Prospect Info: Chase Stillman (#29 overall)

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
That's fair. I am feeling similarly about the Rangers Othmann pick. Like I really do like Othmann. But not at the cost of passing up on Lucius. And not without trading into the 2nd to grab one of Stankoven or Pinelli.

It's more an asset management concern than a knock against the specific player. The players are what they are. They can't control if some GM takes them ahead of where they probably should go. Or think of it like this, in 2004 the Caps could have taken Malkin instead of Ovechkin. And I am sure they would be very happy with having Malkin. But they passed up on Ovechkin. And for the rest of his career, people would be saying, I can't believe we passed up Ovechkin for Malkin.

Othmann is a terrific prospect, but the Rangers passed on Svechkov, who I felt was precisely the player they needed in that organization and a superior prospect to Othmann. The new management in NY is clearly putting a premium on toughness and physicality, I think they're quite influenced by what is going on with the Islanders. However, Svechkov is a fierce competitor and neck-and-neck with Matt Beniers for best two-way forward in the 2021 class -- he just doesn't lay guys out like Othmann can. So, I felt they missed an opportunity. They pushed their top Russian scout out the door during the post-Tom Wilson front office turnover, which may have contributed.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Othmann is a terrific prospect, but the Rangers passed on Svechkov, who I felt was precisely the player they needed in that organization and a superior prospect to Othmann. The new management in NY is clearly putting a premium on toughness and physicality, I think they're quite influenced by what is going on with the Islanders. However, Svechkov is a fierce competitor and neck-and-neck with Matt Beniers for best two-way forward in the 2021 class -- he just doesn't lay guys out like Othmann can. So, I felt they missed an opportunity. They pushed their top Russian scout out the door during the post-Tom Wilson front office turnover, which may have contributed.

I don't disagree. I much prefer Lucius because I think he could bring a lot of what Svechkov does but with a much higher offensive ceiling. But I would have been very very happy with either one of them over Othmann. And I do think Svechkov is probably better offensively than some seem to think. And Svechkov might even be ready to drop into the NHL today as a 3C, unlike Lucius who will need more time. But I think Lucius has legit 1C potential. And the ability to play physical and gritty. Whereas Svechkov's potential I think tops out at 2C, but with a much higher floor.

Really either of these guys, or frankly, even Bolduc would have made me happier than Othmann. But seeing as how Pinelli, Broz, Raty and Stankoven were still available in the 2nd, whom I think are in a similar tier to Bolduc, Bolduc might not have been a good choice there even though he was taken with the very next pick after the Rangers picked Othmann.

I honestly don't know what Drury was thinking. And if we don't have a high ceiling, potential 1C prospect in our system, negotiating with Zibanijad and Chytil is going to be tougher. I do expect Chytil to progress though and become a very good top 6 center. Maybe even a 1C, but at least a 2C. Would be nice to have any of these young centers just in case we really don't or can't re-sign Ziban when the time comes. And if rumors are true and he's actually looking for like 10 mil a year, I think we will have to let the opportunity go. For similar reasons we shouldn't be taking on that kind of cap hit for Eichel. This just leaves Ziban and Chytils agents with a ton of leverage though.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I was curious who you were referring to and I see that Vladimir Lutchenko’s last year as a scout was 2019-20 but I also noticed he’s 72 years old. So he might have retired.

They stole Arizona’s (2016-20) Russian Scout, Sergei Kuznetsov, which is a choice.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
I listened to The Hockey News prospect podcast that has an interview with Chase Stillman. It’s about 3 months old. He says he loved Jarome Iginla and says a modern player style of Matthew Tkachuk (coincidence?)
I LOVE that Jarome comparison.

man was he fun to play with in NHL 03

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
What is he being cited as a "source" of? It's his professional evaluation. Attacking the veracity of a source rather than the substance of the evaluation/facts being presented isn't even an argument.

It's literally Pronman's only job to watch and evaluate prospects. He was in person in Dallas for the U18s. You can disagree with his opinion, but it's an interesting take to completely write off anything Pronman or the Athletic says as if they're Eklund. Mind blowing that people here claim that Pronman is uninformed.

Again, it's reasonable to disagree with his opinion on the merits of his substantive evaluation. But to act like he doesn't watch the prospects or is unreliable is a horrendous argument.

My mistake. Confused my Corys.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Like you I am a big fan of Chibrikov. I also was hugely high on Stankoven and Pinelli. But this does not mean I was unhappy with Chase Stillman, because he is not only a very good prospect, but he also adds a dimension of physicality and high-compete ferocity which the Devils have lacked up front in their top 9 for several seasons. But the idea that Stillman is just a hard-hitter is simply not true, he's much, much more:

Not speaking towards Stillman at all, but I hate highlights like this. Not the play necessarily, but the call. Announcers going on and on like it was some great move to put the defender down. The reality is that the defender just caught a rut and fell.

It was a nice finish though.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Not speaking towards Stillman at all, but I hate highlights like this. Not the play necessarily, but the call. Announcers going on and on like it was some great move to put the defender down. The reality is that the defender just caught a rut and fell.

It was a nice finish though.

Nah the reality is that the defender is just a North Bay player and North Bay sucks. :nod:

In all seriousness I was at that game though, still remember how awesome that goal was. The camera angle doesn't really do it justice...I was behind the net where the goal was scored, I remember Stillman actually did fake out the defender and certainly contributed to him losing balance

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Was looking at Stillman’s Danish U20 stat line and saw he received 43 PIMs in 8 games. What was he doing over there? :lol:

Reactions: Guttersniped

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
Was looking at Stillman’s Danish U20 stat line and saw he received 43 PIMs in 8 games. What was he doing over there? :lol:
slaps-everyone.gif

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
right now he looks like the next Connor Chatham to me so Brett Howden would be quite an upgrade.
i see what you mean from a stats standpoint, but chatham joined the OHL as basically an 18 yr old, while stillman joined as a 16.5 yr old

plus, we had an extra year to see stillman perform, and he crushed men in denmark (2 ppg!), so while that 1st yr production in OHL is equal, context is a bit diff, and makes stillman look more impressive

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Big yikes if that's who you think he looks like.
the best part about the internet is no one will remember this if/when i’m wildly off base.

EDIT:
i see what you mean from a stats standpoint, but chatham joined the OHL as basically an 18 yr old, while stillman joined as a 16.5 yr old

plus, we had an extra year to see stillman perform, and he crushed men in denmark (2 ppg!), so while that 1st yr production in OHL is equal, context is a bit diff, and makes stillman look more impressive
See, and it only took a couple minutes! i didn’t even realize Stillman’s hockeydb page was fully missing his 20-21 season. Brain is clearly still in offseason form.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad