Confirmed with Link: Charlie Coyle to the Bruins for Donato and a conditional 5th-round pick - 4th if B's make 2nd round

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hajj

Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
Boise, Idaho
Another soft forward with no scoring touch. Just what this roster needs. Backes must be happy. He won’t look so slow skating with Coyle. Thanks Don.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Just not a fan of this one. Coyle is another player who is from the area which draws more interest than he should. He's got size that he doesn't use. If this is their top 6 RW addition I am not impressed.

If he's coming to play 3rd line center and a legit RW is coming in another deal, I'll feel a little better about it.

Also. 15 points in 44 games. That's pretty mediocre production.

member 96824

My only hope is that B's fans keep their expectations in the right spot. We have a tendency to see size and the blood rushes to the brain a little too quickly. Coyle's a good player, but he's not a physical one..and like any 20 goal 40-50 point guy he's going to have inconsistent stretches. I hope we don't Jimmy Hayes him.

That being said, the trade here is awesome. I'm not a huge Donato guy so sign me up.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
Weird trade. Don't mind moving Donato given his struggles, but I would have thought he would have much more value than that still given his apparent ceiling (if they were comfortable moving him, wouldn't he have been a good piece for a Panarin/Stone?).

Coyle is a fine player, but if he's here to play C, are we comfortable with him essentially blocking Frederic (who has looked solid) or JFK (or even Studnicka) for another year too? Or is the plan to play him at 3RW next year? I have a hard time imagining the plan is for him to play in the top-6 given how well some of the combos have been working lately, and that's with Pastrnak out.

I think that's why Coyle was an attractive piece. He can be your 3C now. If one of the 3 prospects earns a spot, Coyle can shift to 3RW. If no one earns it, they don't have to be forced into that spot

Cronuss

Feb 19, 2007
NH
Donato has a game-breaking shot. Ryan Spooner didn't have game-breaking anything.
I don't have a crystal ball, but I expect Donato to be a 20+ goal scorer or better, once he puts it all together.
Gave up on him too early, IMO.

Reactions: bruinshoper

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Coyle's biggest problems are he was 1st round pick, was traded to Wild as part of Burns deal, and seems to ooze talent but doesn't consistently produce like you hope for from pedigree. If people can accept that he is a middle 6 player who can handle either C or RW and on reasonable contract, I think he's quite a nice player. Obviously Donato could blow up, but given multiple opportunities has yet to do it. Seems like good move by Bruines. And Wild are just awful right now so they are just shipping out good players for discount prices (unlike Rask at least Donato won't cost big $ for them if he doesn't produce). I expect there are not a bunch of clubs lining up to take further advantage of them.

Are we converting you? I wonder when the name Bruinston will start appearing around here :D

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
You might be right. I like Donato but there are some things in his game that are lacking especially given his pedigree. Plus I just don’t know enough about Coyle, but it seems like a decent trade for both teams.

We’ll have to see how Coyle fits and what moves they make from here on out

I think Donato has a sublime shot but will always be a guy who would rather play from the perimeter than get his nose dirty and come playoff time, you need all hands on deck with those willing to do things that aren`t always in their comfort zone. I envision Donato being a guy you always think you should get more from. I hear some of the same about Coyle about him leaving you wishing he`d done more but at the very least he`s tied for 6th on the B`s with pts:laugh:

Reactions: Chief Nine

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
Just not a fan of this one. Coyle is another player who is from the area which draws more interest than he should. He's got size that he doesn't use. If this is their top 6 RW addition I am not impressed.

If he's coming to play 3rd line center and a legit RW is coming in another deal, I'll feel a little better about it.

Also. 15 points in 44 games. That's pretty mediocre production.

Where are you seeing 15 points in 44 games? I see 28 in 60 and 37 in 66 the year before. Basically 0.5PPG-ish.

Pretty sure this is their 3rd line addition and a bigger fish is coming for the 2nd line, they barely used any assets.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
The other factor is Donato will need to be signed
Although an RFA he will get a raise over his $900,000

The Hajj

Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
Boise, Idaho
Solid insight.

Sheppy, look into your crystal ball and play those Powerball numbers.

I’ve watched a lot of Wild games in the last few years and Coyle is not very good. He isn’t going to change anything for the Bruins woes. I hope I’m proven wrong, but this guy has been underachieving his whole career.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
The other factor is Donato will need to be signed
Although an RFA he will get a raise over his $900,000

He won't get much of anything money wise. He hasn't done anything to prove it. 1 year deal for around 1 million

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Sheppy, look into your crystal ball and play those Powerball numbers.

I’ve watched a lot of Wild games in the last few years and Coyle is not very good. He isn’t going to change anything for the Bruins woes. I hope I’m proven wrong, but this guy has been underachieving his whole career.
Right now he makes the third line better. Third line was an issue for the Bruins, they've improved it.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
What you talking about? I posted his size and your saying that .Wait till he plays here before bashing him.Donato never played big .

There are certain expectations that come with being 6'3 220 and being a Bruin. Coyle is not that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad