Prospect Info: Chase Stillman (#29 overall)

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The grandson of former NHLer Bud Stefanski, son of former NHLer Cory Stillman, and brother of Chicago Blackhawks defenceman Riley Stillman, Chase Stillman is looking to carry on the family legacy in the 2021 NHL Draft. Still was drafted by the Sudbury Wolves in the second round, 25th overall, at the 2019 OHL Priority Draft. He put up 13 goals and 21 assists for 34 points in 58 games as a rookie. Stillman was named to the OHL First All-Rookie Team. He also played for Team Canada White at the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge. He had three goals and an assist for four points in six games.

Last season Stillman played for Esberg’s Under-20 Team in the Danish Junior League when the OHL season did not start. He scored nine goals and seven assists for 16 points in eight games. He also joined Team Canada at the IIHF Under-18 World Championships, playing for Team Canada and winning a gold medal. Stillman put up two goals and two assists for four points in seven tournament games. Having appeared in an IIHF tournament for Canada, Stillman has declared his international eligibility. He was born in St. Louis, Missouri.

2021 NHL Draft #47: Chase Stillman Scouting Report

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
I don't know that I like picking players who don't have top-line potential in the 1st round. But I suppose it was the late 1st round, at least.

Look at the history of 29th overall. Not much has come out of that spot. The Devils went with a player they were conformable with they felt has some kind of a chance to be an NHL player. Which is what you are looking for.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
This is @StevenToddIves writeup for Stillman. He had him ranked #44.

RW Chase Stillman, Esbjerg Denmark
infuriating power winger hits anything that moves and scores a ton in the dirty areas — an NHL-playoff-type player for your middle six and future fan favorite at the pro level

Sounds like the type of winger lots of people wanted

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Possibly overdrafted a bit but he'll be a hard-working middle six guy who is a fan favorite and an absolute pest, has some pretty underrated skill as well.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I wonder what his best player comparison for skill ceiling wise would be. Based off the scouting reports posted I instantly think of Zach parise a bit but...:dunno:

HyperX

Fire Ruff and co. !
Jul 21, 2021
I like that we took one of the kids who didnt play in a normal junior setting this year - means we must have really liked him from last years scouting!

Plus you gotta love a kid who plays bigger than his size. Seems like he may be a more skilled but smaller Nate Bastian

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
This is the pick that your scouts earn their paycheck. Very little public info from past year. Hopefully they did some digging here.

The fact they had a jersey ready is a good sign.

I am very curious how this works. Do they have the hot press on hand, or do they press like 10 or so jerseys?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad