GDT: Charlotte Hornets and other NBA talk

surfzone365

Jan 13, 2021
Ashburn, VA
The young stars now like Luka, Morant, and Zion are a lot more fun to watch for me than some of the guys who were hyped as hell 5-6 years ago (Andrew Wiggins, looking at you). Ball is fun, not sure what his ceiling is but he's a good building block. So far Hayward has brought it but I'm still skeptical of that contract, doesn't help that Batum is still going to be getting paid past this year because of it.

I grew up watching the original Hornets too, we were season ticket holders starting in the Dave Cowens era until about 2001. I remember when they would jump from FOX Sports South one night to WJZY-tv the next, and then they went to WAXN (Action 64) in their last years which I forget even exists sometimes. Actually I remember when some of their less star-studded home games weren't televised at all and I had to listen to them on WBT

Those late 90's early 2000's were special times. I grew up a Bulls fan, but the Hornets grew on me while I was living down there. They never got the spotlight they deserved and it crushed me when they moved to New Orleans. Thankfully they are back. I have yet to attend a game at Spectrum but look forward to it soon.

You mentioned Hayward. To me, he is proving to be worth every cent of the big money they are throwing his way. I was a little skeptical after guys like Kemba, Batum and Bacon departing, but it seems they are doing OK in relative terms without them. Man, I really liked Kemba in Charlotte though. For me, the jury is still out of coach Borrego. I know he comes out of that SA Spurs system, but Im not the only one scratching my head during games at times. For now, I'll trust he knows how to use this talent on the floor much better than I could!

Reactions: HisIceness

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
The Hornets would have been better off keeping Steve Clifford I think, he got a lot out of those Kemba-based teams. Cho and Jordan should have listened to him when he begged the two of them to draft Donovan Mitchell instead of Monk. Oh well, our loss is Orlandos gain.

I agree w/ Borrego, jury is still out but I like him as a person at least.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Well on paper they were.

But it's all good, I'm not a Nets fan so it's whatever. I do like Steve Nash though.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Ball hitting a bit of a rookie wall it seems the last few games. Was bound to happen, hope to see him rebound quickly though and play a bit smarter.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
LaVar Ball says LaMelo isn't happy coming off bench; Hornets coach says rookie has 'got to get better'

I can't say LaVar is completely wrong regarding the role player thing, but there's going to be times where him not speaking on coaching decisions is going to be for the best for everyone. This is one of those times.

I think the team will be completely fine just ignoring him. LaMelo hasn’t seemed to be an issue at all at any point so I don’t care what his dad says if the team doesn’t.

surfzone365

Jan 13, 2021
Ashburn, VA
Excellent comeback win for the Hornets tonight. Came into the 4th quarter down by 12 and went on a 25-4 run, but couldn’t put them away until a very late GH drive to the hoop. Still looking for some consistency with this squad. Also, playing defense helps your cause...just sayin...

Reactions: HisIceness

surfzone365

Jan 13, 2021
Ashburn, VA
I echo the cry for defense. Imagine how good they could be if the played some D. I would love to have a defensive coach like Tom Thibadeau.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Alright well the Hornets have gone back to suckitude, I'm bored, someone trade for Bradley Beal or Lonzo Ball.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
The best part is at 8-11 they are in the 8th spot, and are only something like 6 games back from 1st place. The know nothings on ESPN told me the Eastern Conference would be strong this year but I knew they were lying.

surfzone365

Jan 13, 2021
Ashburn, VA
Good quality road win tonight. Miami doesn’t have a great record but it’s not a team to take lightly. Buzz City boys have been hitting their 3’s.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Hornets suddenly on a roll again

Yep now just need to avoid the upcoming 5+ game losing streak. Need to string together some wins without losing more than 1 at a time in between... Either way though this has been a really damn fun team to watch.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Good quality road win tonight. Miami doesn’t have a great record but it’s not a team to take lightly. Buzz City boys have been hitting their 3’s.

This was also the first game that they’ve had their whole team healthy and playing I believe. They had some COVID issues and I think Butler had missed many of those games. Don’t let the record fool you, that Heat team we beat is a very good team, up there with the Bucks.

Reactions: surfzone365

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
LaMelo with a career high last night in his 3rd start, but the Jazz are just way too good for this team, especially with PJ and then Graham injured. Our bench got absolutely dominated. Future is bright and Ball is the real f***ing deal but we’re at least a year or two away from truly competing.

Reactions: Lucky Lindy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->