Prospect Info: Chase Stillman (#29 overall)

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021

The whole draft class will end up wearing Hughes jerseys at some point.

How am I just now seeing this?!

I love Chase as a person and a prospect - I cannot wait to see him succeed with us, gives me proud father vibes

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
I'll say it for the hundredth time -- Stillman's skill is being greatly undersold, he's going to score a ton this year.
Hopefully he does. The OHL seems to be a bit watered down this season from what I’ve seen and heard largely due to them not playing last season so he should perform well. 1g and 2a in 3 games so far.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Chase Stillman is a very smart hockey player who excels at winning battles and finding soft spots in the offensive zone. He also is a very adept passer and high-level shooter.

I fear there is a misconception in the analytics age that a player who plays with edge and physicality is somehow a dinosaur who lacks skill. This is not true. A couple pages back on this thread there was a poster comparing Stillman to Connor Chatham. This is patently absurd.

Chase Stillman is a heck of a hockey player, and it is paramount we realize that. He is going to score a lot of points this year in the OHL, and he's going to be fun to watch every shift. Though he might not have quite the offensive upside of a Tkachuk or Podkolzin, he certainly is the same "type" of player and offers an excellent mix of physicality, intangibles and natural abilities.

Buck Dancer

Jul 13, 2021
Chase Stillman is a very smart hockey player who excels at winning battles and finding soft spots in the offensive zone. He also is a very adept passer and high-level shooter.

I fear there is a misconception in the analytics age that a player who plays with edge and physicality is somehow a dinosaur who lacks skill. This is not true. A couple pages back on this thread there was a poster comparing Stillman to Connor Chatham. This is patently absurd.

Chase Stillman is a heck of a hockey player, and it is paramount we realize that. He is going to score a lot of points this year in the OHL, and he's going to be fun to watch every shift. Though he might not have quite the offensive upside of a Tkachuk or Podkolzin, he certainly is the same "type" of player and offers an excellent mix of physicality, intangibles and natural abilities.

I absolutely loved the Mercer pick and I’m almost as happy with the Stillman pick. Having guys with that skill set is greatly under appreciated by a lot of fanbase, including ours. I’ll take a guy who thinks the game at an elite level who can also contribute offensively with a high end motor over a better offensive forward with crazy skills but lacks the intangibles.

To me, you win with guys like that and they’re the ideal complementary players to slide next to your franchise players. Ideally, I’d want Fitz to swing a trade for one of the Tkatchuk brothers to pair with Jack Hughes. That would be one of the best up and coming duo’s in the league and slide in someone like Sharangovich or Holtz on the other wing and watch out! That pipe dream probably wont happen but Stillman is a good consolation prize lol

Last edited:

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut

hey now i posted a retraction on the connor chatham comparison :D

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Keep it going kid . Nope he lights it up this year. Very nice mixture of skills

With Mercer graduating, I'm going to go out on a limb and rank Stillman as the Devils #3 prospect behind Hughes/Holtz and just ahead of Mukhamadullin. I really like what I've seen of him this year, and we can likely expect to see him on Team Canada's bottom 6 for the WJC tournament.

Reactions: Devs3cups

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
With Mercer graduating, I'm going to go out on a limb and rank Stillman as the Devils #3 prospect behind Hughes/Holtz and just ahead of Mukhamadullin. I really like what I've seen of him this year, and we can likely expect to see him on Team Canada's bottom 6 for the WJC tournament.
I was thinking the same thing about Stillman at the WJC! Do you think Holtz will be playing for Sweden? I feel that if he’s in Utica they’ll let him go, but if he’s with the big club at that moment, I’m not sure… What’re your thoughts? Muk is pretty much a lock imo

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I was thinking the same thing about Stillman at the WJC! Do you think Holtz will be playing for Sweden? I feel that if he’s in Utica they’ll let him go, but if he’s with the big club at that moment, I’m not sure… What’re your thoughts? Muk is pretty much a lock imo

Mukhamadullin was the top D in terms of ice time for the last WJC, I fully expect him to be wearing a letter for Team Russia this year. Holtz -- I think he just cuts the age limit making him eligible for Team Sweden. If I'm the Devils I let him play, unless he's called up to the NHL at that point, of course.

I also feel Salminen and Vilen make Team Finland.

It should be an exciting WJC for Devils fans, though unfortunately I can't see Edwards or Shlaine with much of a chance to make Team USA. Malek would be a very long shot for the Czechs and Hurtig would be an even longer shot for the Swedes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad