Confirmed with Link: Charlie Coyle to the Bruins for Donato and a conditional 5th-round pick - 4th if B's make 2nd round

Status
Not open for further replies.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Even if Coyle is mediocre on the third line he is an upgrade over what they've been dealing with all season. He's a great stop-gap until one of the kids is truly ready. I look at it as a solid free.agent signing mid-year. Very reasonable money at a perfect term. Nothing of much value given away in the process. Best trade chips still all available.

Reactions: Bodit9

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Good kid taking some shots on the way out?

This reeks of entitlement. A kid with his pedigree should know better than to say something like this. Never mind the fact that his dad was an NHL player and is a local guy who played for the Bruins and coaches a major D1 NCAA hockey program you'd think he's been schooled in how to handle himself. Given all that, he comes off like a whiny snot who thinks he should have been given an NHL slot because of who he is

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
You need to stop bottling up emotion.
Let it out, say what you really feel. :DD
lol I've been holding a lot in regarding him all season, but tried to be as positive as I could since he was a B. Now that he's no longer a B I can begin a process of catharsis. There's still a lot bottled up, but I don't want the mods to have to infract me so I'll behave.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
well......maybe he should have listened to his father:

“I think I’m just trying to be supportive,” Ted said in a phone conversation. “Obviously he wants to get to the NHL, get to Boston. He’s no different than anybody else down in Providence with that agenda.

“But I just kind of harp on him to be a professional, to work hard and not waste time or emotional energy on things you can’t control. Work on getting better on the ice, bigger and stronger off the ice, and have the best attitude you can have.

“I’m obviously very optimistic about his future and his ability, and I think as a dad I should be and I need to be. But I think for me it’s healthy to keep two hats on to try to add perspective at times and to make sure that he focuses on what he can control.”

He’s in Providence, but Ryan Donato insists, ‘I know I’m an NHL player’ - The Boston Globe

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
This reeks of entitlement. A kid with his pedigree should know better than to say something like this. Never mind the fact that his dad was an NHL player and is a local guy who played for the Bruins and coaches a major D1 NCAA hockey program you'd think he's been schooled in how to handle himself. Given all that, he comes off like a whiny snot who thinks he should have been given an NHL slot because of who he is

To me it just comes off as someone who is hard to coach.

What happened was that Cassidy wanted to teach him to be a 200-ft player. He was working on it but it was hard and when he made the same mistakes a few times in a row, his ice time was cut or he was sent down. Sorry but that's the NHL. Then he started to tighten up and maybe he took it the wrong way. I think every player just wants to hear "go out and play" but if that's your plan for developing players then you're not going to have a lot of success.

I like Donato and wish him all the best but I would say the red flag was this: The guy had played 3 years of college hockey before getting to Boston and his defensive game coming out was nowhere near good enough. I have no doubt that his dad understands the game and was trying to get him to work on it and change his habits but he couldn't get through. Maybe that's a father-son dynamic thing but combine it with his comments on the way out the door and it starts to look like this is a guy who is hard to coach.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World

“I think I’m just trying to be supportive,” Ted said in a phone conversation. “Obviously he wants to get to the NHL, get to Boston. He’s no different than anybody else down in Providence with that agenda.

“But I just kind of harp on him to be a professional, to work hard and not waste time or emotional energy on things you can’t control. Work on getting better on the ice, bigger and stronger off the ice, and have the best attitude you can have.

“I’m obviously very optimistic about his future and his ability, and I think as a dad I should be and I need to be. But I think for me it’s healthy to keep two hats on to try to add perspective at times and to make sure that he focuses on what he can control.”

He’s in Providence, but Ryan Donato insists, ‘I know I’m an NHL player’ - The Boston Globe
It's starting to sound like this article was the beginning of the end for him tho :-(

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
To me it just comes off as someone who is hard to coach.

What happened was that Cassidy wanted to teach him to be a 200-ft player. He was working on it but it was hard and when he made the same mistakes a few times in a row, his ice time was cut or he was sent down. Sorry but that's the NHL. Then he started to tighten up and maybe he took it the wrong way. I think every player just wants to hear "go out and play" but if that's your plan for developing players then you're not going to have a lot of success.

I like Donato and wish him all the best but I would say the red flag was this: The guy had played 3 years of college hockey before getting to Boston and his defensive game coming out was nowhere near good enough. I have no doubt that his dad understands the game and was trying to get him to work on it and change his habits but he couldn't get through. Maybe that's a father-son dynamic thing but combine it with his comments on the way out the door and it starts to look like this is a guy who is hard to coach.

Well said. I can't disagree with any of this. That said, it comes off to me like he felt that he wasn't used properly here which shows he's very immature and as I said, given who he is, that's also a big red flag

Reactions: lopey

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
Wild Fan coming in peace. I hope Coyle fits in for you guys and gives you the depth forward you need. If none of you caught the Wild game tonight, Donato was the best player on the ice, by quite a stretch. Should have maybe had a 4 point night tonight
You are going to like Donato, he has a ton of skill. The one area I saw he need to work on was his strength with the puck, he gets knocked down too often. This should improve as he gets older and puts on 10 lbs of muscle.
Did Coyle mostly play wing or center for you guys?

lopey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2009
Frozen Tundra Northern Ontario
Yeah wait till he gets man handled along the boards and starts turning over pucks, we will see then how much leeway he gets then.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Yeah wait till he gets man handled along the boards and starts turning over pucks, we will see then how much leeway he gets then.

Exactly. You know Minnesota is fighting for a playoff spot so things might get a little dicey for him when the pressure's on. We'll see how he handles it

Reactions: lopey

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
until recently none of the young players were tearing it up, Donato similar to Heinen and Debrusk could now be waking up and getting some confidence.

The concern here is shipping him out at the lowest value possible. Coyle is who is he but nobody can tell what Donato will be after 20 points and 46 NHL games at this point.
Him playing well isn't why some of us are raising our eyebrows, its his comments.

No one is attacking him or being anti-Donato. The comments are a bit unexpected

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

Which is what pisses me off about his comments. His dad taught him to be humble and have a positive attitude and he ignores it.

I'm sure Teddy isn't exactly happy with him right now.

Reactions: HockeyMomx2

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

I don't think it's nearly as bad as you portray it to be honest. He's a kid, he wanted to play, felt he had enough offensive upside to warrant playing, yet the organization wanted him to be a complete player before he was truthfully given a shot. They're doing the same thing to Senyshyn right now. That guy probably has the offensive ability to contribute in some manner to the big team, yet he won't see the ice for them until the organization deems him not a liability on the defensive side.

It's frustrating to me as a fan because I see guys that could easily do more than a Backes or Nordstrom, yet they don't get the chance. It's even more frustrating when other teams seemingly have the ability to integrate young offensive minded players into the mix, while working with them behind the scenes to improve their overall game. But not here. It's why I used to laugh at the posters who were mad the team didn't draft Barzal, because in reality if they had, he'd probably still be working on his 200 foot game in Providence.

I honestly think this is an organizational issue, with the team trying to manufacture the next Patrice Bergeron instead of letting young players play to their strengths.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->