Prospect Info: Chase Stillman (#29 overall)

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Nobody is making unjustified logical leaps about his skating/speed. Here's Pronman's write up below. Just because you don't like a criticism about a player doesn't make it unjustified. There are things to like about Stillman's game, but footspeed isn't one of them.

Can guarantee I've seen him play more than Pronman. Pronman is wrong. Case closed.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Skating
Stillman is a very strong skater, which helps him play his game at both ends of the rink. He has a very good first step and excellent acceleration. This allows him to reach top speed quickly, helping him to win races to loose pucks. His ability to change speeds helps Stillman to avoid defenders both with and without the puck. Stillman’s top-end speed is also very good. Stillman can take a defender wide and cut to the front of the net. His edgework and agility allow Stillman to avoid defenders and help him in the neutral zone as well. He has good crossovers and gains speed out of his turns. Stillman is also strong on his skates. His powerful lower body helps his balance and allows Stillman to be strong on the puck.
2021 NHL Draft #47: Chase Stillman Scouting Report

In addition to his motor and strong work ethic, Stillman is a fantastic skater with high-end top speed and the ability to make players and goaltenders look silly with a quick deke or shot.
https://thehockeywriters.com/chase-stillman-2021-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

I think a big part of why Stillman was able to take his game to another level this year is his improved speed and quickness. By adding more of a speed element to his game, he has been able to play that physical role more consistently, without the fear of taking himself out of the play. Additionally, that speed is allowing him to be someone who can lead the attack in transition and not just follow.
OHL Prospects: My Final Top 50 OHL Players for the 2021 NHL Entry Draft - Part 4: 10-1

He showed good puck control while he had possession — specifically one moment where he sped through the neutral and offensive zone puckhandling around a few of his opponents to get into the zone....He was also very good on his edges and his transitions are so smooth which helps to switch directions to follow the play with great ease.
2021 Draft Countdown No. 55-51: Jack Bar, Chase Stillman, Anton Olsson, Oliver Kapanen, Ryder Korczak

People love regurgitating criticisms that confirm their preconceived notions.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
If Stillman is 6'2, which i believe to be true based on him growing 2 inches, he is a pretty damn good skater. It is why 5 minutes of film had me thinking Josh Anderson. Im not sure why Pronman believes he has skating issues. Not only does he appear to have good jump and top end speed but his edgework appears quite good. If he produces to the tune of 1.5 PPG people could surely look stupid in this thread.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
This is the roster from the 2019 U17 tournament which was played in December. These was a blurb from last week. He was 6'1 as a 16 year old.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210725-140955_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210725-140955_Chrome.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20210725-141352_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210725-141352_Chrome.jpg
    378.2 KB · Views: 12

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Land of Hope & Cups.
This is the roster from the 2019 U17 tournament which was played in December. These was a blurb from last week. He was 6'1 as a 16 year old.

Thanks for this. We might questions his talent or skill set, but nothing so far tells me he isn’t motivated. Good kid, good stock, brings an element the team needs.

Loved one of the videos where he took like three hits on a shift and the last one caused a turnover and a opportunity for his team. Devs are starving for that.

Reactions: Guadana

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Wait. Correct me if I am wrong, but that article is saying that he added 3(!) inches this past year, so that would make him 6'4" right now. If so, that's ridiculous.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Wait. Correct me if I am wrong, but that article is saying that he added 3(!) inches this past year, so that would make him 6'4" right now. If so, that's ridiculous.
Stillman? That would be insane, we might be looking at our own Tom Wilson (hehe Rangers), but I think he's still around 6 foot or so.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
Stillman? That would be insane, we might be looking at our own Tom Wilson (hehe Rangers), but I think he's still around 6 foot or so.
Yea I agree. Watching him on the ice, it looked like he might have gotten an extra inch and bumped up to 6'2", but 6'4" would be amazing, especially for a player of his style of play.

Reactions: Lou is God

NJ DevLolz

The Many Saints of Newark
Sep 30, 2017
Did he play with Byfield at ES ? Because if the answer is no, I’m realllllyyyy giddy

rrekaj13

Jun 15, 2012
New Jersey
The more I read / watch on Chase, the more excited I get that we’ve found one of those heart-and-soul utility competitors that’s critical to building a winning culture + winning in the playoffs.

Blake Coleman is the model — high compete, high motor, high character, tough & gritty, speed & size— and it’s clear the Devils are increasingly drafting for them with Chase, Mercer, Samu, etc.

Hopefully Chase can build on the offensive skills he’s shown are there; either way we want more gamers like this to help us push for a playoff spot and ultimately go deep with the high skill core we’re assembling.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
I'll never trust these draft-day write-ups after Adam Larsson's skating was praised universally.

Wait till he gets some pro games and then we can complain.
EVERYBODY jumps the gun here, it's fine being optimistic and searching the web for articles that reassure our own opinions, but I went back and read our prospects/draft analysis from 2014, the things said about Steve Santini and John Merill lol, they were gonna be all stars and shore up our backend for years to come. And the forwards, Blandisi, Boucher, Quenneville etc. You just dont know what they're gonna do till they're doing it

Reactions: RNCDevil

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
EVERYBODY jumps the gun here, it's fine being optimistic and searching the web for articles that reassure our own opinions, but I went back and read our prospects/draft analysis from 2014, the things said about Steve Santini and John Merill lol, they were gonna be all stars and shore up our backend for years to come. And the forwards, Blandisi, Boucher, Quenneville etc. You just dont know what they're gonna do till they're doing it
I was probably one of those singing the praises of Santini, I thought for sure he was going to be like another Stevens-type defenseman.

Merrill I was never crazy about, thought he had potential and could be a top 4 Dman but nothing special, Santini on the other hand.....

LeedsMonster

Mar 8, 2008
Updated my picture!

I love the way he plays, just became my favorite prospect (sorry Shakir, Luke may have stole some of my love for you to be honest lmao)

if Chase can pan out in our top-9, he will be a player our rivals despise!
From watching some videos his floor IMO is as a legit NHL player. I see a very good 3rd liner here who can score 20. I'll take that 10/10. Initially preferred Pastujov or Morrow, but I really like this pick alot after watching him in action. I suggest any disappointed fans do the same.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
I was probably one of those singing the praises of Santini, I thought for sure he was going to be like another Stevens-type defenseman.

Merrill I was never crazy about, thought he had potential and could be a top 4 Dman but nothing special, Santini on the other hand.....
Santini was rated our best D prospect by a lot of us, I admit I was team Patrick a few years back and was DEAD WRONG, I admit it, but we can't tell other people you're wrong (or right) about a player thats years away from joining the big club

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

The best part of Stevens retiring was we slowly moved away from having every defensive prospect inexplicably compared to him.

Stevens was a full-time NHL player who scored 25 points in his D+1 year. Santini was a junior at Boston College in his D+3 season, Stevens scored 65 points in his third season in the NHL.

I know you know this about Stevens and I guess people mean the comparison in terms of late stage Stevens but it never made sense to me to compare a prospect with the end stages of a NHL player’s career.

My dislike for the comparison (which is probably is irrationally strong, but it’s still burns) came from particularly from people making it with David Hale (who turned 40! in June) who got drafted in the 1st round by scoring somewhat more than Santini did in the USHL but then preceded to never do that sort of thing again. (Merrill noticeably outperformed Santini in terms of scoring, he was predicted to go in second half of the 1st round but fell to us at #35 due to character questions after he was suspended at high school for an hazing/harassment incident.)

Santini Fun Fact: In his last season in Boston College, 2015-16, Santini played with Miles Woods (who had his big single NCAA season w/ 35 pts in 37 games at age 20), two of Tom Fitzgerald’s kids (lead scorer Ryan and Casey), and Chris Shero (yep).

Chris Shero sort of played, his Rudy-esque stats were 1GP 0 points that year and he had 3GP 0 points in his next, final season in 2016-17. Apparently that’s all you need to be amateur scout for NHL team because he became one on the Devils staff in 2017-18. (I :heart: NHL nepotism.) Looks like Chris is hanging in there as a scout with the team, he was with the team in 2020-21 and he’d still listed on the team directory.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Chris Shero sort of played, his Rudy-esque stats were 1GP 0 points that year and he had 3GP 0 points in his next, final season in 2016-17. Apparently that’s all you need to be amateur scout for NHL team because he became one on the Devils staff in 2017-18. (I :heart: NHL nepotism.) Looks like Chris is hanging in there as a scout with the team, he was with the team in 2020-21 and he’d still listed on the team directory.

Yikes!

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
i love this pick.

the devils have drafted plenty of forwards, who excel at playing on the perimeter as playmaker. they also added a few snipper. it was about time they added some talent, which helps to create the space, those players need to operate.

Reactions: The Wumpus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad