Prospect Info: Charlie Stramel, C, 21st Overall, 2023 NHL Draft

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
If you look at Ek's numbers I would bet we had 3 solid years of trade talk, maybe even more because I remember defending is first 19 goal season when someone wanted to ship him out over and over.

There was steady and consistent Rossi trade talk, especially after last season didn't go so well.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I recall a lot of it but maybe it was a vocal minority.
JEE absolutely had trade board threads created by members here. Without naming names someone did post the below about him in 2019 when they made a trade thread: “As for the Wild, be better to trade him now before his value tanks even more”

Topics titled “Time is up for Joel Eriksson Ek” and proposals of Scandella + JEE for Galchenyuk, and another one straight up for Puljujaarvi. Yeah, he got dragged for years.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
JEE absolutely had trade board threads created by members here. Without naming names someone did post the below about him in 2019 when they made a trade thread: “As for the Wild, be better to trade him now before his value tanks even more”

Topics titled “Time is up for Joel Eriksson Ek” and proposals of Scandella + JEE for Galchenyuk, and another one straight up for Puljujaarvi. Yeah, he got dragged for years.
The comment was a large number of people, not one or a few...

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
He's a pretty safe bet to be a 3rd line C, ceiling seems to be a good 2nd line C. It's a real nice pick if Granlund can realize his 1C potential, but if not, we're in the same position we are now with Koivu and Granlund as our top 2 C.
Take time with this kid. Don't rush him onto the NHL roster. He sounds like a C with a nose for scoring goals in pretty much every way you can score a goal, but let him develop properly. We have Koivu, Granlund, Haula, Graovac ahead of him still, he's not so good that we need him to help us right away.
I think he's got better tools than Larsson. Definitely a better shot, more physical, more of an offensive instinct in general. Larsson and Eriksson Ek both have very similar floors, and both have ceilings as 2C's, I just think Eriksson Ek is more likely to reach that ceiling.
He's more of a goal scorer than a playmaker. He's more likely to have a stat line that looks like 30-30-60 than 20-40-60.
His shot and knack for going to the net and scoring timely goals is his strength. His passing is good, but he's a natural goal scorer over playmaker. Every scouting report I've ever seen has highlighted his hands, shot, and willingness to go to the net. The one I saw earlier today (forgot where) said he's more likely to go for a shot or crash the net in the offensive zone than anything else.

He is a scoring center, no way around it. He may be big, and he may use his body to play along the boards and shield the puck, but Koivu is an awful comparison stylistically.
I don’t even know if I’ll worry about him then. Maybe the summer after when he’s a seasoned, wiley veteran at 23.

Don't mind me, just clearing my name

(Koivu may not be that awful a comparison stylistically anymore but it's still not one of the first I'd make)

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Ek was getting more optimism because he was giving people more reason to be optimistic

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I always liked JEE, or at least realized that he was not meant to be a balls out offensive player, but more of a middle six two way C. If he can get his FO's up well over the 50% mark we've got a gem.

Most seemed to be complaining about picking JEE over Boeser, i seem to recall.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
I always liked JEE, or at least realized that he was not meant to be a balls out offensive player, but more of a middle six two way C. If he can get his FO's up well over the 50% mark we've got a gem.

Most seemed to be complaining about picking JEE over Boeser, i seem to recall.
I didn’t see much Boeser in his actual topic on draft day and the first 20 pages of that thread, Konecny was the only other reasonable player mentioned off the rip but I could have missed on my skimming.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
How much production are we looking for this year to be like, ok, last year was a little weird but we think he's back on track now?

I'm thinking roughly .75 ppg and obviously passing the eye test as well.
So, I'm going to go back to this and stick to it. Still plenty of time.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I wanna say I remember a fairly even split between Boeser and White
Ya, White was a subject of envy for some, for sure. Is he even in the league, now?

I mean, JEE was the captain of a pretty good Swedish WJC team post draft, while Stramel is not even on the WJC team. I don't see much of a comparison, really, even though they were drafted in approximately the same spot. The bone of contention as as far as Stramel is concerned was that he was drafted way too early. In hindsight, JEE was drafted too late, but at the time it seemed about right. No one was giddy that we had drafted him at the time. It was sort of...Huh... but not disappointed, like with FJo, or thrilled, like with Wallstedt.

Last edited:

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Ya, White was a subject of envy for some, for sure. Is he even in the league, now?

He has 2 goals in 11 AHL games this year lol, swing and a miss for those of us (me) that wanted him

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Boldy and Stramel both had slow starts to their post-draft season. Both DID have a position change (both from center to wing) in that year, and it resulted in more offense immediately. I think that's about as far as the comparison stretches. There are some parallels between Boldy and Stramel, but they're very different players. I'm personally not under some illusion that Stramel has Boldy's skill, ceiling, or ability to generate scoring chances, and I haven't seen anyone saying he does. Everyone's words around it have been quite measured, actually.

I think it's fine for people to remind themselves to be patient by remembering how Boldy's season went, and I think that's as far as anyone's taken it.
Boldy was drafted as a wing though. Stramel was drafted as a center. That’s why it is not a fair comp.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
WTF is going on in this thread. So does anyone think Stramel is going back to center? I think he would be good on Ek's wing

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Boldy was drafted as a wing though. Stramel was drafted as a center. That’s why it is not a fair comp.
I don't mean to write a summary of my last post, but: Boldy's not a comp at all for Stramel. They just happen to have a similar situation within a single developmental year, but if that makes people stay patient, I think it's fine to note the similarities.

I haven't seen anyone directly comparing the two and their skill-sets, they're just noticing a slightly weird set of circumstances that both encountered in a very similar way.

But if Stramel doesn't become the next Boldy I'll eat my shorts! :sarcasm: There, now people can get upset about it. You're all very welcome.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
WTF is going on in this thread. So does anyone think Stramel is going back to center? I think he would be good on Ek's wing
Similar thoughts here, I view his skillset as being complementary to that of Boldy/Eriksson Ek (two shooters).

As for the center question, maybe? Both Silye and Lindmark are in their final year of eligibility. I have to imagine the Wild would at least try him there. Maybe he ends up being the guy who takes faceoffs but then moves to the wing for in game play. He’s won 56.67% of his draws this season (34/60). Seems to be decent at them.

Reactions: thestonedkoala

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad