Cheer for the Islander tank or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
I will be shocked if the Isles pushed their 1st rounder they owe us to 2015.

I wouldn't be surprised by it. Snow negotiated it for a reason.

I will say that coming out of this draft with two of Reinhart, Bennett and Dal Colle would be enormous for the organization.

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
If we can end up with 2 top 5 picks in this years or next years draft, I'll be pretty happy.
Not to mention what ever Moulson brings back in return.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
Seriously, the Islanders where the perfect team for this trade.

Ideally, you wanted a team that thinks they are on the rise, has some pieces, but still has really good odds of being a bad team. That's the New York Islanders.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The only way Snow could justify not making the pick this year (if it continues to be that bad) is that 2015 is the McDavid draft, and even though he wouldn't expect his Isles to finish near the bottom of the standings, not giving yourself a crack at McDavid is silly.

Maybe he drinks some of Lou Lam's potion and makes that mistake. :laugh: Either way, it's probably the biggest blunder Snow's made as GM... either that or he still thinks he dealt for Miller and not Vanek. I don't envy him the decision right now.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I wouldn't be surprised by it. Snow negotiated it for a reason.

I will say that coming out of this draft with two of Reinhart, Bennett and Dal Colle would be enormous for the organization.

i think the protection is their just in case... so they can think about it... but I think rational minds will choose they "what you know" path... rather than risk the epic fail that is trading McDavid.

Look no further than Jersey for the stupidity of pushing payment into the future.

LGBuffalo

Jan 9, 2011
E PA
i think the protection is their just in case... so they can think about it... but I think rational minds will choose they "what you know" path... rather than risk the epic fail that is trading McDavid.

Look no further than Jersey for the stupidity of pushing payment into the future.

Agreed. Unless they stick in the top-5, you would think that they want to have a shot at having an egg in the McDavid basket. It would be delightful if Buffalo ended up with two legitimate chances at getting him in the 2015 draft if the Islanders chose to defer the pick. Either way, I'm all about an Islander tank!

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Agreed. Unless they stick in the top-5, you would think that they want to have a shot at having an egg in the McDavid basket. It would be delightful if Buffalo ended up with two legitimate chances at getting him in the 2015 draft if the Islanders chose to defer the pick. Either way, I'm all about an Islander tank!

Unless they are in a position to draft Ekblad, they will give us the pick (IMO)

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Unless they are in a position to draft Ekblad, they will give us the pick (IMO)

If it's in that 6 or better range, I think they're going to keep it. GMs are usually a hopeful sort, and Snow may think he just needs to address a couple areas like goaltending--Miller?--and they'll be back competing for a playoff spot. If the pick ends up around 9 or 10, I could see him giving that up just to hedge his bet for next year with a better draft class. I think he'll have a decision to make if he's around 7 or 8.

As an aside, assuming NYI surrendered the pick this year, we'd draft at 1, 5, 30, 52, 53, and 60 right now in the top three rounds. (Those last four spots are bumped up a slot due to NJD's forfeited 1st rounder.)

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
As an aside, assuming NYI surrendered the pick this year, we'd draft at 1, 5, 30, 52, 53, and 60 right now in the top three rounds

Pick deferral or not, I'm of the mind that we won't make all those selections. (Trade, etc.)

AirBriere48

Oct 22, 2006
If it's in that 6 or better range, I think they're going to keep it. GMs are usually a hopeful sort, and Snow may think he just needs to address a couple areas like goaltending--Miller?--and they'll be back competing for a playoff spot. If the pick ends up around 9 or 10, I could see him giving that up just to hedge his bet for next year with a better draft class. I think he'll have a decision to make if he's around 7 or 8.

I agree with this analysis. And I don't think it's Ekblad or bust for them. They need forwards too, and I'm sure they'd be very happy to take Dal Colle, Bennett, Nylander, etc if they were still around.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I agree with this analysis. And I don't think it's Ekblad or bust for them. They need forwards too, and I'm sure they'd be very happy to take Dal Colle, Bennett, Nylander, etc if they were still around.

Eh, they still have Brock Nelson and Ryan Strome in the prospect stable so it isn't completely barren. And they have their younger NHLers as well -- Tavares, Bailey, Cizikas, even Matt Martin. I wonder what their threshold is though.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
Pick deferral or not, I'm of the mind that we won't make all those selections. (Trade, etc.)

I've said it before, there is a very good chance that Buffalo ends up with three top 10 picks, including two picks in the top three in the next three drafts, either through the Isles picks directly or trading up.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Well, couldn't Snow also be out as GM if the NYI fire Capuano as a result of their on-ice performance? They're in a slide and it's plausible Wang could clean house at some point, allowing a new manager to make the decision on the conditional pick. Also, the subsequent coaching hire, along with how many rookies (AHL: Strome, Mayfield, Sundstrom, Pedan; CHL: G.Reinhart, Pulock; 2014: potential top-ten pick) they plan to play in 2014-15, would factor into that decision. Anyways, that's merely some food for thought.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

Bringing up New Jersey is pretty ridiculous

AirBriere48

Oct 22, 2006
Eh, they still have Brock Nelson and Ryan Strome in the prospect stable so it isn't completely barren. And they have their younger NHLers as well -- Tavares, Bailey, Cizikas, even Matt Martin. I wonder what their threshold is though.

C'mon...look at this forward corps. Even if you add in Strome to this next year, it's bad:

Nelson - Tavares - Okposo
Bailey - Nielsen - McDonald
Bouchard - Regin - Clutterbuck
Boulton - Cizikas - Martin

Given the chance to grab one of those top end forwards this year, I think they'll take it.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
C'mon...look at this forward corps. Even if you add in Strome to this next year, it's bad:

Nelson - Tavares - Okposo
Bailey - Nielsen - McDonald
Bouchard - Regin - Clutterbuck
Boulton - Cizikas - Martin

Given the chance to grab one of those top end forwards this year, I think they'll take it.

:help:

If you think that forward core is bad... then a 2014 1st round forward isn't going to change it

(you forgot Grabner)

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
They had a choice of when to part with a pick, they chose to defer

We know. That doesn't make bringing it up not ridiculous. NJ chose to defer in a completely black and white situation, where they knew that down the line they'd be giving up a better pick. I can't see how it has anything to do with the theoretical situation we're discussing, much less how it proves that it'd be a bad idea for the Islanders to defer.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
:help:

If you think that forward core is bad... then a 2014 1st round forward isn't going to change it

(you forgot Grabner)

The nice thing too is that they have a few contracts running out at the end of this year. If they decide to pick this year a give us the 2015 pick, what are the chances they are significantly better?
They have no goalies signed past this year, if they are bad, Vanek won't resign, and Neilson probably won't keep up his current rate.
They might improve but I don't see them getting a lot better.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
We know. That doesn't make bringing it up not ridiculous. NJ chose to defer in a completely black and white situation, where they knew that down the line they'd be giving up a better pick. I can't see how it has anything to do with the theoretical situation we're discussing, much less how it proves that it'd be a bad idea for the Islanders to defer.

The Devils deferred because they expected to be good the following year. They were wrong.

If the Isles defer, it's because they expect to be good the following year.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

And Toronto for the logic of trading a future 1st without really knowing how bad you will be...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad