Confirmed with Link: Charlie Coyle to the Bruins for Donato and a conditional 5th-round pick - 4th if B's make 2nd round

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Coyle's biggest problems are he was 1st round pick, was traded to Wild as part of Burns deal, and seems to ooze talent but doesn't consistently produce like you hope for from pedigree. If people can accept that he is a middle 6 player who can handle either C or RW and on reasonable contract, I think he's quite a nice player. Obviously Donato could blow up, but given multiple opportunities has yet to do it. Seems like good move by Bruines. And Wild are just awful right now so they are just shipping out good players for discount prices (unlike Rask at least Donato won't cost big $ for them if he doesn't produce). I expect there are not a bunch of clubs lining up to take further advantage of them.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Wild trades Charlie Coyle to Boston Bruins

After dropping its fifth straight game to plummet deeper into a 1-6-3 rut, the Wild started to make changes Wednesday by trading veteran forward Charlie Coyle to the Boston Bruins, a source said.

Coyle learned of the trade Wednesday afternoon as the Wild prepared to fly to New York for Thursday’s game against the Rangers.

The Wild is getting center Ryan Donato, a 22-year-old who has six goals this season, and a fifth-round pick in return, the source said.

A regular in the trade rumor mill, Coyle is the second core piece from the Wild to get traded this season. Winger Nino Niederreiter was shipped to the Carolina Hurricanes last month in exchange for center Victor Rask.

Acquired in the Brent Burns trade with the Sharks in 2011, Coyle spent parts of seven seasons with the Wild, scoring 91 goals and racking up 242 points in 479 games.

This season, he had 10 goals and 28 points in 60 games, splitting time between wing and center.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
I like it
The Wild have been an up and down team all year
Problem now is getting him someone to play with

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
This is an exceelent pickup. The cost is steep, Donato is going to be a good secondary scorer, but this guy made the most sense out of all the 3C options.

Mid 20’s
Signed for another year
He has size and speed and is more willing to hit than almost all the other 3C options.
Can play C and W so they can slide him over next year if a young C is ready.

The biggest negative on him IMO is that he sometimes goes quiet for stretches but I think being in a contract year next year will help with that.

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
Good trade.

My only concern is: assuming Sweeney plans to make another move this makes the cap situation real sticky.

Really hoping this isnt it. It's a great piece but doesnt put us over the hump IMO
For next year ? I wouldn’t think there be an issue this year with Pastrnak on iR until after the trade deadline

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
I`d take that bet, think Donato will turn out like Spooner, one trick pony

I doubt Donato scores as many points as Spooner in the NHL personally, I dunno maybe I just don't see Donato as highly as a lot of people did. He had a good 9 game stretch and that's really all, he's always looked lost in the d-zone and has never been a physical player so when he isn't scoring he isn't really doing much.

riverhawkey91

May 22, 2011
Lowell, MA
Weird trade. Don't mind moving Donato given his struggles, but I would have thought he would have much more value than that still given his apparent ceiling (if they were comfortable moving him, wouldn't he have been a good piece for a Panarin/Stone?).

Coyle is a fine player, but if he's here to play C, are we comfortable with him essentially blocking Frederic (who has looked solid) or JFK (or even Studnicka) for another year too? Or is the plan to play him at 3RW next year? I have a hard time imagining the plan is for him to play in the top-6 given how well some of the combos have been working lately, and that's with Pastrnak out.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I`d take that bet, think Donato will turn out like Spooner, one trick pony

You might be right. I like Donato but there are some things in his game that are lacking especially given his pedigree. Plus I just don’t know enough about Coyle, but it seems like a decent trade for both teams.

We’ll have to see how Coyle fits and what moves they make from here on out

Reactions: bruins19

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Weird trade. Don't mind moving Donato given his struggles, but I would have thought he would have much more value than that still given his apparent ceiling (if they were comfortable moving him, wouldn't he have been a good piece for a Panarin/Stone?).

Coyle is a fine player, but if he's here to play C, are we comfortable with him essentially blocking Frederic (who has looked solid) or JFK (or even Studnicka) for another year too? Or is the plan to play him at 3RW next year? I have a hard time imagining the plan is for him to play in the top-6 given how well some of the combos have been working lately, and that's with Pastrnak out.
I don’t really think Fredric has looked good, honestly.

Scruffy

Jun 18, 2009
Bawstin
I like it. Gotta give to get and you're trading from a position of strength. I wish Donato success in Minny. Welcome to Boston Charlie!

Reactions: Bun Cook
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad