Confirmed with Link: Charlie Coyle to the Bruins for Donato and a conditional 5th-round pick - 4th if B's make 2nd round

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
I don't think it's nearly as bad as you portray it to be honest. He's a kid, he wanted to play, felt he had enough offensive upside to warrant playing, yet the organization wanted him to be a complete player before he was truthfully given a shot. They're doing the same thing to Senyshyn right now. That guy probably has the offensive ability to contribute in some manner to the big team, yet he won't see the ice for them until the organization deems him not a liability on the defensive side.

It's frustrating to me as a fan because I see guys that could easily do more than a Backes or Nordstrom, yet they don't get the chance. It's even more frustrating when other teams seemingly have the ability to integrate young offensive minded players into the mix, while working with them behind the scenes to improve their overall game. But not here. It's why I used to laugh at the posters who were mad the team didn't draft Barzal, because in reality if they had, he'd probably still be working on his 200 foot game in Providence.

I honestly think this is an organizational issue, with the team trying to manufacture the next Patrice Bergeron instead of letting young players play to their strengths.
Ummmmm Ryan had plenty opportunity to prove why he should stay with big club.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Cap friendly server is down for maintenance at moment.Bruins got to pay McAvoy and Carlo for sure soon.Chara no doubt gonna bind us down for 3 or 4 million.And Stone will be on market come July 1st is a good bet and Sweeney will no doubt want a crack at him.If Bruins take on more salary long-term now it will really tighten things up.They got Coyle and it was a solid move so I do not see the big deal adding a rental.Its ties Bruins to nothing but helps right now.
This is where I disagree where the Bruins are at.

Of course it would help now, but would it be enough? I think the Bruins are almost back there, but keep building. I dislike the price of rentals, and I think it's much more fruitful to save those assets and deal them in the off season should the right player be available.

Giving up a first, a top 5 prospect, etc for a rental, if the Bruins lose, all of those assets would look much better used towards a long term player in the off season. The player the Bruins acquire, I'm assuming are a player the Bruins want long term, but a rental just doesn't sit right with me right now.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
It will be interesting (but not surprising) to see if this move generates as much consternation as the Spooner trade. Let's remember how that turned out for Spooner. Looked great for 15 games with the Rangers now on third team, counting AHL, since Rangers dealt him and probably only getting that chance because of Benning. Donato could easily follow suit,

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Ummmmm Ryan had plenty opportunity to prove why he should stay with big club.

46 games over 2 seasons in enough time to you? Especially if you're not being put in a position to succeed?

Hell, he wasn't even playing his natural position during that time. You don't think him playing off position, and being told to play a certain way resulted in him overthinking and trying not to make a mistake? You honestly can't play that way. You have to play and react without worrying about getting sat if you make a mistake, but that's not how it is here. Here, you need to play a complete 200 foot game. That's why he said it was nice to be trusted and to play his game.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
It will be interesting (but not surprising) to see if this move generates as much consternation as the Spooner trade. Let's remember how that turned out for Spooner. Looked great for 15 games with the Rangers now on third team, counting AHL, since Rangers dealt him and probably only getting that chance because of Benning. Donato could easily follow suit,

I don't know if Donato will ever be a top line talent and I really don't care if he doesn't. I just find it odd that this organization continually chokes on integrating young offensive minded players into their roster for some reason.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
I don't think it's nearly as bad as you portray it to be honest. He's a kid, he wanted to play, felt he had enough offensive upside to warrant playing, yet the organization wanted him to be a complete player before he was truthfully given a shot. They're doing the same thing to Senyshyn right now. That guy probably has the offensive ability to contribute in some manner to the big team, yet he won't see the ice for them until the organization deems him not a liability on the defensive side.

It's frustrating to me as a fan because I see guys that could easily do more than a Backes or Nordstrom, yet they don't get the chance. It's even more frustrating when other teams seemingly have the ability to integrate young offensive minded players into the mix, while working with them behind the scenes to improve their overall game. But not here. It's why I used to laugh at the posters who were mad the team didn't draft Barzal, because in reality if they had, he'd probably still be working on his 200 foot game in Providence.

I honestly think this is an organizational issue, with the team trying to manufacture the next Patrice Bergeron instead of letting young players play to their strengths.

I guess David Pastrnak somehow slipped through the cracks? Ryan Donato was given more than enough opportunities here and in Providence and he wasn't cutting it for the Bruins. Remember he's a LW and that means Marchand, DeBrusk and Heinen are in front of him. He needed to carve out a spot for himself here and he clearly wasn't ready.

He got traded for a more experienced player who fills a need that B's have had to address since Riley Nash left. For him to say what he did was immature and dishonest and has nothing to to with the Bruins "letting yet another skill player go"

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Typical. Here comes the anti Donato campaign. Why not just enjoy the Bruins who are playing great?

he played his heart out for team USA in the Olympics what a loser!!! if the Bruins couldnt get that out of him and Minnesota does, the coaching is responsible.

If Donato playing well 1 game is irking some ego's here thats sad.

I’m not sure you have been paying attention (maybe you haven’t), but I have had my questions about Donato since Camp.

Even before that, I thought him coming in and ripping it up his first 5 games was the worst thing that could happen from a career development standpoint. It put pressure on him as a player and gave the fans a lot of unrealistic expectations (maybe the FO too).

Camp rolls around and I thought he was worse than Cehlarik, Frederic, and Bjork from what I saw, and that the best thing for him would be to go down to PRO for the year and work on his 200 ft game. Instead he gets gifted a spot on the roster (imo) because his last name is Donato. Anybody else would have been sent down.

What I saw this year was a kid who has different effort levels in the offensive and defensive zones. In the O zone, he was hard on pucks, and made some nice plays. He also shot from everywhere (when teammates were in better spots) and got knocked off the puck easily. In the defensive zone, the effort and IQ didn’t seem to be there. He would come down too low on his coverage and then not be able to get to the boards on a wrap by the D or to defend a shot from the point.

I think he has NHL hands and shot right now, but the rest of his game is not NHL ready. He’s not even close to Heinen or DeBrusk (whom you referenced in an another post) on a compete level or from a defensive standpoint. This isn’t about hurt egos :)laugh:), it’s about a kid who has not played well, looked out of place and IMO got more rope than he should have because of who his Dad is...then on the way out the door he has the balls to take a shot at the coaching staff, and before that say that he “deserved” to be up in Boston (when he clearly didn’t).

Compare that to a kid like Senyshyn who was a 40 goal scorer in the OHL, first round pick, and by all accounts is an extremely hard worker and is doing everything the coaches are asking of him, even thought it’s completely different from the role he had in junior. Never hear a peep out of the kid, and he gets shit on here all the time, but I’m supposed to feel bad for Donato who got every advantage here?

Not going to happen.

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
46 games over 2 seasons in enough time to you? Especially if you're not being put in a position to succeed?

Hell, he wasn't even playing his natural position during that time. You don't think him playing off position, and being told to play a certain way resulted in him overthinking and trying not to make a mistake? You honestly can't play that way. You have to play and react without worrying about getting sat if you make a mistake, but that's not how it is here. Here, you need to play a complete 200 foot game. That's why he said it was nice to be trusted and to play his game.
My question and we all do not know the answer to this, is was he listening to the coaches and adjusting his game to what they wanted from him. He was not going to be on the roster with his skill set as is.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
David Pastrnak says hi

Yeah, and how did his first couple of years go here? Was he given free rein? I mean crap, his rookie season they loaned him out to his junior team. And that's all of one example. There are plenty of others that can be thrown out as a counter point. Kessel. Seguin. Wheeler. Hamilton. Krug. I could go on and on if you'd like. Organizationally, I think it's an issue and an area they can absolutely improve on.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
So happy for Ryan on his Minnesota debut. He has a bright future in this league and I look forward to seeing his exploits.

Charlie Coyle will be a valuable addition to the roster. And we can still enjoy a healthy Anders Bjork and his skill on the wing for next season.

Reactions: Flannelman

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Yeah, and how did his first couple of years go here? Was he given free rein? I mean crap, his rookie season they loaned him out to his junior team. And that's all of one example. There are plenty of others that can be thrown out as a counter point. Kessel. Seguin. Wheeler. Hamilton. Krug. I could go on and on if you'd like. Organizationally, I think it's an issue and an area they can absolutely improve on.
You are still operationg under the Claude (sit the kids) Julien mentality that does not exist anymore.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
So happy for Ryan on his Minnesota debut. He has a bright future in this league and I look forward to seeing his exploits.

Charlie Coyle will be a valuable addition to the roster. And we can still enjoy a healthy Anders Bjork and his skill on the wing for next season.

Bjork good lord forgot about him lol

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
In the media, Donato sounded a little Spooner-ish this week. Not sure if Donato will go the same way on the ice after the bloom is off the rose post-trade but we'll see. That attitude isn't always malignant, but it certainly can be malignant a fair amount of the time for a developing player.

Reactions: Chief Nine

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
My question and we all do not know the answer to this, is was he listening to the coaches and adjusting his game to what they wanted from him. He was not going to be on the roster with his skill set as is.

Well that's the million dollar question. I would say that as a young guy he's watching and seeing guys like Bjork, Heinan, JFK, and Colby Cave all getting better chances than him and you have to wonder why. He clearly needs to round out his game, but I simply see it as a short coming of the front office right now. And it's not specific to Donato.

Reactions: lopey

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

Donato had 11 goals in his first 46 hockey games. He project as a 20 goal scorer for his first 82 games. Might even improve on that. Bruins were patient with Heinen same logic could have been applied to Donato.

Reactions: LSCII

False Start

May 8, 2018

Ryan struggled to win puck battles. Why do you think any part of his skillset would translate to center on this team?

Besides that, he was very behind the curve when it came to the speed of the NHL and I'm not even talking about skating. He was out of position offensively, and defensively, and weak on the puck. He flashed his brilliant hands and shot and offensive instincts literally once in a blue moon. I say this because I watched him and consistently came to the same conclusion most of the games he played. He miserably failed the eye test the same way Vatrano did when he was here.

We gave Heinen 100 chances this season because at the minimum he was somewhat dependable on his 200 ft game. He's flipped a switch and figured it out. Donato needs to round out his game. Maybe the system got into his head and the game sped up for him.

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
Well that's the million dollar question. I would say that as a young guy he's watching and seeing guys like Bjork, Heinan, JFK, and Colby Cave all getting better chances than him and you have to wonder why. He clearly needs to round out his game, but I simply see it as a short coming of the front office right now. And it's not specific to Donato.
Time will tell I guess. Lets see what he does over the next couple of years.

Reactions: LSCII

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Donato had 11 goals in his first 46 hockey games. He project as a 20 goal scorer for his first 82 games. Might even improve on that. Bruins were patient with Heinen same logic could have been applied to Donato.

Exactly. And what was the difference between Donato and Heinen? Heinen played a better 200 foot game.

Reactions: KrejciMVP

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
You are still operationg under the Claude (sit the kids) Julien mentality that does not exist anymore.

It does though. I said a while ago that I blamed Claude for this approach, and while he certainly embraced it, I'm firmly convinced now that he was just following what they wanted. Organizationally, they want 200 foot, complete players that are strong in all 3 zones. No integrating young offensive minded guys in until they weren't a defensive liability.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
It goes without saying that Charlie Coyle is pumped to be a member of the Boston Bruins.
That's not much of a stretch for a kid that grew up in East Weymouth, played at Boston University and was a diehard Bruins fan growing up as a kid on the South Shore. So getting traded to the B's from the Minnesota Wild in exchange for Ryan Donato and a conditional fifth-round pick was welcome news for the 26-year-old Coyle earlier this week.
After watching his friend Chris Wagner go through all the fun of playing for his hometown team after signing with the Bruins last summer, Wagner's former South Shore Kings teammate is going to get to do the same thing as he joins fellow Massachusetts kids in Wagner and Matt Grzelcyk on the Bruins roster.
"When you're a little kid playing and fall in love with the game, you've got the big dreams and you want to play. I'm watching more Bruins games growing up in the Boston area, so that's what you envision when you're playing street hockey in your house or in practice or just skating on the pond when you're younger," said Coyle. "You envision you're playing for the hometown team, and I definitely did some of that when I was younger. So obviously it's a cool moment right now. I don't think it's fully hit me."
MORE BRUINS
- Sweeney might stick with what he's got - Donato joins long list of Bruins traded before age 25
Coyle didn't really have a strong grasp on where he's going to fit in with the Bruins for the final quarter of the season this year, but it seems pretty clear based on Don Sweeney's comments that he's going to be the third line center for the Black and Gold.
"I'm going to talk to the coach a little more, and see what his thoughts are, and share our opinions back and forth. [We'll] see where I can best fit in and help the team, so we'll hit that when it comes. It's really an exciting time," said Coyle, who has 10 goals and 28 points in 60 games this season bouncing between center and right wing. "You dream of this when you're younger, and to come back home and play. I remember how excited Chris Wagner was this summer when he signed with the Bruins.
"It was a cool feeling for me to watch him feel that way. You kind of envision what it would be like for yourself. To go through that now is really exciting, and all my family's excited. I get to see them a little more, and I think it's going to be a really great experience."
Coyle will have to wait a few games for his Bruins debut on the home ice at TD Garden, but is expected to be in the lineup and ready to play when the B's face off against the red-hot St. Louis Blues on Saturday afternoon. But the Bruins are excited to get the big, strong and fast forward into their lineup to help finally stabilize a third line that's been in flux all season, and perhaps bring out even more from the talented Coyle than ever seemed to happen in Minnesota with the Wild.

Charlie Coyle on Joining Bruins: 'Exciting Time'

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Exactly. And what was the difference between Donato and Heinen? Heinen played a better 200 foot game.

For better or worse, that's what this organization wants. It's up to Donato to make himself better in that area, if that's what it's going to take.

Add Debusk to the list of young players who did what was necessary...

Reactions: HockeyMomx2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->