Player Discussion Charlie McAvoy V signs 3 year $4.9m extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
I think he'll get 1 game. Hard to be upset with that, except Kukan should have got a game as well.

Moore is available. He subs in for game 1 against the Hurricanes. Not a replacement for Charlie, but the D will be okay for one game.
Kukan hit was very similar to joe Thornton’s elbow costing Joe a game in the first round

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal
I'm on the fence with the McAvoy hit. If we're going to talk about this, then the problem is people will bring up the elbow to Backes head which was, in my opinion, way more violent and predatory than McAvoy's hit on Anderson. Again, bringing this up, which I do believe you have to, it highlights how poor the league is as a whole. I'm not saying McAvoy should not be suspended for a game because the Blue Jackets player wasn't for the elbow to Backes' head, but it raises eyebrows about the consistent inconsistency of this garbage league.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
At least Anderson came back and didn’t miss a shift. The period end not long after so he came out and played the third

And Anderson was all smiles in the handshake line.

I could see the league screwing us and giving Charlie one game, anything more than that would be flagrant injustice. Though honestly 2 minutes for interference was the most that hit should ever be. Are people blind and not looking at the reverse angle? All chest.

Reactions: GoBs

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Should be zero, given sad state of this league will be 1 possibly 2, Kadri and Leafs land will argue for 5.

Reactions: McGarnagle

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
And Anderson was all smiles in the handshake line.

I could see the league screwing us and giving Charlie one game, anything more than that would be flagrant injustice. Though honestly 2 minutes for interference was the most that hit should ever be. Are people blind and not looking at the reverse angle? All chest.

The homerism is just so cringey.

How can it be “all chest”? Are you saying he didn’t make contact with his head at all?

If you have convinced yourself of that, I feel terrible for you. That’s next level bias.

Reactions: jiitu

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
You don't think he was aware of whom it was and how Anderson had been running players all series long? Seriously?

Sure I do, Charlie is a great player and a smart player, so I'm sure his awareness is top notch. But hockey is a fast game, I think he went to lay the guy out but I don't think he intended to head hit him. He could have easily followed through with his elbow if he wanted to, but didn't.

There were a lot of high hits all series long and no suspensions.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
If that hit happened to a Bruins player, this place would be going nuts screaming for a suspension and that it was only called a 2 minute minor. Simple as that.

McAvoy was dumb. He did it, he elevated up and his initial and entire contact was with the dude's head. It's not even something you can argue.

And for the guy that was saying anyone that has an issue with that hit was clutching their pearls, your take is literally embarrassing. It was a clear cut cheap shot. He made full contact with Anderson's head. You can like physical hockey, fighting, big hits, etc... and still not be a fan of predatory BS like this. It was a dirty play and he used Chara as a screen so Anderson didn't see him coming.

ok but it did happen to Backes in this same series and iirc wasn't even a minor penalty so you can't blame people when they are pissed if Charlie gets a suspension when a worse hit went unpunished just a few games ago.

Reactions: McGarnagle

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Posted this in another thread but figured this would be a good place to post it as well. Go to the :59 mark and watch the hit, Charlie clearly hits him in the chest and Naderson takes Chara's stick/hand to the face as well. If the league takes that view into consideration it's possible that he might not get suspended at all.

I'm surprised no one ever jumped on that Chara thing. Anderson comes up clearly favoring his cheek, right where he got Chara's stick/glove

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Sure I do, Charlie is a great player and a smart player, so I'm sure his awareness is top notch. But hockey is a fast game, I think he went to lay the guy out but I don't think he intended to head hit him. He could have easily followed through with his elbow if he wanted to, but didn't.

There were a lot of high hits all series long and no suspensions.

There wasn’t a hit like this all series. Were there some plays with head contact? Definitely. The Backes one comes to mind.

But was there a full body hit to the head on a defenseless player already engaged with another player? No.

These “comparisons” which are used in attempt to wiggle out of blame have gotten so old.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
ok but it did happen to Backes in this same series and iirc wasn't even a minor penalty so you can't blame people when they are pissed if Charlie gets a suspension when a worse hit went unpunished just a few games ago.
EnchantingExemplaryHoverfly-size_restricted.gif

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

I think it did get a minor penalty didn't it?

And I'm not sure it's worse. It's an elbow in tight vs. running a guy but with no elbow. Pretty dissimilar hits IMO.

However, undeniable that there was far less crying about it in the media.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I’m not saying that the Backes hit wasn’t bullshit, but the ability of posters to claim “same thing” over any play they deem somehow makes their case is silly.

Bullshit or not, the McAvoy and Backes plays aren’t “the same”.

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
There wasn’t a hit like this all series. Were there some plays with head contact? Definitely. The Backes one comes to mind.

But was there a full body hit to the head on a defenseless player already engaged with another player? No.

These “comparisons” which are used in attempt to wiggle out of blame have gotten so old.
the hit on Backes was absolutely worse. It was the point of an elbow to the point of his chin. The hit on Anderson was clearly McAvoy going for body contact & getting more of his head than he should have. He makes significant body contact in addition to his chin. The hit on Backes was nothing but chin. That's worse from an "intent" standpoint IMO.

Also somone (can't remember who...Anderson, Jenner or Foligno) threw a flying elbow at Chara that just barely missed his head. People are forgetting it because he missed, but if Chara hadn't sidestepped it would have been extremely ugly.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I’m not saying that the Backes hit wasn’t bull****, but the ability of posters to claim “same thing” over any play they deem somehow makes their case is silly.

Bull**** or not, the McAvoy and Backes plays aren’t “the same”.

You're right. The hit on Backes' was much more dangerous and predatory

Reactions: Bruhin

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
the hit on Backes was absolutely worse. It was the point of an elbow to the point of his chin. The hit on Anderson was clearly McAvoy going for body contact & getting more of his head than he should have. He makes significant body contact in addition to his chin. The hit on Backes was nothing but chin. That's worse from an "intent" standpoint IMO.

Also somone (can't remember who...Anderson, Jenner or Foligno) threw a flying elbow at Chara that just barely missed his head. People are forgetting it because he missed, but if Chara hadn't sidestepped it would have been extremely ugly.

To me, all of this is just distraction tactics. We’ve now graduated to hits that didn’t even occur to somehow justify why Charlie should not be suspended. The hit is what the hit is. I can easily see Charlie getting a game.

And I completely disagree that the play on Backes was worse than the Andersen hit.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
nobody is trying to say the Anderson & Backes hits are "the same".

We're saying that from a punishment standpoint, the hit on Backes was just as dirty or worse. If that didn't get a game then neither should Charlie's hit.

btw, whoever said the elbow to Backes was just a "play in tight"...bullshit. Kukan comes at him from a significant distance with a targeted elbow. Watch it here:

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
I would hope the league would tell us tonight

So the bruins can prepare at morning practice for life without McAvoy if he’s suspended

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
I don’t have time to read the last 4 pages to see if it’s mentioned...

Jack said “called up on the rug,” so I assume that’s in person. Isn’t that a mandatory suspension?

I think he’ll get a game. Totally unwarranted after the decision made hours earlier on Kukan.

Parros is a hack.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
nobody is trying to say the Anderson & Backes hits are "the same".

We're saying that from a punishment standpoint, the hit on Backes was just as dirty or worse. If that didn't get a game then neither should Charlie's hit.

btw, whoever said the elbow to Backes was just a "play in tight"...bull****. Kukan comes at him from a significant distance with a targeted elbow. Watch it here:

When you basically say that “well if this isn’t a suspension, then how can this be?!”...you are obviously implying the hits are the same or at least very, very similar. In reality, it’s completely different circumstances and plays leading up to the result. The only similarity is that both are head contact.

I would have liked to see Kukan get suspended for a game, but he didn’t. Sucks. And sure, I’d love to hear the DOPS reason.

But looking at the McAvoy hit...the fact that it’s on a guy who is engaged with another player, who has no chance to defend himself, and the fact that Charlie elevates his shoulder upward into the hit...I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a game.

Hey, it’s my team. I don’t want him suspended. But if it happens, I get it. And I’m not going to be “outraged” and threatening to never watch the league again if things don’t go my way which has become a tradition with some.

Reactions: LSCII and ThomasJ13

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
losing McAvoy is a huge disadvantage game 1 with Carolina being rested and having a tough forecheck. To make series altering decisions like this they should crack down on real predatory hits rather than an unintentional result of hardnosed hockey. McAvoy in that situation has no motivation to make a dirty play, sometimes hits to the head happen. the league should only look at intent here. 2 min penalty was justified and should be left at that. Satisfying media pundit talking heads is no reason for a suspension

Reactions: KnightofBoston
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->