Cheer for the Islander tank or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Endless Ike

Jul 21, 2004
Seattle, WA
Regardless if we end up 30th overall next year, there will be no roster as bad as ours.

I guess my worry is that we are extremely far below the cap floor. We will need to add talent, or at least "talent." I'm somewhat preparing myself for the sabres to pick 5th or worse next year.

Fotes18

Sep 7, 2010
Regardless if we end up 30th overall next year, there will be no roster as bad as ours.

It may not matter. We have a god awful roster this year and are still competing for the worst team. That's after we were blessed with a historically bad start which gave us a comfortable cushion.

Realistically I see the Oil being at the very least a little bit better next year. They'll probably get Ekblad and start him immediately, which will help. Plus Scrivens and Fasth should help stabilize them in net at the very least.

Who else could be as bad as us is the question?

Fotes18

Sep 7, 2010
Not necessarily.

If we hold #1 and #3....I expect Murray to hold Edmonton hostage. Threaten to take Ekblad #1, see what we can get out of it.

What more hostage then to actually take him? I know its a different sport, but like San Diego did with Eli, ended up with a massive return from NYG.

I honestly wouldn't hate the idea of getting Ekblad at 1 then having your choice at one of the Sam's, makes your organization significantly better across the board.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Depends what Burkie does. If he stays the course then Calgary will have a worse roster, in a tougher conference playing under a coach that generally loses his locker room after a while.

Fotes18

Sep 7, 2010
I think its very unlikely for lightning to strike twice.

It's hard to be a bubble team, add a marquee talent and get significantly worse.

I agree, just entertaining the idea, which in itself isn't all that bad of one at the very least.

Fotes18

Sep 7, 2010
It's not all that unrealistic that Edmonton gets hot here and catches New York, Florida, and Calgary to wind up at 2 this year. Plus throw in some of the lottery uncertainty.

McCauleyChirps

Gare's "Partner"
May 20, 2006
Rochester, NY
It's not all that unrealistic that Edmonton gets hot here and catches New York, Florida, and Calgary to wind up at 2 this year. Plus throw in some of the lottery uncertainty.

They already have. 6-2-2 in the last 10. The only team that has been awful in the bottom 5 has been Florida.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I think some of the best options to trade for a 2015 1st that will end up lottery eligible are...

NYI - oh wait...
Edmonton, Florida, Carolina - of course
Nashville, Winnipeg - their division is too strong
Washington, Vancouver - just starting their downward slide with little in the prospect pipeline

Maybe Stewart or Stafford could return a 1st, but it would probably only be from a playoff team at the deadline, or maybe a team this summer that over-values them.

I think Ehrhoff is the guy that could definitely return a 1st, but to get that pick from a lottery team the deal would have to be made in the summer or early on before that team realizes they can't make the playoffs. I'm on the fence about whether Buffalo should keep him, but with his age I could see trading him if one of the above teams were willing to give their 2015 1st.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
We will finish last on our own, no Miller makes us so much worse it ain't funny. Couple of good games from Enroth mean nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad