Player Discussion Charlie McAvoy V signs 3 year $4.9m extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
losing McAvoy is a huge disadvantage game 1 with Carolina being rested and having a tough forecheck. To make series altering decisions like this they should crack down on real predatory hits rather than an unintentional result of hardnosed hockey. McAvoy in that situation has no motivation to make a dirty play, sometimes hits to the head happen. the league should only look at intent here. 2 min penalty was justified and should be left at that. Satisfying media pundit talking heads is no reason for a suspension

Completely agree

I’d give him a warning and let him know that if it happens again, he’ll be looked at as a repeat offender

I’d be fine with him getting a game in a vacuum but the fact similar hits went unpunished and it’s a playoff series, not to mention lack of intent or history for Charlie himself, I don’t see how the game sends Charlie a message rather than just punishing the bruins, a team who had several players take headshots with no penalties let alone suspensions

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Sure, there are some black and gold colored glasses...but there’s the other side of the coin too...many Canadian players and then executives have an institutionalized hatred for Boston. You can see it in many of Parros decisions concerning Boston.

Yes, the Kukan hit and McAvoy hit are not the same. But the buzz word is “targeting.” The hysteria word. Kukan raised his elbow up and hit Backes right in the face. No hysteria. No suspension.

I’m sorry, you can’t go from that judgement hours ago to going nuts about McAvoy’s chest and head contact with a shoulder.

It’s more stupid stuff. It just doesn’t work. It doesn’t smell right.

But they will. Because justice is whatever they feel like. No reason.

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
I can't believe this BS :mad: It's worse because we actually have a good chance to go all the way this time. We can't win losing our number one TOI player if it's more than a game or two. Even that much might be enough to lose to the Canes.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
The match penalty is 5 minutes and booted from the game, which is what i think he means. You can get a major and still play in the game after you serve the time.

A match penalty is 5 + game yes. There is no just 5 minute major for a hit to the head.

By calling it a match penalty, the Officials had to deem it intentional and is subject to automatic DOPS review. (but they can review any hit regardless).

Officials had two choices: 2 minute minor or a match penalty.

By calling a match, they are then saying that in their opinion it was intentional and thus warrants a suspension. They didn't and thus called a minor. And they filed their report as to why they saw it as they did right after the game.

And I am 100% certain DOPS has already read the officials report.

rule 48.png

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Sure, there are some black and gold colored glasses...but there’s the other side of the coin too...many Canadian players and then executives have an institutionalized hatred for Boston. You can see it in many of Parros decisions concerning Boston.

Yes, the Kukan hit and McAvoy hit are not the same. But the buzz word is “targeting.” The hysteria words. Kukan raised his elbow up and hit Backes right in the face. No hysteria. No suspension.

I’m sorry, you can’t go from that judgement hours ago to going nuts about McAvoy’s chest and head contact with a shoulder.

It’s more stupid stuff. It just doesn’t work.

But they will. Because justice is whatever they feel like. No reason.

never doubt the jumps the DoP(e)S can make

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto
I don’t have time to read the last 4 pages to see if it’s mentioned...

Jack said “called up on the rug,” so I assume that’s in person. Isn’t that a mandatory suspension?

I think he’ll get a game. Totally unwarranted after the decision made hours earlier on Kukan.

Parros is a hack.

Jack may have meant it metaphorically.

Reactions: GloveSave1

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
ok but it did happen to Backes in this same series and iirc wasn't even a minor penalty so you can't blame people when they are pissed if Charlie gets a suspension when a worse hit went unpunished just a few games ago.

I get what you're saying, but blown calls happen and just because one call was bad, it doesn't mean you get a free pass if you do something bad. What Charlie did was a penalty. And because he targeted the head, and the league is cracking down on that kind of hit, he faces a suspension. Missed elbow on Backes aside.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
A match penalty is 5 + game yes. There is no just 5 minute major for a hit to the head.

By calling it a match penalty, the Officials had to deem it intentional and is subject to automatic DOPS review. (but they can review any hit regardless).

Officials had two choices: 2 minute minor or a match penalty.

By calling a match, they are then saying that in their opinion it was intentional and thus warrants a suspension. They didn't and thus called a minor. And they filed their report as to why they saw it as they did right after the game.

And I am 100% certain DOPS has already read the officials report.

View attachment 225385

Seems they got it right then....

Reactions: Neely2005

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
When you basically say that “well if this isn’t a suspension, then how can this be?!”...you are obviously implying the hits are the same or at least very, very similar. In reality, it’s completely different circumstances and plays leading up to the result. The only similarity is that both are head contact.

I would have liked to see Kukan get suspended for a game, but he didn’t. Sucks. And sure, I’d love to hear the DOPS reason.

But looking at the McAvoy hit...the fact that it’s on a guy who is engaged with another player, who has no chance to defend himself, and the fact that Charlie elevates his shoulder upward into the hit...I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a game.

Hey, it’s my team. I don’t want him suspended. But if it happens, I get it. And I’m not going to be “outraged” and threatening to never watch the league again if things don’t go my way which has become a tradition with some.
did you even re-watch the Backes hit? It's at 5:56 in that video. For some reason embedding with a timestamp doesn't work here...

Backes is in a scrum in the corner, turns away from it and gets an elbow right on the button from Kukan who was NOT involved in the puck battle that Backes was disengaging from. There's no way you can argue that from a "dirtiness/intent" standpoint that McAvoy's hit was any worse than Kukan's.

And I already explained to you, saying they deserve the same punishment does not at all imply that they are "the same". But there is enough similarity (principal contact to the jaw, player went out of their way to initiate contact, player went down but was not injured) to argue that the same rules apply to both hits & both deserve roughly the same level of supplemental discipline.

Anyway, all I'm looking for here is consistency. There's no satisfactory explanation for why Kukan wouldn't be suspended for his hit but McAvoy would. If one gets a suspension & the other doesn't then it's stupid and is yet another example of the NHL not knowing how to consistently apply & enforce its rules.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
When you basically say that “well if this isn’t a suspension, then how can this be?!”...you are obviously implying the hits are the same or at least very, very similar. In reality, it’s completely different circumstances and plays leading up to the result. The only similarity is that both are head contact.

I would have liked to see Kukan get suspended for a game, but he didn’t. Sucks. And sure, I’d love to hear the DOPS reason.

But looking at the McAvoy hit...the fact that it’s on a guy who is engaged with another player, who has no chance to defend himself, and the fact that Charlie elevates his shoulder upward into the hit...I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a game.

Hey, it’s my team. I don’t want him suspended. But if it happens, I get it. And I’m not going to be “outraged” and threatening to never watch the league again if things don’t go my way which has become a tradition with some.

This is exactly right. It sucks. I wish he wasn't in this spot, but he fully earned his hearing and whatever outcome there is.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Sure I do, Charlie is a great player and a smart player, so I'm sure his awareness is top notch. But hockey is a fast game, I think he went to lay the guy out but I don't think he intended to head hit him. He could have easily followed through with his elbow if he wanted to, but didn't.

There were a lot of high hits all series long and no suspensions.

Sure, he could have made it worse and he could have made it even more of an impact, but regardless of that, he still made primary contact with a defenseless player's head. That in and of itself is bad enough to warrant a vacation from the league.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I get what you're saying, but blown calls happen and just because one call was bad, it doesn't mean you get a free pass if you do something bad. What Charlie did was a penalty. And because he targeted the head, and the league is cracking down on that kind of hit, he faces a suspension. Missed elbow on Backes aside.
I'm not concerned about a blown call in the moment. With the speed of the NHL it's bound to happen. But they have a chance to look at every play after a game & still chose not to suspend Kukan (or give him a hearing) and yet Charlie gets at least a hearing. That's not a blown call, that's another example of a systemic problem with the DoPS' ability to interpret & enforce the leauge's own rulebook.

Shoebottom88

Feb 4, 2019
Forget the Kukan elbow for an instant. (Yes it did deserve punishment) Analyze this McAvoy hit on its own and determine if it fits the league’s hits to the head. The reverse angle is tricky to judge cause you can’t tell which part made 1st contact imo. But the original angle shows McAvoy leading with his shoulder while Anderson’s head is leaning forward & down a bit. It just makes sense that the shoulder would connect first followed by the rest of the body. Yes, his elbow is down and connects with Anderson’s torso, but the shoulder hits him in the jaw. Just look at how low his shoulder is prior to hit, and how high it is after the follow through. Stand alone, this hit is suspendanle.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I'm not concerned about a blown call in the moment. With the speed of the NHL it's bound to happen. But they have a chance to look at every play after a game & still chose not to suspend Kukan (or give him a hearing) and yet Charlie gets at least a hearing. That's not a blown call, that's another example of a systemic problem with the DoPS' ability to interpret & enforce the leauge's own rulebook.

See, the issue isn't the hit or the missed call on the elbow to backes face. It's the lack of consistency in the way DOPS handles things. I get it. I'm just not surprised by it.

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

bruinshoper

Sponsor
Jan 20, 2011
Bruins are the biggest revenue team/draw left in the playoffs as they were in round 2.

League doesn't want the Bruins anywhere but the finals.

To say otherwise is just wrong.

Agreed...but the Canadian/ Toronto media really does seem to have a hate on for Boston. Certainly seem to do whatever they can to influence viewers/general public that the B’s are loaded with goons and rats.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Completely agree

I’d give him a warning and let him know that if it happens again, he’ll be looked at as a repeat offender

I’d be fine with him getting a game in a vacuum but the fact similar hits went unpunished and it’s a playoff series, not to mention lack of intent or history for Charlie himself, I don’t see how the game sends Charlie a message rather than just punishing the bruins, a team who had several players take headshots with no penalties let alone suspensions

Mcavoy hit happens 10 times a game, chara screened Mcavoy so the hit ended up being to the players head bc he was trying to get past chara. Unfortunate that the head was contacted and not the shoulder which was the intent, but that happens in hockey. There was no raising of the elbow or Mcavoy leaving his feet. He was just trying to make a defensive play.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Seems they got it right then....

By the letter of the law, yes they did.

And all 4 got together to make sure they were in agreement and that they made the right call.

Part of the reason he may only get one game is the officials report. And it'll probably say there was nothing that happened earlier in the game that they could call it a predatory retaliation hit.

Honestly, I think this one could go either way, and I am usually pretty close in my assessments of these things. They are going to also have to take into account Chara's involvement. Anderson's head was down because at one point Chara had his stick between Anderson's legs and put the puck there. He isn't like a player admiring his own pass and gets clocked. He's actually trying to find the puck. So was he suppose to "give up on the puck to watch for a possible hit'?

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT

Bingo. This is not a blown call in the speed of play. We’re talking about a thought out decision made by the league office about a blow to the head by Kukan, that could easily fall under targeting...hours earlier.

Sorry, but that should matter. It doesn’t. But only because we’re dealing with hacks.

Clowns.

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
I can't believe this BS :mad: It's worse because we actually have a good chance to go all the way this time. We can't win losing our number one TOI player if it's more than a game or two. Even that much might be enough to lose to the Canes.
It won’t be more than a game,
I guarantee it will be 1 game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad