Confirmed with Link: Charlie Coyle to the Bruins for Donato and a conditional 5th-round pick - 4th if B's make 2nd round

Status
Not open for further replies.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Minny fans going bonkers over a secondary assist on the power play on his 1st pt. To be fair he got another assist. I do remember Spooner was a steal for about 20 games for the Rags

Kid started real hot here too, but they were actually goals and they were impressive. The 1 zone ability caught up to him

I’m sure he’ll be fine though. Coyle is just a way better fit

Reactions: FanSince72

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Patrick Eaves just came off the injured list, could be a cheap addition? You could probably get him for 4th or 5th round pick?
I was amazed to see he has scored 58 goals in his last 189 games, that works out to a 25 goal scorer in 82 games.
Thoughts?
Been there. He never played and the Bruins bought him out and paid him over 2 seasons

Btown

Oct 1, 2011
Wild Fan coming in peace. I hope Coyle fits in for you guys and gives you the depth forward you need. If none of you caught the Wild game tonight, Donato was the best player on the ice, by quite a stretch. Should have maybe had a 4 point night tonight
That sounds to me like your team needs some serious help. Hope he does well for Minny he has a great shot and looked half decent on the PP on occasion in Boston.
I would keep playoff hopes low if your banking on Donato to be your best player.

Reactions: Strafer

DaStinger

Permanent Interim
Feb 14, 2007
NB, Canada
Been away a couple days. Just wanting to chime in and say this was a fantastic trade by Sweenius. Got rid of a dime a dozen AHL player and a 5th round pick for a good 3rd line center. Good job, now don't do anything silly to follow it up with, stay the course.

Reactions: Strafer

TaroTsujimoto

Apr 20, 2014
I guess that's a fair trade. Bruins get the much better player currently, whereas Minnesota gets the player with more upside. Let's not sell Donato short. He's got sick hands, a tremendous shot, and IMO is a lock to be a 20 goal scorer in the NHL. This trade has the potential to look very good for Minnesota down the road.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
The Bruins gave up a good prospect for Coyle but it might end up getting them a bargain on deadline day.

There's a big assumption here that Coyle is the 3rd line center and they're still going after a RW. I'm not so sure it's that straightforward.

Coyle is just as valuable at RW as at center and would be a great fit with Krejci.

The hidden value here is that Coyle gives the Bruins the flexibility to go after a center OR a right wing on deadline day. The Bruins can wait it out and see which one is cheaper to acquire when the market shakes out.

I think a good plan here would be to wait out the logjam of RWs that are all close in value (Zucarrello, Nyqvist, Simmonds, Dzingle) and try to pick off one cheap. If not, pivot to a center (Hayes, Anisimov, Staal, Brassard). Either way, I'd bet at least one of those 8 guys goes for cheap and any one of them would be a nice pickup and you could even add a few more names like Chaisson, Pageau, Johansson, Carter, Wennberg and Kovalchuk to the list.

Ultimately I hope they can somehow land Stone, Duschene or Panarin for a reasonable price but as a backup, there's some Sweenius at work here and it should be applauded.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
secondary assist on the PP and an assist on a meaningless goal

A meaningless empty net goal.

The pass on the PP was ok.

The one on the ENG was nothing special. He passed it laterally to Greenway inside the blue line, and he missed the net. Another Wild player retrieved it and fed it to Greenway again and he scored.

With the comments he made after the game, I’m already well on my way to disliking him. I mean God Forbid his coaches might actually have a plan and want him to play a certain way :laugh:

OV

Obstructed View
Sep 23, 2003
Niagara Falls
A meaningless empty net goal.

The pass on the PP was ok.

The one on the ENG was nothing special. He passed it laterally to Greenway inside the blue line, and he missed the net. Another Wild player retrieved it and fed it to Greenway again and he scored.

With the comments he made after the game, I’m already well on my way to disliking him. I mean God Forbid his coaches might actually have a plan and want him to play a certain way :laugh:

I wasn't a fan of his old man either.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
Who wouldn't be pissed?
I'm sure he's disappointed/pissed, but taking veiled shots for your coaches wanting you to be a better player by doing the things to get there, is being a baby. It's not like he was some perfect player that a coach had an irrational hatred towards. He was a player who had a very quick start, with a good shot, and seemed to have a knack for the net. Once the goal scoring dried up, he was a completely useless player because he did nothing else well, or frankly even adequately.

I have no doubt that he can play, and that he'll probably be a 25+ goal guy consistently, but if you're too stupid to realize why your coaches both in the NHL and AHL level are being hard on you when he was playing the way he was....I'm not sure what to say. Comments like that only show me that he didn't get it.

I like the local kids, with a few exceptions, so I'll naturally root for him, but there's just no need for that. It comes off as whiney and selfish.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Nice take, I think it definitely makes the deadline interesting.

I think this is a good move, especially because it's not a rental. I think it's still a good idea to pursue non-rentals at this stage.

I see this is a slightly elevated Chris Kelly type move. Putting the pieces there, but continue building for the long game, not just the short. So hopefully something interesting happens by deadline.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I'm sure he's disappointed/pissed, but taking veiled shots for your coaches wanting you to be a better player by doing the things to get there, is being a baby. It's not like he was some perfect player that a coach had an irrational hatred towards. He was a player who had a very quick start, with a good shot, and seemed to have a knack for the net. Once the goal scoring dried up, he was a completely useless player because he did nothing else well, or frankly even adequately.

I have no doubt that he can play, and that he'll probably be a 25+ goal guy consistently, but if you're too stupid to realize why your coaches both in the NHL and AHL level are being hard on you when he was playing the way he was....I'm not sure what to say. Comments like that only show me that he didn't get it.

I like the local kids, with a few exceptions, so I'll naturally root for him, but there's just no need for that. It comes off as whiney and selfish.

Well, it was said on here that the comments he made in the paper didn't sit too well with upper management (can't recall who it was), and then this comes out. Not hard to see why the Bruins were okay moving him.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Nice take, I think it definitely makes the deadline interesting.

I think this is a good move, especially because it's not a rental. I think it's still a good idea to pursue non-rentals at this stage.

I see this is a slightly elevated Chris Kelly type move. Putting the pieces there, but continue building for the long game, not just the short. So hopefully something interesting happens by deadline.

This is where I disagree.I think with the contracts Bruins have coming up and fact they may want a run at Stone July 1st, a rental is perfect now after a guy like Coyle with a bit of term.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
This is where I disagree.I think with the contracts Bruins have coming up and fact they may want a run at Stone July 1st, a rental is perfect now after a guy like Coyle with a bit of term.
Who is hitting UFA that you think is going to be signed to a good contract? (honest question)

I think most of the UFA deals haven't been good league wide, and Sweeney's UFA deals haven't exactly been stellar.

It's also a crapshoot, planning on UFA's seems risky. We tried last year with Kovalchuk or Tavares and came out empty handed.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Who is hitting UFA that you think is going to be signed to a good contract? (honest question)

I think most of the UFA deals haven't been good league wide, and Sweeney's UFA deals haven't exactly been stellar.

It's also a crapshoot, planning on UFA's seems risky. We tried last year with Kovalchuk or Tavares and came out empty handed.

Cap friendly server is down for maintenance at moment.Bruins got to pay McAvoy and Carlo for sure soon.Chara no doubt gonna bind us down for 3 or 4 million.And Stone will be on market come July 1st is a good bet and Sweeney will no doubt want a crack at him.If Bruins take on more salary long-term now it will really tighten things up.They got Coyle and it was a solid move so I do not see the big deal adding a rental.Its ties Bruins to nothing but helps right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad