GDT: Charlotte Hornets and other NBA talk

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I remember watching that video of the guy punching the referee on RealTV back in the 00s. That was brutal.

I've been watching the NBA since about 1995, officiating was pretty lousy then, but back then there really wasn't a place to publicly rant about it other than your local sports station.

The two that really still burn me are 2002 Kings vs Lakers and the 2006 Finals. Both were pretty damn inexcusable in my opinion and the media should have pressured Stern and the league in general into having to answer for that. But it wasn't until Donaghy happened that those stories leaked and by then both were long in the past.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
I remember watching that video of the guy punching the referee on RealTV back in the 00s. That was brutal.

I've been watching the NBA since about 1995, officiating was pretty lousy then, but back then there really wasn't a place to publicly rant about it other than your local sports station.

The two that really still burn me are 2002 Kings vs Lakers and the 2006 Finals. Both were pretty damn inexcusable in my opinion and the media should have pressured Stern and the league in general into having to answer for that. But it wasn't until Donaghy happened that those stories leaked and by then both were long in the past.
The thing that fascinates me is technical for Tim Duncan and the ref asking if he wants... to fight him?

Reactions: tarheelhockey

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
@HisIceness Lamelo when Kuzma tries to set him up to get posterized by Lebron.

upload_2021-3-19_22-41-23.jpeg

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
The best thing to happen to the Hornets since Kimba and he gets hurt. Why can't we have nice things?

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018

I appreciate how chill Jimmy is here.

And here is Dwight Howard possessed by his old self.

Last edited:

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Hornets season just took a major blow, what a bummer for the kid. Should probably just focus on getting a high lottery pick now and getting another potential star to pair with Melo going forward.

Reactions: Tryamw

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Hornets season just took a major blow, what a bummer for the kid. Should probably just focus on getting a high lottery pick now and getting another potential star to pair with Melo going forward.
Not an NBA fan.. but just heard the news about Ball (Charlotte) They can only ever have bad (TM) luck. Sucks for him and the fans

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Not an NBA fan.. but just heard the news about Ball (Charlotte) They can only ever have bad (TM) luck. Sucks for him and the fans

I haven't really been an NBA fan in years either -- loved the Bad Boys Pistons but it has gone very downhill since then and in recent years it's been a joke with superstars just teaming up with other superstars and the same players/teams in the finals every year -- just boring, plus the Hornets have been terrible. But been getting a bit more into it the last year or so with there seeming to be more parity and some bright spots for the Hornets. Watched some Hornets games down the stretch last year at times and then once they drafted Ball I decided to give it more of a shot and get the NBA cable packages and watch games more. Up to this point pretty much the only games I've missed this year have been the ones that conflict with Canes games and a handful of others when I was busy or whatever. The team has been a blast to watch this year and that was largely because of Ball and the way he plays. Still a ways away from truly contending but I do think that Ball will revive the franchise and make professional basketball in the Carolinas relevant again.

With Melo being out for the year now, not sure how closely I'll follow it. My guess is the team just sinks from here on but I'll probably watch some more games to see how it goes. Maybe they can surprise me and some of the other young guys or veterans like Hayward can step up in the meantime but I kinda doubt it. Ball was having a truly historic rookie season honestly and he lifted the play of every other player on the team when he was on the court. At least I have the Canes this year; maybe the Hornets and Panthers can actually be good next year, but I'm expecting more of the same...

Reactions: DaveG and Tryamw

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I tuned into the Hornets game this afternoon but I had to turn it off. They're doing fine against the Suns, it's the God-awful court and the ugly uniforms with that stupid 'Buzz City' moniker slapped on both, that was too much for me to handle.

Reactions: DaveG

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Does anybody else think its strange that all the sports papers are obsessed with Kevin Durant's rather tame response to Michael Rappaport's harassment? It's amazing to me that Rappaport can literally leave obscene voicemails for Bababooey and other members of the Howard Stern show on a daily basis that use the same "homophobic" slur and much, much worse and get away with it, but can then turn around and drop a dime on Durant. I mean just google Rappaport and Bababooey and watch the videos.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
The thing I don't get is why Durant keeps engaging in this kind of nonsense. You're making millions of dollars, a first ballot hall of famer, and you create burner accounts to defend yourself? Twitter idiots are going to be Twitter idiots, let it go.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Does anybody else think its strange that all the sports papers are obsessed with Kevin Durant's rather tame response to Michael Rappaport's harassment? It's amazing to me that Rappaport can literally leave obscene voicemails for Bababooey and other members of the Howard Stern show on a daily basis that use the same "homophobic" slur and much, much worse and get away with it, but can then turn around and drop a dime on Durant. I mean just google Rappaport and Bababooey and watch the videos.

When two guys are both dicks and are doing dick things to each other, which guy do you use to sell your papers? The richer, more famous dick.

"What gets more clicks" is always the right answer when it comes to the modern media.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
When two guys are both dicks and are doing dick things to each other, which guy do you use to sell your papers? The richer, more famous dick.

"What gets more clicks" is always the right answer when it comes to the modern media.

Fair enough, not a lot of people probably still know who Rappaport is.

But it's wild that a star athlete steps out of line once (as far as I know) and everybody jumps his shit, meanwhile this other douchebag says some of the most vile crap I've ever heard (although it is hilarious), and they even play it on the radio, and he suffers no penalty at all.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Fair enough, not a lot of people probably still know who Rappaport is.

But it's wild that a star athlete steps out of line once (as far as I know) and everybody jumps his shit, meanwhile this other douchebag says some of the most vile crap I've ever heard (although it is hilarious), and they even play it on the radio, and he suffers no penalty at all.

His penalty is being Michael Rappaport.

Seriously, could that guy get any more cancelled?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad