Proposal: CHI-WSH

section 218

Jan 31, 2007
i think its troll worthy to complain about the main pieces of a Wilson/Kane debate to argue about how valuable Wilson is.

pretty laughable compared to player like Kanes caliber who would eat Wilsons lunch in terms of on ice impact

Kane 1st ballot HOF.
Its like comparing OV to Wilson

Kane would only waive his NMC to go to Buffalo and thats a maybe, he is very comfortable in Chicago

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
From a Capitals view point and anything involving Tom Wilson, the short answer is no and the long answer is hell no!

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
I would love to see Kane in a Caps jersey and while I think the Caps could make a trade work in regards to the return to CHI, it hurts the entirety of the team if they do and there is no cap space for it.

When you add a player of his skill, he needs skilled players around him to work with him. Yes Kane can make anyway better, but to maximize him he needs talent to get him the puck and get open for a pass. If you put Panik or Hagelin on his other wing it doesn't help. Vrana helps like Panarin did so you cannot include him in the trade.

Kane is a RW who makes $10M a year so that means Oshie or Wilson have to go. Blackhawks probably don't want Oshie's contract at his age, they would 100% wat Wilson. So you move on from Wilson to get Kane, hugeee upgrade, but not enough for the Blackhawks and the cap doesn't work.

So then you have to move Panik, Hagelin, and Jensen plus picks just to make room for Kane at 2RW.

Then who plays the third line LW and RW and you have maybe $2M to fill it

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
The offer if Hawks are in total rebuild mode has merit and isn't silly as many are on here.

Saying that Caps 21-22 Ovie at resigned 10m, Samsonov and Vrana raises and Caps salary cap would feel like a train wreck.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
ah yes, wouldn't want to lose the legend and future hall of famer tom wilson for a scrub like patrick kane
Patrick Kane is 31 and his best years almost certainly behind him. He also makes approx. 2X what Wilson does. Tom Wilson is 26 and we have no idea how much more he can become. The realities have far more depth than the trite spin you’d like to put on this comparison.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Patrick Kane is 31 and his best years almost certainly behind him. He also makes approx. 2X what Wilson does. Tom Wilson is 26 and we have no idea how much more he can become. The realities have far more depth than the trite spin you’d like to put on this comparison.

And why is it that Kane makes twice as much as Wilson?

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
And why is it that Kane makes twice as much as Wilson?
Because he’s 5 years older. Salary Seniority. Which of these two would you bet on outplaying their contract over the next 5 years. My money is not on Patrick Kane.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Because he’s 5 years older. Salary Seniority. Which of these two would you bet on outplaying their contract over the next 5 years. My money is not on Patrick Kane.

No. It's because he's an elite NHL player. He's consistently putting up 100 points (Or near) without much talent surrounding him. He's money in the postseason. He's a top ten NHL.player for sure. Arguably top five.

Reactions: wahsnairb

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010

last 2 seasons: 110p in 81g and 84p in a shortened 70g season
ppg in the playoffs

yeah, his game is falling apart now that he is a grandpa.

The fact that Tom Wilson is a sticking point on a move for Patrick Kane shows just how looney tunes some of you guys are.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
last 2 seasons: 110p in 81g and 84p in a shortened 70g season
ppg in the playoffs

yeah, his game is falling apart now that he is a grandpa.

The fact that Tom Wilson is a sticking point on a move for Patrick Kane shows just how looney tunes some of you guys are.

Posters overvalue players way more than GM's.

MacLellan wouldn't hesitate to move Wilson for Kane. The idea Washington somehow has reservations is ludicrous.

Reactions: wahsnairb

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Are there actually posters here who would have a second thought about trading Tom Wilson for Patrick fricking Kane? Like seriously?

The Capitals would take that trade 8 days a week. Kane immediately makes them a legit top three cup contending team.

Calm down. In a vacuum, duh, Kane is better and has more value. But the Caps have negative cap space and a trade for Kane involving Wilson would just open up holes in their roster.

Take this proposal, for example. Kane takes Wilson’s spot on the top line. And then they have zero cap space to fill a massive hole on the second line & first PK unit

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
Kane is old, expensive and has only few years of contract.
Vrana is young. He is a 80 point per season forward if you give him some PP time.

Kane for Vrana is a 10-20 points upgrade for Capitals with a huge contract capwise downgrade.
If you want Tom Wilson for this, it will be:

to CHI

Vrana + Wilson

to WSH

Kane 50% retained
2021 CHI 1st + 2022 CHI 1st + 2023 CHI 1st

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Calm down. In a vacuum, duh, Kane is better and has more value. But the Caps have negative cap space and a trade for Kane involving Wilson would just open up holes in their roster.

Take this proposal, for example. Kane takes Wilson’s spot on the top line. And then they have zero cap space to fill a massive hole on the second line & first PK unit

They'd figure it out.

Don't kid yourself. MacLellan wouldn't turn down a one for one trade of these two players.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Kane is old, expensive and has only few years of contract.
Vrana is young. He is a 80 point per season forward if you give him some PP time.

Kane for Vrana is a 10-20 points upgrade for Capitals with a huge contract capwise downgrade.
If you want Tom Wilson for this, it will be:

to CHI

Vrana + Wilson

to WSH

Kane 50% retained
2021 CHI 1st + 2022 CHI 1st + 2023 CHI 1st

Yikes...

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Lol the OP isn't a Caps fan. In a vacuum sure but in the real world, we don't want him. It makes no sense and basically all the Caps fans in the thread are saying it makes no sense. It's not 1 for 1 so there's no point in talking about that, there's no room for it, it disturbs the cap now and later and isn't a smart move.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad