Cheer for the Islander tank or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
That protected pick could be really good for us.

Yeah, if they continue to play poorly and finish with a bad record this year it could be a big win-win for the Sabres.
The Islanders could potentially screw themselves with whatever decision they make. That being said, Buffalo still has to capitalize on whatever pick they get.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
It's bull **** that the pick is even top 10 protected, if anything Buffalo should have got the option to defer it to 2015. If the Isles do end up keeping the pick this year I hope they are terrible like every year and finish even worse next year.I don't see why Regier agreed to that stipulation. I would have held fast for an unprotected 1st.

Seriously? Like we got jobbed in that trade? We ****ing won by a landslide.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Garth Snow is the type of GM that could give Buffalo the #2 pick this year, or defer the #10 pick. He is so unpredictable often for the bad, but then again if they move Vanek for a 2014 1st they may be more inclined to not defer. The thing is 2015 has so much more than McDavid, from what i've seen Eichel/Barzal seem to be elite prospects along with Kylington according to sweedish observers, then you have guys like Konecny, Marner, Strome ect.. who all look like very good prospects. Toughie for Snow...

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
You almost have to wonder what Snow was thinking by putting that condition on the trade with McDavid in the next draft. It's as if he put a gun to his own head.

ZeroPT*

The thought of 2 of Bennett,Dal Colle,Reinhart,Ekblad,Draisatl,Nylander makes me drool. Honestly, the Islanders totally screwed themselves here. They could use any of the afore mentioned forwards to improve their team aswell as Ekblad, but is that worth giving up your shot at McDavid? And, there is the possibility that Vanek doesn't resign and leaves, which would totally kill the Islanders as they would have 1 top line winger (Okposo) a horrible defense and next to no goalie depth. The impatience in me wants the pick to be this year and in the top 5, with Devine and possibly Fenton steering the ship imagine what they could do with 2 top 5 picks, that is my preferred option, I'd rather have, for example, Reinhart and Bennett, two awesome prospects with legit top line potential, instead of McDavid.
Compairison: Coutoure+Toews>Tavares.

EDIT: Of course, that comparison is a bit exaggerated, but I feel as if Bennett could turn in to Coutoure, and Reinhart into Toews.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
You aren't kidding. Reminds me of a Feaster/Homer move....

True, but if they do defer to next year, and improve a little bit, the chances of getting McDavid are still pretty low. We very well could end up with a pick in the teens and then the whole excitement of the pick goes away as its just another mid round pick.

I really hope that the Islanders do poorly this year and give us the pick out of fear of losing McDavid as this year's high pick should have a higher probability of success.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
True, but if they do defer to next year, and improve a little bit, the chances of getting McDavid are still pretty low. We very well could end up with a pick in the teens and then the whole excitement of the pick goes away as its just another mid round pick.

I really hope that the Islanders do poorly this year and give us the pick out of fear of losing McDavid as this year's high pick should have a higher probability of success.

If they finish bottom 10, Vanek is walking and they're not going to be making any big FA splashes. More likely they get worse than better.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY

A mid round pick in next year's draft is way more exciting to me than a pick in the 6-10 range of this years draft.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
If they finish bottom 10, Vanek is walking and they're not going to be making any big FA splashes. More likely they get worse than better.
I don't think they get worse but I don't see them getting better. They have some dead weight on that team that is gone next season but still...

It was such a terrible trade for the Islanders to make. They couldn't even separate themselves from the bottom of the standings when Washington, Philadelphia, and the Rangers couldn't buy a win. Now that those teams have turned themselves around they are screwed. They have a terrible record against the East, screwed. They haven't gone out West yet, screwed. Worst PK in the league, bad puck possession, bad power play, can't win on the road, screwed.

Barring any sort of miracle there is no way that team is playing themselves out of a top 10 pick and each day that goes by without them firing their coach to give the team a spark is another day closer to a top 5 pick.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
A mid round pick in next year's draft is way more exciting to me than a pick in the 6-10 range of this years draft.
Because of McDavid or the overall draft quality? I think there are actually going to be some really good players still available in the 6-10 slots this year.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Seriously? Like we got jobbed in that trade? We ****ing won by a landslide.

Not saying we didn't win the trade. But I would have preferred to not have to wait an extra year to use the centerpiece of the trade. If the Isles keep the pick because they finished in the bottom 10 you can be sure they will do whatever they can to improve next year so they aren't potentially giving up a top 10 pick in a deeper draft.

ottsabrefan

May 19, 2011
Ottawa
I don't think they get worse but I don't see them getting better. They have some dead weight on that team that is gone next season but still...

It was such a terrible trade for the Islanders to make. They couldn't even separate themselves from the bottom of the standings when Washington, Philadelphia, and the Rangers couldn't buy a win. Now that those teams have turned themselves around they are screwed. They have a terrible record against the East, screwed. They haven't gone out West yet, screwed. Worst PK in the league, bad puck possession, bad power play, can't win on the road, screwed.

Barring any sort of miracle there is no way that team is playing themselves out of a top 10 pick and each day that goes by without them firing their coach to give the team a spark is another day closer to a top 5 pick.

I keep waiting for that shoe to drop. I can't imagine that they are too far off at this point.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Definitely adds some intrigue to a terrible season. I feel like there are 5 players I really like at the top of the draft: Reinhart, Ekblad, DaColle, Bennett, Draisaitil. If the pick ends up top 5 and the NYI give it up then fantastic. Having two of those prospects in the pipeline would be huge. After that though it seems like such a crapshoot that any pick 6 or later I hope they would defer to next year.

McKeown seems redundant with the other young d we have
Nylander scares me, soft small European is something we don't need more of
Ritchie reminds me to much of Kassian-great package of size and skill but doesn't use it nearly enough
and after that the others just don't seem to have that impact level ability.

Reality is though that I think the Islanders hold on to a top 5 pick and hope that they make moves to improve the team in the offseason.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Isles lose again, this time 5-0 :laugh:

They must be so sick. Either give up a top 5 pick this year, or potentially giving up another high 1st rounder in an extremely deep draft.:yo:

boots electric

Mar 12, 2008
The Isles are 1 point ahead of 29th place. I have a feeling this is the straw that breaks the camel's back as far as Garth Snow's job is concerned.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Yep and then Garth has to pick his self imposed poison. Does he give up a top 10 (potential top 5) pick this year? Or does he defer and give up a shot at McDavid?

He may get his own Guiness ad.

Brilliant!!!

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Trade them Miller for a 2014 2nd if they miss the playoffs, or a 2015 1st if they make the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad