Prospect Info: Charlie Stramel, C, 21st Overall, 2023 NHL Draft

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Badgers have sold out on player development and taken the easy route by going for 23 year olds. It’s probably the smart route as it’s worked for Quinnipiac and Mankato etc, but just a bad trend for the sport in general. Not an excuse for Stramel, but it sure does make it easy to root against them.

Hoping he gets out of dodge next year and has a fresh start somewhere. He also needs to be playing C IMO.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Badgers have sold out on player development and taken the easy route by going for 23 year olds. It’s probably the smart route as it’s worked for Quinnipiac and Mankato etc, but just a bad trend for the sport in general. Not an excuse for Stramel, but it sure does make it easy to root against them.

Hoping he gets out of dodge next year and has a fresh start somewhere. He also needs to be playing C IMO.

This is the new norm in college sports. I don't like it, but that train left the station a years ago. It's just not under the table dealings anymore like that "Blue Chips" movie portrayed years ago.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It's only his D +1 year, so I am going to be patient till at least next year, but blaming his piss poor performance over the past two seasons on his coaches is ridiculous. If the guy is going to be even an average NHL'er he should be standing out in college right now.

When he goes to the AHL and fails to deliver, is it going to be that leagues fault? Successful players overcome obstacles, and thrive in doing so. Losers blame other people for their lack of success.

BTW, as has been noted elsewhere, there are some very young players on the Badgers who are playing important roles. Unfortunately, Stramel is not one of them. WI is one of the best teams in the country, surely they are doing something right? Is it possible they actually know what they are doing?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Gophers currently have as many or more 22/23+ year old forwards as the Badgers do.

I do agree that it's Hastings' style though and will likely continue into the future like that. I think we're still seeing the effects of the Covid years as well.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Gophers currently have as many or more 22/23+ year old forwards as the Badgers do.

I do agree that it's Hastings' style though and will likely continue into the future like that. I think we're still seeing the effects of the Covid years as well.
I found an age comparison for teams on CHN (LINK), that has Wisconsin as the 6th youngest team in D1 NCAA hockey. Minnesota is 10th. Both teams are plenty young.

I also don't see the problem mixing 20-21 year old freshmen with 18-19 year old freshmen. That's just good team balance.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I found an age comparison for teams on CHN (LINK), that has Wisconsin as the 6th youngest team in D1 NCAA hockey. Minnesota is 10th. Both teams are plenty young.

I also don't see the problem mixing 20-21 year old freshmen with 18-19 year old freshmen. That's just good team balance.
We’ll see if Wisconsin retains that ranking 5 years from now. Hastings has a type, for sure. Can’t build Rome in a day.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
We’ll see if Wisconsin retains that ranking 5 years from now. Hastings has a type, for sure. Can’t build Rome in a day.
Mankato also isn't a top destination for quality prospects, so getting the older players was probably his only route to success there.

I don't care if he gets the young players or the older players. Just win. That's all that matters to me.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Hey, four of his seven points this season have come against the Nittany Lions, so perhaps he's in for a big weekend series.

Also, he's still much bigger than Gabe Perreault.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
if we had picked stramel in the 2nd i wouldn't give a flyin F however picking him at #21 was a guerin mistake. i have to believe guerin wanted a power forward type prospect and reached to take him. thats on guerin not stramel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad