It's so f***ing stupid, it sets up the likelihood of a full rebuild in the future instead of being able to retool through the Vrana-Kuznetsov-Wilson-Orlov core and keep a winning team together, and that's if they can do it in a way that lets them win right now.

You're also underrating Vrana and his 24 even strength goals (13th in the NHL in less than 15:00 TOI) by a lot like it's no big deal and fixating on Wilson. Can't tell if that's because you like him less or because he's the one you recognize, but that should say something either way.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
The only thing being proven over and over right now is that you don't know what you're talking about. It's not even about overrating from the majority of the Caps fans in this thread, they don't need to overrate Wilson for this deal to make no sense. It opens holes on the roster. Even in your little dream scenario you don't even take it far enough. The way to get around the cap is to shed salary, the way to do that is to take a big loss on the asset because you gave yourself no choice (see: Tampa and basically everyone in this flat cap offseason, but especially Tampa).

They don't just punch a big gaping hole on their roster the minute they add Kane, they also have to make two or three more just to afford Kane. It's so f***ing stupid, it sets up the likelihood of a full rebuild in the future instead of being able to retool through the Vrana-Kuznetsov-Wilson-Orlov core and keep a winning team together, and that's if they can do it in a way that lets them win right now.

You're also underrating Vrana and his 24 even strength goals (13th in the NHL in less than 15:00 TOI) by a lot like it's no big deal and fixating on Wilson. Can't tell if that's because you like him less or because he's the one you recognize, but that should say something either way.

Underrating Vrana? I thought it was just Wilson for Kane?

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Just stahp. The Caps aren't a worse team if they do the trade one for one.

Do up a poll. And don't use the "Polls are meaningless," response.

I'd do one but I'm not allowed for some reason.
but they are. Kane would have his monster season and the caps would once again be a reg season juggernaut that fizzles. Wilson brings a physicality to the team that kane cant. but it still has a lot more to do with my first reply to you that the caps Def/Goaltending, coaching and bottom 6 are why they havent advanced the last 2 years. Kane wouldnt change that but with wilson gone, the caps might get pushed around a lot more. As others have asked, what benefit is wilson to chicago if they are rebuilding. Wilson will be 30 or over when they become competitve and his type of player doesnt last long.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Ok.

Good Lord. Go to bed.

Reactions: ronaldo123

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Ok. I didn't see that.

Washington still does it imo. Just not as automatic as Wilson for Kane.
It's not even close to automatic once you continue to think about it. I can see why it's very appealing to the outside but like I said to you earlier, it creates too many holes (and then makes you shed salary to make more holes), and doesn't provide enough value to offset all of those downgrades across the roster once you've made yourself cap compliant.

Then you age your core and your impact players. Vrana-Kuznetsov-Wilson-Orlov makes a lot of sense for a transitional core, but if you take away two of those pieces the Caps are looking a lot more like the smart move is to sell what's left and full rebuild. It's a hell of an all in move, but it's becoming more and more clear that the way to win is to give yourself a good chance for a long period of time rather than a super great on-paper chance once or twice. Anything can happen.

You really need to think these things through a little more. Reading them thoroughly is also a plus.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Lapierre, two firsts is a starter for Kane lock thread
31Yr Old Kane with two years left at $10M Stays, enjoy. I’m sure his HOF career will do well for your rebuild. He helped you win once and as far as I’m concerned he’s earned his piece. I don’t want to pay for his aura and I don’t want the Caps to mortgage their future for it either. He can age just as well in Chi and ride off into the sunset.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad