Prospect Info: Chase Stillman (#29 overall)

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
With Mercer graduating, I'm going to go out on a limb and rank Stillman as the Devils #3 prospect behind Hughes/Holtz and just ahead of Mukhamadullin. I really like what I've seen of him this year, and we can likely expect to see him on Team Canada's bottom 6 for the WJC tournament.
Even thoughI replaced my photo if Shakir with Chase, I dont think I can have him above Mukhamadullin just yet

Shakir is getting some near unprecedented development in the KHL at his age AND its understood he will come over next season to join the AHL.

That level of trust his KHL team has in him, as well as seeing early commitment from a Russian prospect, is why I think he is our 2nd best prospect (Mercer will graduate)

though I think Chase's floor is an NHL player, while Shakir's upside is a top pair dman

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Even thoughI replaced my photo if Shakir with Chase, I dont think I can have him above Mukhamadullin just yet

Shakir is getting some near unprecedented development in the KHL at his age AND its understood he will come over next season to join the AHL.

That level of trust his KHL team has in him, as well as seeing early commitment from a Russian prospect, is why I think he is our 2nd best prospect (Mercer will graduate)

though I think Chase's floor is an NHL player, while Shakir's upside is a top pair dman

I would say Mukhamadullin certainly has a very high ceiling, I've felt this way since the outset of his draft-eligible season in 2019.

However, the idea that Stillman lacks upside is without merit. I feel Stillman's upside is a 30-30-60 power RW in the Tkachuk tradition. That's a pretty awesome player to have. The kid can shoot the lights out and passes very well, the idea that he's a future bottom 6 banger is patently untrue to me. Not saying you're promoting such ideas, but I just like to give my reasoning why I'm so high on Chase Stillman.

Reactions: RangerDoggo

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta

Muk the second best prospect ? I agree he is an exciting prospect and doing well in the KHL at a very young age , however I think I have Luke Hughes and Holtz ahead of him and Shakir third with Stillman very closely behind at 4th. Mercer as graduated when ranking .

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
With Mercer graduating, I'm going to go out on a limb and rank Stillman as the Devils #3 prospect behind Hughes/Holtz and just ahead of Mukhamadullin. I really like what I've seen of him this year, and we can likely expect to see him on Team Canada's bottom 6 for the WJC tournament.

I was thinking the same thing about Stillman at the WJC! Do you think Holtz will be playing for Sweden? I feel that if he’s in Utica they’ll let him go, but if he’s with the big club at that moment, I’m not sure… What’re your thoughts? Muk is pretty much a lock imo
Doesn’t seem likely that he’ll make the world junior team. He wasn’t even one of the 31 forwards invited to the World junior summer showcase this summer and he hasn’t exactly been lighting it up in Sudbury so far. Unless he goes off soon he’s not gonna be on that team.

NJ Fan 12

Jun 23, 2020
The World Juniors is a tournament for mostly 2002's. Stillman is a 2003.

Doesn’t seem likely that he’ll make the world junior team. He wasn’t even one of the 31 forwards invited to the World junior summer showcase this summer and he hasn’t exactly been lighting it up in Sudbury so far. Unless he goes off soon he’s not gonna be on that team.
Wo

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
The World Juniors is a tournament for mostly 2002's. Stillman is a 2003.

Wo
They were talking about this world juniors saying that they thought he would play for team Canada this year. I just said thats highly unlikely considering he wasn’t even invited to the world junior summer showcase. Typically if you’re not invited to that you don’t really have much of a chance at all to play at the world juniors this year.

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
I would say Mukhamadullin certainly has a very high ceiling, I've felt this way since the outset of his draft-eligible season in 2019.

However, the idea that Stillman lacks upside is without merit. I feel Stillman's upside is a 30-30-60 power RW in the Tkachuk tradition. That's a pretty awesome player to have. The kid can shoot the lights out and passes very well, the idea that he's a future bottom 6 banger is patently untrue to me. Not saying you're promoting such ideas, but I just like to give my reasoning why I'm so high on Chase Stillman.
I also think Chase has high-end 2nd line talent, though I see him ending up a solid third liner

I was merely referencing that he has an NHL floor IMO, hes too smart and athletic to not. I was then countering that with Mukhamadullin's ceiling, as I think his floor is below NHL hockey

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Muk the second best prospect ? I agree he is an exciting prospect and doing well in the KHL at a very young age , however I think I have Luke Hughes and Holtz ahead of him and Shakir third with Stillman very closely behind at 4th. Mercer as graduated when ranking .

Holtz is our best prospect, Mercer included.

I'm still skeptical of Stillman. But he's just a pup. Tons of development time to go.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Holtz is our best prospect, Mercer included.

I'm still skeptical of Stillman. But he's just a pup. Tons of development time to go.

I've stated at length why I had Dawson Mercer ranked as the Devils #1 prospect on the Mercer thread. This is no knock on Holtz, who I had very close behind him. I just see Mercer's upside as extremely high and feel he can be the rare player who can positively impact every single aspect of the game, while possessing the elite compete level to achieve this virtually every shift.

I do not see any reason to be skeptical of Stillman. The mix of his physicality and compete level with his under appreciated scoring skills give him the potential to be an increasingly rare and extremely valuable type of NHL forward. I see him as a Tkachuk-type forward, though maybe without the PPG potential. But I don't see any reason to think he can't be a 25-30 goal RW who crashes creases with reckless abandon and softens up opposing defenses with his relentless physicality.

Stillman has literally excelled everywhere we've seen him. He was one of the top rookies in the OHL in 19-20, dominated in a short stint in Denmark in 2020. He was outstanding in the 2020 U-18 tournament, and he's off to an excellent start in 2021-22.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
I've stated at length why I had Dawson Mercer ranked as the Devils #1 prospect on the Mercer thread. This is no knock on Holtz, who I had very close behind him. I just see Mercer's upside as extremely high and feel he can be the rare player who can positively impact every single aspect of the game, while possessing the elite compete level to achieve this virtually every shift.

I do not see any reason to be skeptical of Stillman. The mix of his physicality and compete level with his under appreciated scoring skills give him the potential to be an increasingly rare and extremely valuable type of NHL forward. I see him as a Tkachuk-type forward, though maybe without the PPG potential. But I don't see any reason to think he can't be a 25-30 goal RW who crashes creases with reckless abandon and softens up opposing defenses with his relentless physicality.

Stillman has literally excelled everywhere we've seen him. He was one of the top rookies in the OHL in 19-20, dominated in a short stint in Denmark in 2020. He was outstanding in the 2020 U-18 tournament, and he's off to an excellent start in 2021-22.
Mercer and Stillman on the same line down the road makes one quite giddy with excitement.

Sheros expletives

Jan 9, 2014

To be fair the danish junior leagues absolutely sucks, domination is required for any decent prospect.
Denmark is a trash country with trash people.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

I hear ya. I think it's great that we have prospects we can talk about in this manner instead of guys we just hope might make the NHL one day. Re: Holtz and Mercer, and no, I'm not saying these kids will ever be near this level nor am I necessarily comparing their styles, but to me it's like asking if you want Ovechkin or Backstrom. The great thing is we can have both! So it just comes down to preference if you had to choose just one. I'm glad we don't :)

As far as Stillman, I really have little to base my opinion of him on so I have to bow to your knowledge there.

Sheros expletives

Jan 9, 2014
Say What?!?!?!?

greetings A great Dane
2o5kevi55cr11.jpg

Reactions: GameSeven

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad