Prospect Info: Charlie Stramel, C, 21st Overall, 2023 NHL Draft

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Big kid. Hopefully we see more physical Joel Eriksson Ek than Charlie Coyle.

It does fit a need and at this point Minnesota needs the depth. Better to move to wing if center doesn't work out.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I am slowly starting to be a fan after watching.

He's actually a very mobile 6'3" player with a nice feel for small touch passes from the center ice and in front of the net. I am still watching his clips to see if there's any offensive creativity in his game or see how his shot is like. But slowly but surely becoming a fan.

Reactions: fgobuzz

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
"Instead, what you’re getting with Stramel is a fairly refined two-way player with some touch as a passer and some snarl in hisgame. The projection to a bottom-of-the-lineup role is pretty straightforward, but anything more than that? Time will tell."

"Besides his shooting prowess, there isn’t much to be excited for from a technical perspective…we seldom saw even flashes of high skill plays. Hopefully a new coach for the Badgers will help.

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
Hope I'm wrong, I had Ritchie a couple tiers better as a prospect.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
"Instead, what you’re getting with Stramel is a fairly refined two-way player with some touch as a passer and some snarl in hisgame. The projection to a bottom-of-the-lineup role is pretty straightforward, but anything more than that? Time will tell."

"Besides his shooting prowess, there isn’t much to be excited for from a technical perspective…we seldom saw even flashes of high skill plays. Hopefully a new coach for the Badgers will help.
So far that is what I'm seeing. A very mobile 6'3" centerman who uses his size and reach but also has a nice touch passer, a pretty strong shot as well. And he can play at a high intensity pace.

problem is, he doesn't seem to dictate the pace either. He goes into the zone quick and reacts to the play before him, but doesn't seem to be player that controls the pace - slow down or speed up. Which is what you generally want from a top six forward. Stramel, so far, is more just reactionary, move the puck quick along the boards. If there's an open wing or an open shot he'll take it but not sure if we can create those openings himself

The raw tools are really interesting though

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I know nothing about any of these guys, but the way they described him on the draft feed was not very flattering.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I know nothing about any of these guys, but the way they described him on the draft feed was not very flattering.

It kinda felt a slight bit like another Johansson pick. No one thought he'd go this early because of his perceived limited upside, but they won't wanna be rude about it on air lol

lordtrillson

May 24, 2020
I don’t care what kind of tools you have, 12 points in 33 games is not the kind of production you want out of a first round forward.

Reactions: keppel146

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
It kinda felt a slight bit like another Johansson pick. No one thought he'd go this early because of his perceived limited upside, but they won't wanna be rude about it on air lol
At least he was still projected as a late 1st - mid 2nd round pick. FJ was expected in like the 3rd-6th round lol.

But very true, they have been hyping up many of the picks, and it definitely sounded like they were trying not to be rude.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
I don’t care what kind of tools you have, 12 points in 33 games is not the kind of production you want out of a first round forward.
I think context matters as well - in college against U24 players. In his -1 draft year, he outpaced Ryan Leonard. Not saying he's a more offensive player than Leonard but 12 points in 33 games as a NCAA freshman is not a bad rate.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I think I don't want to see him in the NHL for a long time.

2023-24: Wisconsin, I want to see a point per game
2024-25: Wisconsin, I want to see 1.2 ppg or higher
2025-26: Iowa, I want to see at least .5 ppg
2026-27: Iowa, I want to see at least 1 ppg
2027-28: Maybe Minnesota, depending on how the offense is coming along

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
He’s no Greenway or Bjugstad, he is a hard working player. I’m ok with the pick for sure

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I think I don't want to see him in the NHL for a long time.

2023-24: Wisconsin, I want to see a point per game
2024-25: Wisconsin, I want to see 1.2 ppg or higher
2025-26: Iowa, I want to see at least .5 ppg
2026-27: Iowa, I want to see at least 1 ppg
2027-28: Maybe Minnesota, depending on how the offense is coming along

He'll be in the NHL in 25-26.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
He'll be in the NHL in 25-26.

No reason to rush him just because he's physically ready. I want to see his game develop. Throwing him in the bottom six in two years just because he's 6'3 220 doesn't do anyone any favors.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
jack mcbain 2.0, whoohoo we got a 2nd rndr in the 1st! im sure judd & billy think hes the next snuggerud , i think its strike 2 on billy. just wait till stenberg ; perrault; musty; cristall and even my least fav ritchie turn out better. failed pick imo.

Reactions: cool blue

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017

I mean this was not that long ago when people were looking at him like this… The situation in Wisconsin could have been a detriment to his draft stock, but have to think if he had stayed with the National team his stock would have not dropped near as much. I’m convinced of that.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
No reason to rush him just because he's physically ready. I want to see his game develop. Throwing him in the bottom six in two years just because he's 6'3 220 doesn't do anyone any favors.

It's actually a pretty standard progression for 1st round college players to be in the NHL in their D+3 season. D+1 another year of college. D+2 college/AHL. D+3 NHL.

He's not a midget, so he actually has a role that he can play in the bottom-6 and learn the NHL game without being overcooked.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It's actually a pretty standard progression for 1st round college players to be in the NHL in their D+3 season. D+1 another year of college. D+2 college/AHL. D+3 NHL.

He's not a midget, so he actually has a role that he can play in the bottom-6 and learn the NHL game without being overcooked.

I don't care what's standard. Ek and Gaudreau have the middle six center spots locked down through 2027-28, and you don't develop 4th line centers, so he can play in the top six in Iowa until he's actually good enough to take one of those spots. If he's putting up 1.2 points per game in the AHL in 2024-25, then we can revisit this. But he won't be. Which means there's more developing to be had in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad