Proposal: CHI-WSH

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Wilson is untouchable.

Easy pass.
Is what you’re saying that WILSON IS BETTER THAN KANE? Because, IF THATS NOT AT ALL WHAT YOU’RE SAYING, you should be prepared for someone to go full terard.

The good news is, that person will probably think you’re laughing with them.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
i think its troll worthy to complain about the main pieces of a Wilson/Kane debate to argue about how valuable Wilson is.

pretty laughable compared to player like Kanes caliber who would eat Wilsons lunch in terms of on ice impact
If you value Wilson so little, then why would you want him? Take him out of the deal.

I don’t see the Caps adding another 10m scoring winger.

it’s a team game, not an EA Sports collection of talent. Kane is a great player, and he’s obviously the most valuable piece in the deal.

that said, I’d rather the Caps keep their 3 pieces. But that’s just me.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
If you value Wilson so little, then why would you want him? Take him out of the deal.

it’s a team game, not an EA Sports collection of talent. Kane is a great player, and he’s obviously the most valuable piece in the deal.

Not just you. It’s me as well.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Patrick Kane is 31 and his best years almost certainly behind him. He also makes approx. 2X what Wilson does. Tom Wilson is 26 and we have no idea how much more he can become. The realities have far more depth than the trite spin you’d like to put on this comparison.
lol tom wilson is 26 and have no idea how much more he can become?

he's already in the peak of his career. get that garbage out of here.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
You're doubling the cap hit for the Capitals and having to gut other players to even fit him on the roster. And you're trading the arguably second most impactful guy on the caps roster behind Ovi. No one is saying Kane isn't a talent player or a generational talent but you replying to every post about someone using common sense or logic as to why it's a no from the caps standpoint is childish. "Good thing you're not a GM, oh God forbid you trade the legend Tom Wilson". Grow up and bring some actual knowledge to the conversation instead the attitude of a spoiled teenager.
you know in basically ever major on ice impact stat besides hits kane is well worth twice the cap hit of wilson right....

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
If you don't think 10.5 mil isn't a high priced forward i'd be scared to see what you consider a high price contract is.
it's just a gross over generalization is the point. kane has a high priced contract but kane also produces like few in the league can compare, both in production numbers and advanced stats for on ice impact for possession, driving play, etc

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015

I didn't say I wanted wilson. it's just laughable to pump wilson's tires too much to decline on a kane trade proposal because Kane is 10x the player wilson is and kane is arguably the best playmaking winger in the NHL in the last 30 years

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015

Crawl back under your rock/bridge. If 26-yr old Tom Wilson has peaked what has happened to 31-yr old Patrick Kane? Get lost or a clue, whichever you find first.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I didn't say I wanted wilson. it's just laughable to pump wilson's tires too much to decline on a kane trade proposal because Kane is 10x the player wilson is and kane is arguably the best playmaking winger in the NHL in the last 30 years
We get it, you’re Patrick Kane’s mom or maybe/hopefully his girlfriend. But no one has the same affection for him that you do. Also his decline is likely imminent regardless of what you’d like to believe. Name a single player in the NHL that strung together more than 2 seasons over-30 that significantly eclipsed the same players seasons at 26. I’ll wait

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

That’s an odd stance to take a Kane being 5yrs older. He’s also rather diminutive.

Hes a great player, however his best years are easily behind him.

The Caps 3 assets are peaking or are yet to peak.

More I think about this, it’s all a solid pass from
Washington. No thanks

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Any team trading for Kane is seriously looking to win the cup in a year or three.
It comes down to what is a cup worth to you.
Kane is clutch ... period.
Of course there are no guarantees ... trades of this nature are a gamble regardless.
I am super happy to have Kaner retire as a Hawk.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Is it so hard to understand that just because a player is a great player, it doesn't mean that acquiring said player makes sense for other teams?

The Caps are trying to build a team that has sustainable long term success even after the retirements of OV and Backstrom. A big part of that effort is smart cap obligations and maintaining a pipeline of younger players. As good as Kane is, making this type of trade would negatively impact their ability to do that.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Seems like this is a dead discussion. The Caps are a worse team after this trade and they're probably the last team in the league, if not one of the last teams in the league, that would trade for Kane if he were available. Since the 2014-15 season (after Oates and McPhee were fired at the end of the 2014 season) the Caps are second in the NHL in GF behind Tampa -- top six scoring is not an issue and they do not need to gut their depth to add another high-end forward, even if that forward is Showtime. Because they've been one of the best teams in the league for the past decade, they don't have the organizational depth to replace the pieces they'd lose in this trade. The Caps also don't have the cap space to make this work.

It's understandable that the Hawks would need a lot to let Kane go but the Caps aren't the team to give them those assets.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Caps just changed Coaches to win NOW. That’s their focus. Not long term future. They need immediate impact players like Kane.

That’s a fair deal for him to get WASH for another Cup
Problem is Kane isn't the piece needed for another cup... if they were seroius they should have went for AP. Or Taylor hall

Reactions: StephenPeat

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
We get it, you’re Patrick Kane’s mom or maybe/hopefully his girlfriend. But no one has the same affection for him that you do. Also his decline is likely imminent regardless of what you’d like to believe. Name a single player in the NHL that strung together more than 2 seasons over-30 that significantly eclipsed the same players seasons at 26. I’ll wait

Ovechkin, Malkin, Crosby

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Ovechkin, Malkin, Crosby
Ovechkin’s best statistical seasons; 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25.
Malkin 21, 22, 25
Crosby 19, 20, 21, 22, 23

You know the internet is a thing, right. Anyone with literally a second to research will find these things in an instant.

You could argue Malkin won two Cups in his 30s but neither was his peak statistically. Crosby won more Cups in his 20s than in his 30s, so...you’re still wrong.

Last edited:

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Ovechkin’s best statistical seasons; 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25.
Malkin 21, 22, 25
Crosby 19, 20, 21, 22, 23

You know the internet is a thing, right. Anyone with literally a second to research will find these things in an instant.

You could argue Malkin won two Cups in his 30s but neither was his peak statistically. Crosby won more Cups in his 20s than in his 30s, so...you’re still wrong.

Lol. Take a break bro if this silly thread bothers you that much

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

I have not read all this embarrassing tire pumping. Would you care to post a couple of the highlights that are not true?

Kane is a great playmaking winger and universally considered a top 5 player of his generation. Are the Capitals short on top end playmakers or even one around as good as Kane? Just a quick check of the numbers show that Kane and Backstrom came into the league the same year. Kane has played about 25 more games. Kane ranks 3rd in points and Backstrom 5th. In assists Backstrom leads and Kane is 5th. Backstrom has had at least 50 assists in 6 of the last 7 seasons and the main reason that streak isnt complete was the loss of 10 games to Covid. In those 7 seasons Kane had 50 assists 4 times. He's great. Why do the Caps need him?

Kane is certainly an world best in the world player. Trading for a player that good is certainly going to be distruptive to the acquiring team. What are the Caps needs that make that disruption needed?
'

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Lol. Take a break bro if this silly thread bothers you that much
So you’re just content to concede that you were completely and absolutely incorrect, noted.

Maybe stick to threads or posts that you know something about and can contribute to in a meaningful way.

At the end of the day it’s clear you can’t provide a single example of any player HOF or otherwise that strung together multiple seasons in their 30s that significantly eclipsed what they had produced in their 20s. Would you expect anyone to believe Kane will do so now? Why would we not, then, value him as if his best seasons are behind him, which they nearly inarguably are?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad