Checkers V: Macgregor Kilpatrick Trophy Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I just want to know if Kev got selfies.

Not of the Caps AHL players sitting next to him, but the hot chicks they were with them.

Generic Russian hottie. Google "Russian platinum blonde fake tits" and they'll be among the first 20 results.

I did not make it last night. Semi-hot girlfriend flaked out on me and made other plans, thinking I wouldn't go two nights in a row.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Saarela with 5 goals in the last 2 games...Kev said he looked like **** last night. Kinda hard to believe he looked like **** tonight. But if he did, then I'd hate to see how he plays when he looks good.

Think of Saarela as a shorter version of Drayson Bowman. His skating is meh. His work along the boards/defensively is meh. His ability to create offense is probably meh-minus. But if you get him the puck in a scoring area, his shot is lethal in every way. He's got an NHL release, NHL power, unreal accuracy, and the ability to anticipate a goalie's movements. He doesn't get many chances, but he simply finishes everything.

And just to be clear, two of those five were empty netters, where he was cherry-picking.

I'm not down on the kid. Not at all. He's just very one-dimensional, it's just that that dimension is NHL elite.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'm a bit confused by this. He's had 25G last year and 30 this year. Bowman never exceeded 14 goals. Bowman, contrary to scouting reports, never displayed a lethal shot in the AHL or NHL and was never a finisher in either league.

If what you are saying is that Bowman struggled to create space and thus any tools he had didn't translate (to the AHL or NHL) and Saarela lacks the ability to create space/offense similarly, and thus it may limit his chances in the NHL, then I get it.

EDIT: Bowman did have 17G one year.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Think of Saarela as a shorter version of Drayson Bowman. His skating is meh. His work along the boards/defensively is meh. His ability to create offense is probably meh-minus. But if you get him the puck in a scoring area, his shot is lethal in every way. He's got an NHL release, NHL power, unreal accuracy, and the ability to anticipate a goalie's movements. He doesn't get many chances, but he simply finishes everything.

And just to be clear, two of those five were empty netters, where he was cherry-picking.

I'm not down on the kid. Not at all. He's just very one-dimensional, it's just that that dimension is NHL elite.
Hmmm....thanks for this. In the games I've seen him, he's been pretty engaged, not afraid to do the board work, and was noticeably fast-ish. He was "okay" agility-wise, but his skating was all about straight line speed. One other thing I noticed was that he was pretty hard to knock off the puck/get the puck away from.

Granted, I've not seen him live but have watched a few Checkers games this season. Frankly, I loved when he and Kuokkanen were on the ice together. Still, he may be a "sell high" candidate, even if I do like him a bit.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
n the games I've seen him, he's been pretty engaged, not afraid to do the board work, and was noticeably fast-ish. He was "okay" agility-wise, but his skating was all about straight line speed. One other thing I noticed was that he was pretty hard to knock off the puck/get the puck away from.
I have been at 4 Checkers games and probably watched another 40. I think your analysis is accurate. Saarela does two things at an NHL-level: shoot, skate with the puck--he is both fast and often cannot be stripped of the puck. Even though he has scored 5 goals in the past two games, it was his goal in game 1 that best displayed his talents. Geekie made a great pass from behind the goal line (Geekie is playing some stellar hockey) and Saarela ripped a wrister before the defender or goalie could react. Watching it live I didn't even think the puck got to Saarela because the D-man's stick was within inches of Saarela's stick. It was definitely an NHL goal-scorer's play.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I'm a bit confused by this. He's had 25G last year and 30 this year. Bowman never exceeded 14 goals. Bowman, contrary to scouting reports, never displayed a lethal shot in the AHL or NHL and was never a finisher in either league.

If what you are saying is that Bowman struggled to create space and thus any tools he had didn't translate (to the AHL or NHL) and Saarela lacks the ability to create space/offense similarly, and thus it may limit his chances in the NHL, then I get it.

EDIT: Bowman did have 17G one year.

Just the fact that you don't notice him at all during the flow of play. I guess Bowman's shot was overrated coming out of juniors. There's nothing overrated about Saarela's shot.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad