Prospect Info: Charlie Stramel, C, 21st Overall, 2023 NHL Draft

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
if we had picked stramel in the 2nd i wouldn't give a flyin F however picking him at #21 was a guerin mistake. i have to believe guerin wanted a power forward type prospect and reached to take him. thats on guerin not stramel.
How do you know this wasnt a Brackett pick??

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I wonder if the Wild are giving any consideration to signing Stramel after the NCAA season and take over his development? He seems to be regressing at Wisconsin, not sure if that's all on him or what.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I wonder if the Wild are giving any consideration to signing Stramel after the NCAA season and take over his development? He seems to be regressing at Wisconsin, not sure if that's all on him or what.

New coach comes in and turns the team around, but Stramel isn't a premier player and new coach has no vested interest in developing him, he's just making the best team with what he has. I'd say it's 95%+ Stramel's fault for not being good enough. But if the Wild want to salvage him, probably would be smart to sign him and play him in the AHL where the coaching staff has a reason to want him to succeed and will spend the time working with him.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
"Sometimes need trumps a little bit more than of... the skill value". -Brackett

Yikes. That doesn't mean Brackett wasn't on board with the pick, but it definitely means he didn't think Stramel was the most skilled guy available. They were also certain he'd be there still, which means he almost certainly was in a lower tier of their scouting list than the other guys available there. That's as close as you'll get to a tacit admission that they purposely went off the board to address an organizational need. Ultimately, whether Brackett was on board or not, Guerin is the boss so the responsibility is his.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
"Sometimes need trumps a little bit more than of... the skill value". -Brackett

Yikes. That doesn't mean Brackett wasn't on board with the pick, but it definitely means he didn't think Stramel was the most skilled guy available. They were also certain he'd be there still, which means he almost certainly was in a lower tier of their scouting list than the other guys available there. That's as close as you'll get to a tacit admission that they purposely went off the board to address an organizational need. Ultimately, whether Brackett was on board or not, Guerin is the boss so the responsibility is his.

I went through my thoughts back on page 16
Here it is

Doesn't take all that long to get into the stuff you don't really wanna hear as a fan

"No we were pretty confident he was gonna be there [at 21]"
I don't really want to pick a player that you know is going to be there because no one else wants him that high

"We talked all week about the need, it's so hard to find a center with his size, the skating ability, the grit, the jam, he fits a lot of our identity, and sometimes need trumps a little bit more than the skill value"

Reporter: is that what made him the target, the position but also the way he plays the position
"It's the position but it's also...[word salad but the gist is they've watched him for a long time now and he's struggled, but he isn't the first and he owned it and they're still believers in his upside]...but he's a big body, skates well, likes to play a heavy hard physical game with some power and grit."

He basically said everything except for explicitly phrasing it as "we took him because of his position and because he's gritty, not because he was the best player available".

I don't really doubt that he was somewhere on the list, I think they liked him to a degree, I'm really not trying to eternally shit on the kid and I want him to succeed, but he was not the BPA on their list, and Judd and his team have given no reason for us to believe that they would diverge from their BPA strategy they've employed since he got here, unless there was outside influence.

Again I'll reiterate, I don't think Brackett hated the player, he was obviously on their list somewhere, but Brackett makes it pretty clear that they took him higher than they otherwise would have based on certain characteristics that don't have bearing on how good of a player/prospect he is currently. And I can only think of one guy who would be able to influence Brackett and his team in such a way.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I think we also have Russo somewhere basically explicitly stating they had lost faith in Rossi last season, and overcorrected/overreacted, with part of that being the Gaudreau extension, wouldn't be out of line to think Stramel was another part of that.

Reactions: 57special

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
New coach comes in and turns the team around, but Stramel isn't a premier player and new coach has no vested interest in developing him, he's just making the best team with what he has. I'd say it's 95%+ Stramel's fault for not being good enough. But if the Wild want to salvage him, probably would be smart to sign him and play him in the AHL where the coaching staff has a reason to want him to succeed and will spend the time working with him.
Don’t give me a(nother) reason to not watch Iowa next year.

• Haha
Reactions: Hockeyville USA

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Don’t give me a(nother) reason to not watch Iowa next year.

Is this a reverse psychology/reverse jinx thing where if we all just go full hater mode he'll somehow become aware of it and strive to prove us wrong?

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
Just a bad pick. Feel bad for the kid as it has obviously added pressure he wasn't ready for. I used to work with a guy that was a 1st round pick bust in a different sport. 20 years later you could tell it still bothered him.....in those rare moments when he even felt like talking about it.

Not that Stramel has busted yet but you know the thoughts are creeping in.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Just a bad pick. Feel bad for the kid as it has obviously added pressure he wasn't ready for. I used to work with a guy that was a 1st round pick bust in a different sport. 20 years later you could tell it still bothered him.....in those rare moments when he even felt like talking about it.

Not that Stramel has busted yet but you know the thoughts are creeping in.
Maybe if he stayed on the ice for more than 15 second shifts he could develop some. Last one on the ice and first one off. Always.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
I was thinking St. Thomas. Shit player going to a shit team. At least he’d get top 6 minutes there, right? Who am I kidding, he would probably still get bottom 6 playing time.
I used to like you but ripping my alma mater out of no where is kinda cold.

Maybe if he stayed on the ice for more than 15 second shifts he could develop some. Last one on the ice and first one off. Always.
Could his draft status be something the program is actually using against him? Assuming he has one foot out the door to go pro so why bother with him?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

That might just be because he doesn't do anything when he is on the ice and the coach wants someone who does stuff

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I used to like you but ripping my alma mater out of no where is kinda cold.

Could his draft status be something the program is actually using against him? Assuming he has one foot out the door to go pro so why bother with him?
Sorry. Good school. Hockey team isn’t there (yet).

I seriously doubt that. They have no trouble giving playing time to a draft pick like Lucius. Stramel started the year on the third line with second PP time. He’s only gone down from there. Removed from the power play altogether.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I knew it was a bad sign when I saw him on the ODR last month and absolutely worked him

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00