Confirmed with Link: Charlie Coyle to the Bruins for Donato and a conditional 5th-round pick - 4th if B's make 2nd round

Status
Not open for further replies.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Well, it was said on here that the comments he made in the paper didn't sit too well with upper management (can't recall who it was), and then this comes out. Not hard to see why the Bruins were okay moving him.
No big deal. Kid just wants to play. Good luck to him. I’ll be rooting.

Reactions: TCB and Nsjohnson

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
A meaningless empty net goal.

The pass on the PP was ok.

The one on the ENG was nothing special. He passed it laterally to Greenway inside the blue line, and he missed the net. Another Wild player retrieved it and fed it to Greenway again and he scored.

With the comments he made after the game, I’m already well on my way to disliking him. I mean God Forbid his coaches might actually have a plan and want him to play a certain way :laugh:

Hmmmmmmmmm what were the comments? Just the ones above in the Tweet? It just shows that he's immature and dad probably told him his whole life what a prodigy he is. He'll either sink or swim without the interference of his family and friends if any, the Boston media and then the aggravation that sooner or later the media pressure would've come if they kept him in Providence into next season. :whatever::dunno: Furthermore, the difference between the Bruins and Minnesota and the trajectory of both teams shows that the coaches and management here know how to bring a team and a player along.

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Expand on this, I missed this.

Tara Sullivan is a Globe columnist not known for writing much about hockey and suddenly she shows up in Providence and writes a column about Donato. The Bruins felt it was a setup by either his agent or family.

I think Ryan was juggling too much as he continued his studies at Harvard after signing and at that school you just can't mail it in.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Tara Sullivan is a Globe columnist not known for writing much about hockey and suddenly she shows up in Providence and writes a column about Donato. The Bruins felt it was a setup by either his agent or family.

I think Ryan was juggling too much as he continued his studies at Harvard after signing and at that school you just can't mail it in.
Is he still taking courses there presently? If so yeah, he was juggling too much.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
I always thought Dallas was one of the few teams that basically says, just go play offense. We don’t expect anything more of you. Have a great time.

Guess it’s more prevalent.

I’m surprised the Bruins are seen as hard a**** for asking pros to be pros.

I’m glad I’m a fan of this team. I wouldn’t be too thrilled with a pond hockey game plan. A lot of young divas, these days.

I’m sure like Smith, Vatrano, etc...Donato will find offensive production if that is all that’s asked of him. But if you’re giving what your getting, you’re simply treading water. Point production isn’t the whole game. Doesn’t seem like a champ plan.

Last edited:

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Who wouldn't be pissed?
I dont know? An adult? A non spoiled kid who expected a top 6 NHL job handed to him even though he wasn't working for it?

Maybe he grows up in Minnesota and reaches his potential, maybe being away from Teddy will help but he has a long way to go physically before he is ready to be a regular top 6 player and even farther to go from a maturity stand point.

Reactions: Bodit9 and Strafer

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I dont know? An adult? A non spoiled kid who expected a top 6 NHL job handed to him even though he wasn't working for it?

Maybe he grows up in Minnesota and reaches his potential, maybe being away from Teddy will help but he has a long way to go physically before he is ready to be a regular top 6 player and even farther to go from a maturity stand point.

Harvard hockey is a deeply rooted family but the program is dying.

Harvard does NOT offer scholarships but provides creative options where a student is not saddled with debt. Ryan, however, fell into another class where one of the perks of his father's job is a free ride at Harvard for his children if they are close to being academically eligible. Throw in the dynamic of your father being the coach.

It is fair to assume there was something about Donato that the Bruins coaching staff did not like but nobody can say he wasn't given a chance.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
A meaningless empty net goal.

The pass on the PP was ok.

The one on the ENG was nothing special. He passed it laterally to Greenway inside the blue line, and he missed the net. Another Wild player retrieved it and fed it to Greenway again and he scored.

With the comments he made after the game, I’m already well on my way to disliking him. I mean God Forbid his coaches might actually have a plan and want him to play a certain way :laugh:

Typical. Here comes the anti Donato campaign. Why not just enjoy the Bruins who are playing great?

Reactions: Mr. Make-Believe

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Good kid taking some shots on the way out?

Going double gif on this one. 1st is my serious one and the 2nd my joke one

giphy.gif

and then....

giphy.gif

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
What's this? Donato made a snarky comment that could be vaguely interpreted as a shot against Cassidy and the Bruins?!

HOW DARE HE

Seriously though, he's gone and that's that. This team has a consummate, NHL professional coming in his place, who's already played hundreds of games and has NHL playoff experience. A guy who knows the stakes and knows what he needs to do. I think I can live with that. Donato just needs to accept that he wasn't good enough and move on. And get good enough to make Boston regret the trade.

But good for him on those assists, lucky or not. Minnesota's probably gonna gauge him this last half of the season to see what he's got

And also, 13 is my lucky number. I LOVE that Coyle's gonna wear it

Reactions: Strafer

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
I have to agree with some others here; he needs to stay down on the third line and make it a genuine third line, instead of a fourth line masquerading as a third line.

He's a solid talent, and i'm glad he's on the team, but I have no delusions of believing he'd be terrific on Krejci's wing. At best he'd be an upgrade to the times of Nordstrom being there, but that's not what Krejci and Debrusk need. They need a real playmaking, scoring talent to keep up with them

Reactions: Oates2Neely

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Donato played like crap and looked like a lost puppy out there. If he wants to blame anyone but him for that go ahead but people who choose to do that usually turn into losers their entire lives so yeah, 2 assists eh? Good for him.

he played his heart out for team USA in the Olympics what a loser!!! if the Bruins couldnt get that out of him and Minnesota does, the coaching is responsible.

If Donato playing well 1 game is irking some ego's here thats sad.

Reactions: Nsjohnson and Rumpy

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
He was given plenty of opportunities.

Started off well, pretty much useless this year, not good enough in the D zone.

1 game in Minnesota. Different system, different team - different league standing situation & very different short-term goals.

He didn't do well enough here, we need help now not in 3 years, so this deal makes sense. Hopefully it works out.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

1 game in Minnesota. Different system, different team - different league standing situation & very different short-term goals.

He didn't do well enough here, we need help now not in 3 years, so this deal makes sense. Hopefully it works out.

Cassidy's primary focus is putting the best 19 players he has at his disposal on the ice on any given night.

Short term he perhaps can help Minnesota hang on to a playoff slot and if he helps then good for him. It wasn't going to happen in Boston this year.

upload_2019-2-22_7-3-25.png

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I hope does well. He will with maturity and work. He’s a kid who wants to play. Look at Wheeler. Great player now. Wrong timing on the Bruins. Same situation.

Reactions: KrejciMVP

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

until recently none of the young players were tearing it up, Donato similar to Heinen and Debrusk could now be waking up and getting some confidence.

The concern here is shipping him out at the lowest value possible. Coyle is who is he but nobody can tell what Donato will be after 20 points and 46 NHL games at this point.

BruinsPortugal

Dec 3, 2009
Portugal
he played his heart out for team USA in the Olympics what a loser!!! if the Bruins couldnt get that out of him and Minnesota does, the coaching is responsible.

If Donato playing well 1 game is irking some ego's here thats sad.
Like i care for what he did for team USA. :laugh:

Yeah, one team is 4th in the league and 2nd in the east, the other is 19th in the league and fighting for a wildcard spot. Stupid coach :rolleyes:

If you cant understand that its not what he is doing in minnesota that is irking people maybe i shouldnt even be replying..yup thats probably my mistake dude, sorry.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
until recently none of the young players were tearing it up, Donato similar to Heinen and Debrusk could now be waking up and getting some confidence.

The concern here is shipping him out at the lowest value possible. Coyle is who is he but nobody can tell what Donato will be after 20 points 46 NHL games at this point.
Using this logic you never trade a prospect or pick. Ever. They had obviously seen enough of Donato, his Spooner like whining as he left isn't making him look any better.

Maybe he and Spooner can form the nucleus for Forlunda or Dynamo in a few years, one has shown he is not willing to listen to coaches or work to improve his game and is on the verge of being out of North American hockey the other can go either way. Shut up, work hard on a team that needs offense and make something of yourself or expect another team to just give you a job in the NHL whether you have earned it or not.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Using this logic you never trade a prospect or pick. Ever. They had obviously seen enough of Donato, his Spooner like whining as he left isn't making him look any better.

Maybe he and Spooner can form the nucleus for Forlunda or Dynamo in a few years, one has shown he is not willing to listen to coaches or work to improve his game and is on the verge of being out of North American hockey the other can go either way. Shut up, work hard on a team that needs offense and make something of yourself or expect another team to just give you a job in the NHL whether you have earned it or not.

I just hope this isnt the same old rerun. Bruins can't figure out how to get the most out of a scorer, ship him out for a 3rd liner who shuts his mouth and grinds the right way. Hes a kid who wants to play, that's not a bad thing for minny

Reactions: TCB
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad