Cheer for the Islander tank or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Look at the standings. It's not inconceivable Islanders finish in bottom ten and then have choice to move pick to 2015.

I'm assuming everybody here would prefer that, one more shot at McDavid. But would the Islanders be cocky enough to think they'll be better the following year? Remember, all non-playoff teams are in the lottery.

I have one question. Do the NYI Islanders make their election before the lottery winner is picked this year or after. Ie. could they wait and see if they won lottery and then keep the pick?

This is one of the more interesting things in this horrid season -- where that pick ends up.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Look at the standings. It's not inconceivable Islanders finish in bottom ten and then have choice to move pick to 2015.

I'm assuming everybody here would prefer that, one more shot at McDavid. But would the Islanders be cocky enough to think they'll be better the following year? Remember, all non-playoff teams are in the lottery.

I have one question. Do the NYI Islanders make their election before the lottery winner is picked this year or after. Ie. could they wait and see if they won lottery and then keep the pick?

This is one of the more interesting things in this horrid season -- where that pick ends up.

yes, they have all the way until they are on the clock with their pick to decide...

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
I think it's to one dimensional to look at the islanders pick as a draft pick in 14 or 15 and that's it. That pick could be packaged in either year for young or, veteran talent. I don't see Buffalo using that pick if it's a 14 pick, I'd guess they'd use it to bring in an actual player. At least, they should be looking that route as well.

After all, we aren't going to rebuild the team on all young talent alone.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Is a mid-late first in 2015 worth more than a mid-first 2014?

If yes then root for them to lose

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Hell yes I'm rooting for a tank. I want them to finish right at 11th overall and the Devs below them, essentially making their 1st the 10th overall pick but not allowing them to postpone it for a year. I can even see them giving up a 7th-10th pick just due to the slim chance of them winning the lottery in 2015.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
So let me get this straight, they can choose whether or not to keep the pick? If that's the case, what do we get regarding a first? Or does it just go away? Or was it similar to what NJ did w/ Kovalchuk? (I don't remember too clearly, I just remember a 1st being involved.)

thefifagod

I'm The Survivor
Jul 3, 2008
So let me get this straight, they can choose whether or not to keep the pick? If that's the case, what do we get regarding a first? Or does it just go away? Or was it similar to what NJ did w/ Kovalchuk? (I don't remember too clearly, I just remember a 1st being involved.)

Only if it's a top 10 pick, otherwise the Sabres get the pick in 2014.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
If the Islanders are on the clock with their 2014 pick that is #1-#10, they have the option to defer the pick traded to the Sabres to their 2015 first rounder.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
I see... so, do we cheer for tank...? I think that if the Islanders are expected by their brass to do bad next year but not like us, they still kep the '15 pick because McDavid.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Pragmatically the ideal is that they suck this year, and then next as well if they keep this year's pick. I certainly have no problem rooting for them to be bad two years in a row.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Hell yes I'm rooting for a tank. I want them to finish right at 11th overall and the Devs below them, essentially making their 1st the 10th overall pick but not allowing them to postpone it for a year. I can even see them giving up a 7th-10th pick just due to the slim chance of them winning the lottery in 2015.

Hoping for them to tank and hoping them to finish exactly at #11 overall are completely different things, and only one is reasonable

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
you want the islanders to defer the pick to 2015 and to just keep the 2014 pick....this draft class is relatively "weak" compared to the 2015 class. Plus not to mention if the islanders do blow in 2015 it increases our odds in the lottery for - and to eventually pick mcdavid

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
yes, they have all the way until they are on the clock with their pick to decide...

That's dumb.They should have to decide before draft starts...kinda puts the other team in a pickle..if they want to trade the pick or make any other moves. :shakehead

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Only if its a top 10 pick can they defer it to 2015. If its outside the top 10 then it belongs to Buffalo.

Im not sure if New Jersey finished #3 and the Islanders finished #11 with Devils pick forfeited does the Islanders #11 become #10.

the interesting call on the Isles part if the pick was #9 do they still surrender it or defer it to 2015 then if they miss the playoffs it becomes another lottery pick potentially for Buffalo.

Rammstein816

Mar 16, 2009
That's dumb.They should have to decide before draft starts...kinda puts the other team in a pickle..if they want to trade the pick or make any other moves. :shakehead

It also seemingly allows them to see if "their guy" is still there and, if he isn't, then trade the pick. Kind of reminds me what Regier was trying to do with Columbus at this past year's draft. See if Domi is there and, if he isn't, pass.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007

The counterpoint to that would be: why should the Islanders have to make their decision before knowing who would be available with their pick?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Yes..they would decide before the draft starts if they will give up the pick or not---but that is only if its a top 10 pick.

They would be able to find out if they won the lottery.

the likely time they have to decide would be in mid June after they have scouted the talent et all.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Absolutely cheer for the Islanders tank. I'm not even sure what the coherent counterargument is.

dma0034

Jun 27, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Even if the Islanders give us their pick this year it would be in the top ten... not sure why you wouldn't want them to do bad.... either top ten pick this year or it rolls over to next year with a shot at McDavid.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
The counterpoint to that would be: why should the Islanders have to make their decision before knowing who would be available with their pick?

Because if Buffalo has the pick or not they would need to know at least some days before the draft so they know they have it should they decide to make a trade....if it was at 8 then they could use their 2nds to trade up to top 5.

SECRET SQUIRREL

Jan 17, 2007
Clarence
That's not how it is tho, if it's top 10 then we will have to wait until they are on the clock, only way that isn't the case is if they decide not to defer the pick ahead of time as a courtesy, which I highly doubt will be the case. Sucks but it is what it is...

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Because if Buffalo has the pick or not they would need to know at least some days before the draft so they know they have it should they decide to make a trade....if it was at 8 then they could use their 2nds to trade up to top 5.

moot point. Buffalo could still trade the pick and all of the attachments with it. Whether or not the Islanders defer or use the pick is irrelevant, Buffalo could still, in point of fact, make a trade with the pick.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
moot point. Buffalo could still trade the pick and all of the attachments with it. Whether or not the Islanders defer or use the pick is irrelevant, Buffalo could still, in point of fact, make a trade with the pick.

Could, but it's value would be impacted by the terms.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
Absolutely. For the next 2 years I wish them nothing but the worst. :laugh:

Sorry Islander fans, but we have a vested interest in your sucking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad