GDT: Charlotte Hornets and other NBA talk

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Nice to see the Charlotte Bobcats made an appearance.

I keep seeing this narrative, "Bright future, lot to build on, etc.". Is it really true though? Maybe they are a future 5th seed or something but as they are now they are nowhere near Eastern Conference contenders. They need a Center and someone who can defend the perimeter, or just defend in general, 144 points given up.

LaMelo is fun but so was Jeff Skinner, and that led to nowhere.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Injuries were rough but the expectations still needed to be higher for this team. Was a disgraceful end to the season, frankly. We need to hit on this draft pick and get some young players to seriously take some steps forward (and a healthy Hayward would be nice) -- Melo, Monk, PJ, Bridges, etc.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

I'm not sure if the Hornets aren't in the bottom 10 sports franchises across the MLB/NBA/NHL/NFL. That last playoff series win in 2002 came when the 1st round was still a best of 5, and they've never been past round 2. The only time they came close to winning a 7-game series/Eastern Conference Finals, they blew a 15-point lead leading Milwaukee 3-2 in Game 6 at the Tyvola Road Coliseum in 2001 and then lost Game 7.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
LaMelo officially wins ROTY. So happy for him and glad we didn’t screw up and pass on him. Does he still have concerns? Yes. But he was legitimately amazing this year and may be the most exciting player to come rough this team since Jordan bought it. Future is a lot brighter for this team than it was before we saw what Ball is capable of.

Reactions: Tryamw

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte

I've called the Atlanta Hawks the most average team in pro sports but even I must admit this truth, they are on their way to building something special. Perhaps Trae Young was the right guy all along and just needed a new coach.

As for the 76ers, they're going nowhere with this core. Interesting off-season coming up for them

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017

I've called the Atlanta Hawks the most average team in pro sports but even I must admit this truth, they are on their way to building something special. Perhaps Trae Young was the right guy all along and just needed a new coach.

As for the 76ers, they're going nowhere with this core. Interesting off-season coming up for them

One should never draft a big man who’s body says he wont be a NBA style player, a grossly overhyped PG who couldnt win in college, and a 6’o pg who can’t shoot while expecting to win.
Those three where awful picks then and more so now. Just another example of how not to rebuild.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
IS THE NBA UNFU^KED? TWO TEAMS THAT NEVER WON, ONE THAT WON LOOOOONG TIME AGO IN A DIFFERENT CITY AND ONE THAT WON A LONG TIME AGO.

CAN'T CHOOSE BETWEEN GIANNIS AND BOOKER/CP3.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

Ben Simmons is the worst 'star' in professional sports right now. It's unfathomable to me that a player can spend 4 years in that league and not care one iota to develop a shot. I just don't get it. That play last night when he passed out of a wide open dunk to tie was one of the most gutless cowardly acts in the crunch I've ever seen a player do. Game 7 with a chance to tie and he shits himself like that. And you go back and watch the reactions of Embiid and Curry when he did that, and you knew it was over. Completely deflated the entire team.

Of course Young goes right down the court and drains a 30 ft 3 right in Simmons' face just to ice it not 20 seconds later.

The Sixers win that series with even a Tier 2 point guard instead of Simmons. Just someone who is a threat to shoot and make the occasional shot and that core has a chance. Ben is an offensive black hole that is just holding them back. It's like the reputation Skinner had here for not playing defense but in this case Simmons bought into it and is now terrified of even trying to contribute offensively.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Ben Simmons is the worst 'star' in professional sports right now. It's unfathomable to me that a player can spend 4 years in that league and not care one iota to develop a shot. I just don't get it. That play last night when he passed out of a wide open dunk to tie was one of the most gutless cowardly acts in the crunch I've ever seen a player do. Game 7 with a chance to tie and he shits himself like that. And you go back and watch the reactions of Embiid and Curry when he did that, and you knew it was over. Completely deflated the entire team.

Of course Young goes right down the court and drains a 30 ft 3 right in Simmons' face just to ice it not 20 seconds later.

The Sixers win that series with even a Tier 2 point guard instead of Simmons. Just someone who is a threat to shoot and make the occasional shot and that core has a chance. Ben is an offensive black hole that is just holding them back. It's like the reputation Skinner had here for not playing defense but in this case Simmons bought into it and is now terrified of even trying to contribute offensively.

Especially in a league where you Have to learn how to score. It's insane how scared he is to shoot. Hell the Houston Rockets missed 27 3-pointers in a game 7 but by God they kept trying.

Hell I'll be the 76ers PG if they trade Simmons, I can create my own shot, sort of.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Faking a hamstring injury and then chucking it up when the other guy turns to call for medical attention is not "creating your own shot", fyi

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
On one hand I'm glad the Clippers are gone, such an unlikable bunch. On the other hand, I've never liked Chris Paul and have enjoyed his playoff failures. Also the Suns owner is an unlikable douche. Go Hawks/Bucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad