Confirmed with Link: Charlie Coyle to the Bruins for Donato and a conditional 5th-round pick - 4th if B's make 2nd round

Discussion in 'Boston Bruins' started by Johnny4778, Feb 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HockeyMomx2

HockeyMomx2 HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

Veterinary Assistant
    Bad advice from his agent that back fired I'm starting think.

AngryMilkcrates likes this.
  2. HockeyMomx2

HockeyMomx2 HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

Veterinary Assistant
    Ummmmm Ryan had plenty opportunity to prove why he should stay with big club.

Chief Nine and lopey like this.
  3. WhalerTurnedBruin55

WhalerTurnedBruin55 Registered User

This is where I disagree where the Bruins are at.

Of course it would help now, but would it be enough? I think the Bruins are almost back there, but keep building. I dislike the price of rentals, and I think it's much more fruitful to save those assets and deal them in the off season should the right player be available.

Giving up a first, a top 5 prospect, etc for a rental, if the Bruins lose, all of those assets would look much better used towards a long term player in the off season. The player the Bruins acquire, I'm assuming are a player the Bruins want long term, but a rental just doesn't sit right with me right now.

4. Fenian24

Fenian24 Registered User

It will be interesting (but not surprising) to see if this move generates as much consternation as the Spooner trade. Let's remember how that turned out for Spooner. Looked great for 15 games with the Rangers now on third team, counting AHL, since Rangers dealt him and probably only getting that chance because of Benning. Donato could easily follow suit,

Chief Nine and lopey like this.
  5. LSCII

LSCII Dark Cloud

sales
    Home Page:
    46 games over 2 seasons in enough time to you? Especially if you're not being put in a position to succeed?

Hell, he wasn't even playing his natural position during that time. You don't think him playing off position, and being told to play a certain way resulted in him overthinking and trying not to make a mistake? You honestly can't play that way. You have to play and react without worrying about getting sat if you make a mistake, but that's not how it is here. Here, you need to play a complete 200 foot game. That's why he said it was nice to be trusted and to play his game.

6. LSCII

LSCII Dark Cloud

sales
    Home Page:
    I don't know if Donato will ever be a top line talent and I really don't care if he doesn't. I just find it odd that this organization continually chokes on integrating young offensive minded players into their roster for some reason.

7. Chief Nine

Chief Nine HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

I guess David Pastrnak somehow slipped through the cracks? Ryan Donato was given more than enough opportunities here and in Providence and he wasn't cutting it for the Bruins. Remember he's a LW and that means Marchand, DeBrusk and Heinen are in front of him. He needed to carve out a spot for himself here and he clearly wasn't ready.

He got traded for a more experienced player who fills a need that B's have had to address since Riley Nash left. For him to say what he did was immature and dishonest and has nothing to to with the Bruins "letting yet another skill player go"

Sevendust and AngryMilkcrates like this.
  8. Fenian24

Fenian24 Registered User

David Pastrnak says hi

trenton1 and Chief Nine like this.
  9. Donnie Shulzhoffer

Donnie Shulzhoffer Rocket Surgery Sponsor

Charlie McAvoy says hey

10. GloryDaze4877

GloryDaze4877 Barely Irrelevant

I’m not sure you have been paying attention (maybe you haven’t), but I have had my questions about Donato since Camp.

Even before that, I thought him coming in and ripping it up his first 5 games was the worst thing that could happen from a career development standpoint. It put pressure on him as a player and gave the fans a lot of unrealistic expectations (maybe the FO too).

Camp rolls around and I thought he was worse than Cehlarik, Frederic, and Bjork from what I saw, and that the best thing for him would be to go down to PRO for the year and work on his 200 ft game. Instead he gets gifted a spot on the roster (imo) because his last name is Donato. Anybody else would have been sent down.

What I saw this year was a kid who has different effort levels in the offensive and defensive zones. In the O zone, he was hard on pucks, and made some nice plays. He also shot from everywhere (when teammates were in better spots) and got knocked off the puck easily. In the defensive zone, the effort and IQ didn’t seem to be there. He would come down too low on his coverage and then not be able to get to the boards on a wrap by the D or to defend a shot from the point.

I think he has NHL hands and shot right now, but the rest of his game is not NHL ready. He’s not even close to Heinen or DeBrusk (whom you referenced in an another post) on a compete level or from a defensive standpoint. This isn’t about hurt egos :)laugh:), it’s about a kid who has not played well, looked out of place and IMO got more rope than he should have because of who his Dad is...then on the way out the door he has the balls to take a shot at the coaching staff, and before that say that he “deserved” to be up in Boston (when he clearly didn’t).

Compare that to a kid like Senyshyn who was a 40 goal scorer in the OHL, first round pick, and by all accounts is an extremely hard worker and is doing everything the coaches are asking of him, even thought it’s completely different from the role he had in junior. Never hear a peep out of the kid, and he gets **** on here all the time, but I’m supposed to feel bad for Donato who got every advantage here?

Not going to happen.

Sevendust, trenton1 and Chief Nine like this.
  11. lopey

lopey Registered User

Finance Manager
    My question and we all do not know the answer to this, is was he listening to the coaches and adjusting his game to what they wanted from him. He was not going to be on the roster with his skill set as is.

12. LSCII

LSCII Dark Cloud

sales
    Home Page:
    Yeah, and how did his first couple of years go here? Was he given free rein? I mean crap, his rookie season they loaned him out to his junior team. And that's all of one example. There are plenty of others that can be thrown out as a counter point. Kessel. Seguin. Wheeler. Hamilton. Krug. I could go on and on if you'd like. Organizationally, I think it's an issue and an area they can absolutely improve on.

13. Ratty

Ratty Registered User

Surfing
    Home Page:
    So happy for Ryan on his Minnesota debut. He has a bright future in this league and I look forward to seeing his exploits.

Charlie Coyle will be a valuable addition to the roster. And we can still enjoy a healthy Anders Bjork and his skill on the wing for next season.

Flannelman likes this.
  14. Donnie Shulzhoffer

Donnie Shulzhoffer Rocket Surgery Sponsor

You are still operationg under the Claude (sit the kids) Julien mentality that does not exist anymore.

15. Blowfish

Blowfish Registered User

Bjork good lord forgot about him lol

16. trenton1

trenton1 Bergeron for Hart

In the media, Donato sounded a little Spooner-ish this week. Not sure if Donato will go the same way on the ice after the bloom is off the rose post-trade but we'll see. That attitude isn't always malignant, but it certainly can be malignant a fair amount of the time for a developing player.

Chief Nine likes this.
  17. LSCII

LSCII Dark Cloud

sales
    Home Page:
    Well that's the million dollar question. I would say that as a young guy he's watching and seeing guys like Bjork, Heinan, JFK, and Colby Cave all getting better chances than him and you have to wonder why. He clearly needs to round out his game, but I simply see it as a short coming of the front office right now. And it's not specific to Donato.

lopey likes this.
  18. KrejciMVP

KrejciMVP Registered User

Donato had 11 goals in his first 46 hockey games. He project as a 20 goal scorer for his first 82 games. Might even improve on that. Bruins were patient with Heinen same logic could have been applied to Donato.

LSCII likes this.
  19. NoregreB

NoregreB Registered User

Ryan struggled to win puck battles. Why do you think any part of his skillset would translate to center on this team?

Besides that, he was very behind the curve when it came to the speed of the NHL and I'm not even talking about skating. He was out of position offensively, and defensively, and weak on the puck. He flashed his brilliant hands and shot and offensive instincts literally once in a blue moon. I say this because I watched him and consistently came to the same conclusion most of the games he played. He miserably failed the eye test the same way Vatrano did when he was here.

We gave Heinen 100 chances this season because at the minimum he was somewhat dependable on his 200 ft game. He's flipped a switch and figured it out. Donato needs to round out his game. Maybe the system got into his head and the game sped up for him.

20. lopey

lopey Registered User

Finance Manager
    Time will tell I guess. Lets see what he does over the next couple of years.

LSCII likes this.
  21. LSCII

LSCII Dark Cloud

sales
    Home Page:
    Exactly. And what was the difference between Donato and Heinen? Heinen played a better 200 foot game.

KrejciMVP likes this.
  22. LSCII

LSCII Dark Cloud

sales
    Home Page:
    It does though. I said a while ago that I blamed Claude for this approach, and while he certainly embraced it, I'm firmly convinced now that he was just following what they wanted. Organizationally, they want 200 foot, complete players that are strong in all 3 zones. No integrating young offensive minded guys in until they weren't a defensive liability.

23. Chief Nine

Chief Nine HFBoards Sponsor Sponsor

Tory Krug weighs in and says hello too

24. rocketdan9

rocketdan9 Registered User

Charlie Coyle on Joining Bruins: 'Exciting Time'

25. Therick67

Therick67 Registered User

For better or worse, that's what this organization wants. It's up to Donato to make himself better in that area, if that's what it's going to take.

Add Debusk to the list of young players who did what was necessary...

HockeyMomx2 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.