Prospect Info: Charlie Stramel, C, 21st Overall, 2023 NHL Draft

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
But if Stramel doesn't become the next Boldy I'll eat my shorts! :sarcasm: There, now people can get upset about it. You're all very welcome.

Why would we be upset? We either get another Boldy, or we get to watch you livestream yourself eating a pair of shorts? This is a win-win

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Similar thoughts here, I view his skillset as being complementary to that of Boldy/Eriksson Ek (two shooters).

As for the center question, maybe? Both Silye and Lindmark are in their final year of eligibility. I have to imagine the Wild would at least try him there. Maybe he ends up being the guy who takes faceoffs but then moves to the wing for in game play. He’s won 56.67% of his draws this season (34/60). Seems to be decent at them.
His size would give other players fits as well granted he continues to develop his strength. He could end up being a Ek on wing and maybe less offense.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
With the Rossi and Yurov developments, currently I want 2 things from him at the NHL level:

3rd line winger minimum talent.
Power play capable, even just as a net-front/bumper/highish slot guy with minimal-to-no puck handling.

Last edited:

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
He reminds me a little of when I first saw Greenway play as part of the USA U-18 team. Saw them play against Brown and other NCAA teams and just felt he was a big raw package of size and reach. So I was disappointed when we picked Greenway - and now he's turning in a solid pro career.

So I've tried to learn my lesson there - yes, picking the big lumbering raw package doesn't look impressive but sometimes, all those raw tools, given time to cook, might come together to become a more power focused player vs skill. And there is always a place for power forwards in the North American hockey style.

But haven't drank the koolaid yet ... he also reminds me of Mark Jankowski, the rawness with skill and size. And while had some decent NHL years, he's struggling to get back into the NHL.

To spite all of yall, GO STRAMEL! :D

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
he’s looking pretty pretty good lately. It’s almost like an 18 year old C in the Big Ten playing for a new coach might take a minute to adjust.

Reactions: Minnesota

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
he’s looking pretty pretty good lately. It’s almost like an 18 year old C in the Big Ten playing for a new coach might take a minute to adjust.
I'm still wary. I've been trying to be openminded because at the time of the draft, I think I had only one player in a tier separate from Stramel (Perrault). However, after Perrault, Stramel was picked within his tier, but I don't add too much fault picking at #21 and picking within the tier, though I still had preferences for a few other names.

And I've been a fan of the Wild previous drafts because they simply selected safe prospects with good upside. Rossi was OHL player of the year, Wallstedt already played in the SHL, Boldy, Ohgren and Yurov had pro size already and dominated juniors.

Stramel was a clear deviation from that pattern of safe but good upside players - he is one of the rawest player in the draft. Tons of tools but carries tons of risk as well. And he still feels a bit awkward using his many tools, his size and his skating has yet to be in full sync - even through his good games recently.

With that said, I'm happy that he's showing progress and understanding that he is extremely raw, that he will need time to try to put the tools together.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm still wary. I've been trying to be openminded because at the time of the draft, I think I had only one player in a tier separate from Stramel (Perrault). However, after Perrault, Stramel was picked within his tier, but I don't add too much fault picking at #21 and picking within the tier, though I still had preferences for a few other names.

And I've been a fan of the Wild previous drafts because they simply selected safe prospects with good upside. Rossi was OHL player of the year, Wallstedt already played in the SHL, Boldy, Ohgren and Yurov had pro size already and dominated juniors.

Stramel was a clear deviation from that pattern of safe but good upside players - he is one of the rawest player in the draft. Tons of tools but carries tons of risk as well. And he still feels a bit awkward using his many tools, his size and his skating has yet to be in full sync - even through his good games recently.

With that said, I'm happy that he's showing progress and understanding that he is extremely raw, that he will need time to try to put the tools together.
Does he? Or is he just big?

Looking at Stenberg and Edstrom play well for SWE at the WJC certainly has me envious.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Does he? Or is he just big?

Looking at Stenberg and Edstrom play well for SWE at the WJC certainly has me envious.
I see them. Being big allows some advantages - long reach, pushes people off the puck easily, and has long strides. He also isn't a bad skater, IMO he's fairly quick, first steps are quite good for his size. And, he has some nifty hands. Can make in-tight plays and decent on the rush. But yeah, not everything is in sync atm and thats a work in progress.

But Edstrom is one of those players that, while in the same "draft tier" as Stramel, I had a preference for and ranked above Stramel. So I feel your envy.

While I prefer the draft style of safer prospects with decent upside (analogy: slightly cooked prospects :D), it is what it is ... we got this raw set of ingredients. I am just going to set aside some patience for the kid. I'm usually open minded to most prospects until their 3rd yr being drafted - so I'll be harsher come after his 1st year in the AHL. I'm only starting to temper my expectations on Khusnutdinov and I'll be fairly harsh on Lambos mid next season.

Reactions: BagHead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad