Prospect Info: Charlie Stramel, C, 21st Overall, 2023 NHL Draft

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I say what I said as the guy who was #1 on the list of fans that thought we shouldn't pick Stramel at the draft.

I'm just saying, what's done is done. I'm willing to see if Stramel can prove the doubters wrong. Clean slate. It's not his fault Guerin and co picked him where they did. That should be more of a Bill Guerin thread topic. It's just irritating, for those that actually want to discuss the player and his progression, that we can't go a page without rehashing the same discussion over and over again.

I feel like the goal posts keep getting moved; it was wait until the new coach gets in there. He'll turn the corner. Wait until he heals up from the injuries. He'll turn the corner. Wait until he plays a new position. He'll turn the corner.

With that last point, we are starting to see it. But damn did it take a long time and fans don't know if's actually turned the corner or not.

Reactions: josra33

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I'll talk about whatever the current topic of discussion is. I'm still hoping he can exceed any of our expectations for him. But his current "progression" and what he's shown as a player so far is probably why we can't go a page without talking about where he was picked or the reasons that led to the pick. I maintain that if he was currently, or ever in the future shows that he was worthy of being picked there, the sentiment around him would be a lot different, even if people didn't like the pick at the time, so it's kind of up to the player to change the narrative.

I still want to see the highlights and the updates from you or anyone else that watches him in the meantime though.
He's looked worlds better than all of last year. Creates really nice chances on a nightly basis. His line spends almost every shift in the offensive zone. His progression under a new coach has been substantial.

He just had 4 points in 2 games and the topic still shifts to draft position. People are clinging to it. That's all I'm saying.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I feel like the goal posts keep getting moved; it was wait until the new coach gets in there. He'll turn the corner. Wait until he heals up from the injuries. He'll turn the corner. Wait until he plays a new position. He'll turn the corner.

With that last point, we are starting to see it. But damn did it take a long time and fans don't know if's actually turned the corner or not.
I love that all three of these are legit points. Yet, you use them as negative talking points.

1. Hastings is a much better coach than Granato (get well soon Tony!) for Stramel to learn under. He's already a much better player.
2. I think you made this one up or you are reaching. Surely you're not implying that he should be playing fantastic while he was injured? The only thing I've commented was that he didn't look right game one against Michigan and he ended up missing game 2 because he wasn't ready to come back. I don't think anybody said he was just going to light it up once he returned from injury. I think you are misconstruing playing normal vs injured as "turning the corner." Just completely odd.
3. That one worked.

I love that 12 games is a "long time." Were you saying the same thing when Boldy had 4 points in his first 17 games in his D+1 season at BC? Players take time to adjust to things. Whether it be a new level (NCAA), new coaching system (Hastings), expectations being placed on them (draft pick), etc. If Stramel is worse at the end of the season, then fine. But can he play the season first?

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I love that all three of these are legit points. Yet, you use them as negative talking points.

1. Hastings is a much better coach than Granato (get well soon Tony!) for Stramel to learn under. He's already a much better player.
2. I think you made this one up or you are reaching. Surely you're not implying that he should be playing fantastic while he was injured? The only thing I've commented was that he didn't look right game one against Michigan and he ended up missing game 2 because he wasn't ready to come back. I don't think anybody said he was just going to light it up once he returned from injury. I think you are misconstruing playing normal vs injured as "turning the corner." Just completely odd.
3. That one worked.

I love that 12 games is a "long time." Were you saying the same thing when Boldy had 4 points in his first 17 games in his D+1 season at BC? Players take time to adjust to things. Whether it be a new level (NCAA), new coaching system (Hastings), expectations being placed on them (draft pick), etc. If Stramel is worse at the end of the season, then fine. But can he play the season first?
Dude, SO many people were saying the same thing when that happened. Or maybe it was the same few people, but a lot of times.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Dude, SO many people were saying the same thing when that happened. Or maybe it was the same few people, but a lot of times.
So maybe the point here is that patience is needed.

I don't remember that. I specifically remember AKL mentioning that Boldy looked good and was generating chances, but couldn't find the score sheet while playing center.

Of course, I could have been the ish talker in the Boldy thread since Caufield never had trouble scoring at Wisconsin. So maybe the lesson there is that I needed patience back then.

Edit: I actually think there are a lot similarities between Boldy and Stramel. Both couldn't get things to go at center. Both look better on the score sheet when playing wing. Perhaps this has something to do with their footspeed not working at center... I'm hoping Stramel turns into a Boldy-lite

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
He's looked worlds better than all of last year. Creates really nice chances on a nightly basis. His line spends almost every shift in the offensive zone. His progression under a new coach has been substantial.

He just had 4 points in 2 games and the topic still shifts to draft position. People are clinging to it. That's all I'm saying.
It's just going to take more than 2 games for him to change the narrative. Good for him for those two games, but he has a long way to go to move the needle. It's just a baby step at this point.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

I don't remember that. I specifically remember AKL mentioning that Boldy looked good and was generating chances, but couldn't find the score sheet while playing center.

Of course, I could have been the ish talker in the Boldy thread since Caufield never had trouble scoring at Wisconsin. So maybe the lesson there is that I needed patience back then.

I was, and I think he did, so maybe I need to extend more grace to Stramel who I'm not watching as much as I did Boldy, but I've also said on numerous occasions I still hope he does well, I just haven't seen it yet. I also liked Boldy a lot more pre-draft than I did Stramel, so it was a lot easier for me to stay positive through the hard times, because I knew what good Boldy looked like.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Edit: I actually think there are a lot similarities between Boldy and Stramel. Both couldn't get things to go at center. Both look better on the score sheet when playing wing. Perhaps this has something to do with their footspeed not working at center... I'm hoping Stramel turns into a Boldy-lite
Also keep in mind, those of us who watched Boldy while at center, we saw him generating chance after chance too... I don't recall that being the case according to what you saw of Stramel at center.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
It's just going to take more than 2 games for him to change the narrative. Good for him for those two games, but he has a long way to go to move the needle. It's just a baby step at this point.
Why does the narrative have to start or stay negative? He was our first round draft pick, we should want him to succeed. If he does, it means our system has done well of drafting and developing, you and others here seem to be actively rooting against that for reasons that are indiscernible to me.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I'll take that for sure. Hastings told him to his face that he would be getting more minutes going forward. More opportunity is always good. I'm curious to see if that means he moves up in the lineup or if that means power play time. Hell, make it both lol
I was, and I think he did, so maybe I need to extend more grace to Stramel who I'm not watching as much as I did Boldy, but I've also said on numerous occasions I still hope he does well, I just haven't seen it yet.
Also keep in mind, those of us who watched Boldy while at center, we saw him generating chance after chance too... I don't recall that being the case according to what you saw of Stramel at center.
I just think it's one of those that let's see how the season ends. You never know how long it will take someone to get caught up to speed on things. I specifically stated earlier in the year that it was almost like he didn't know where he should be positionally speaking. Like he would be occupying the same space as another teammate and almost in the way instead of helping. I also think there wasn't a level of compete there at the beginning that probably stemmed from the country club, loosy goosy style from the previous staff. The way I termed it early in the season was that I wanted him to be more aggressive. That was my biggest issue for at least the first 3 weeks.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Jeez give the kid a break... didn't he lose his father 2 years ago? Big guys take longer to develop anyways. I hope he makes team USA WJC next year? Quit with the what have you done for me now latey-ism. Prospect trajecory is not linear. I'm Guessing 1 more year at Wisconson Anyways.
He’s not eligible.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Why does the narrative have to start or stay negative? He was our first round draft pick, we should want him to succeed. If he does, it means our system has done well of drafting and developing, you and others here seem to be actively rooting against that for reasons that are indiscernible to me.
We all want him to succeed. We all also wanted Zack Phillips to succeed. Doesn’t mean we have to turn off our critical thinking.

Reactions: MK9 and TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Of course we want him to succeed. That said, he was chosen as a clear reach from most everyone's perspective. That is why the narrative started negative. It will likely stay that way until he proves people wrong... if not? It will likely stay negative.
Remember Filip Johansson? Not saying Stramel was that bad of a pick, but that's an extreme example.

Nobody here is rooting against him, we're just frustrated with the GM. I wish Stramel the best, but seeing other players continue to perform that we could've selected, and seeing him continue to struggle (outside the last 2 games), it just continues that frustration with the GM.

Reactions: thestonedkoala

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Of course we want him to succeed. That said, he was chosen as a clear reach from most everyone's perspective. That is why the narrative started negative. It will likely stay that way until he proves people wrong... if not? It will likely stay negative.
Remember Filip Johansson? Not saying Stramel was that bad of a pick, but that's an extreme example.

Nobody here is rooting against him, we're just frustrated with the GM. I wish Stramel the best, but seeing other players continue to perform that we could've selected, and seeing him continue to struggle (outside the last 2 games), it just continues that frustration with the GM.

Or Colton Gillies; same mentality as that pick and that really was the pick that started Riser's downfall.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

I know this isn't true for all people, but I personally find patience from the knowledge that, whether he becomes good or not, I can't change it. Nor could I change who we drafted, even if I had the knowledge of it all beforehand. Instead I'm just cheering for the guys we have, when we have them, because that's literally all I can do other than to stop following the team. But that's my view, as I said, and it's not for everyone.

In here, I'll just follow along on the subject of Stramel as best I can, and hope for good things to happen to him. Thanks for the insights you keep providing on him.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
In response to the Boldy vs Stramel comparison:

It was Boldy's first season in college and he had a position change from wing to center.

This is Stramel's second year in college and he hasn't had a position change.

Boldy wasn't considered a reach either and was thought of as a steal, so he didn't need to justify his draft position as much as Stramel.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
In response to the Boldy vs Stramel comparison:

It was Boldy's first season in college and he had a position change from wing to center.

This is Stramel's second year in college and he hasn't had a position change.

Boldy wasn't considered a reach either and was thought of as a steal, so he didn't need to justify his draft position as much as Stramel.
Boldy and Stramel both had slow starts to their post-draft season. Both DID have a position change (both from center to wing) in that year, and it resulted in more offense immediately. I think that's about as far as the comparison stretches. There are some parallels between Boldy and Stramel, but they're very different players. I'm personally not under some illusion that Stramel has Boldy's skill, ceiling, or ability to generate scoring chances, and I haven't seen anyone saying he does. Everyone's words around it have been quite measured, actually.

I think it's fine for people to remind themselves to be patient by remembering how Boldy's season went, and I think that's as far as anyone's taken it.

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
Or Colton Gillies; same mentality as that pick and that really was the pick that started Riser's downfall.

Let's be fair here, Strammel would have put up better numbers in the CHL then Gillies.

Can change the pick, might as well be patient w him, still plenty of potential there. Plus that Heidt pick is looking great.

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
I think it's fine for people to remind themselves to be patient by remembering how Boldy's season went, and I think that's as far as anyone's taken it.

A large number of people wanted to trade off rossi and even ek back in the day, unless you can make some miracle prospect trade, which rarely happens, you are better off being patient and seeing how things developed.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I recall a lot of it but maybe it was a vocal minority.

I think as recently as this past summer there were quite a few people who would have been okay with trading Rossi for an established NHL center, only because it looked like Rossi had gone completely pear shaped

I don't remember it much with Ek? Some people were disappointed that the offense wasn't coming along, but he was always a pretty decent defensive center

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I think as recently as this past summer there were quite a few people who would have been okay with trading Rossi for an established NHL center, only because it looked like Rossi had gone completely pear shaped

I don't remember it much with Ek? Some people were disappointed that the offense wasn't coming along, but he was always a pretty decent defensive center
2Pair. He hated Ek and loved Greenway lol

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad