Confirmed with Link: Charlie Coyle to the Bruins for Donato and a conditional 5th-round pick - 4th if B's make 2nd round

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greek_physique

Caron - Legit SNIPER
Jul 9, 2004
Toronto, Ont
So we basically added another top 9 player, without giving a roster player...sure Donato could become a top 6 player (I'm happy he gets the chance to learn from another small player in Parise) but our window to win is now...you can't be upset adding someone like this.

Also, we still have good prospects and top picks in the system.

IMO, more to come

riverhawkey91

May 22, 2011
Lowell, MA
I don’t really think Fredric has looked good, honestly.

The scoring hasn't been there yet, but I think he's picked up the rest of the NHL game much faster than a lot of the other rookies we've had in. Remember JFK's first game last year? His defense, board battles and faceoff ability has been leaps better than everything except maybe DeBrusk (who has more AHL time) The scoring will come; we know he has a shot...could be linemate issues.

I think that's why Coyle was an attractive piece. He can be your 3C now. If one of the 3 prospects earns a spot, Coyle can shift to 3RW. If no one earns it, they don't have to be forced into that spot

That's fair, but it leaves them in a weird spot with Backes (which is currently there). It's also another relatively high-priced 3rd liner whose job could likely be filled by an ELC contract to take away from space that could probably be better utilized in the top-6.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Trade Candidate: Charlie Coyle

Coyle is signed through 2019-20 with an AAV of $3.2MM. However, the actual dollar cost is higher in both years. He’s making $3.75MM in salary this season and $4.25MM next year. Coyle will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of the deal which does not hold any trade protection.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Just not a fan of this one. Coyle is another player who is from the area which draws more interest than he should. He's got size that he doesn't use. If this is their top 6 RW addition I am not impressed.

If he's coming to play 3rd line center and a legit RW is coming in another deal, I'll feel a little better about it.

Also. 15 points in 44 games. That's pretty mediocre production.

28 in 60

Reactions: Krupp

BruinsPortugal

Dec 3, 2009
Portugal
Can he really play center though? Being versatile is one thing, being a center capable of winning FO’s and match up against Toronto and Tampa is something different.

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
He plays like he’s 5-9 170 tho

Regardless I’ll hate the deal in 2 years but we needed current NHL players

Donato will blow away his nhl career
Would you rather have done Donato and a first for Wood? I would have. One of my first posts was that and I got laughed at.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Can he really play center though? Being versatile is one thing, being a center capable of winning FO’s and match up against Toronto and Tampa is something different.

Sometimes? I think he's better as a RW. He has moved back and forth between RW and C a few times in Minnesota. He is at best a 3rd line center.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I'm going to wait and see how this all plays out before I judge it or get worked up. At the end of the day, Coyle plays a small game. Like really small. People here reading his height and weight and extrapolating out that he'll be a physical player are going to be sadly mistaken. He's more Jimmy Hayes than Ryan Reaves. He's got a big body but doesn't use it very effectively.

As for Donato, he didn't seem to fit here. The team wanted him to be something he's not, which I think is part of the problem organizationally. They take natural centers, don't like their games for that spot so they shift them to wing, and rather than let them play to their offensive strengths, they go to the extreme where they expect the player to become a 200 foot complete guy before they're comfortable with said player being on the ice. I think if the right organization gets a guy like Donato and let's him play to his strengths, he'll be a very good second line scoring/second PP unit type of option.

It just feels like at the moment they sold low on Donato and not because of the player, but because they're stuck organizationally looking to discover the next Patrice Bergeron.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
He still has size and size takes up lots of space and sceeens goalies etc and also reach and skill.They got him for nothing off the roster.Won this trade by a mile cause Donato was not making it here.

It is way too early to say they won this by a mile.

They didn't give up a roster player and didn't give up a lot in general. They also didn't get back a lot.

This cannot be the only move made.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
Good deal. He makes the team better now and has term on his deal. I think Donato at his ceiling will put up similar numbers to Coyle but with less size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad