Player Discussion Charlie Coyle - Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Thats a very small sample size for starters and Coyle gets you the most bang for your buck as 3C as literally only
about 2-3 teams have as good or better 3C.

Of course its a small sample size, it was based on the game they just played. Doesn't mean that they didn't abuse Carolina at 5v5. The trio of Bjork-Kuraly-Studnicka wasn't terrible in that game either. Right now Bjork isn't working on the 1st line and thus the 1st line just isn't working. If getting the first line to produce means Coyle at RW while Pasta is out then you do it unless you're planning to put Studnicka there and see how it works.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Of course its a small sample size, it was based on the game they just played. Doesn't mean that they didn't abuse Carolina at 5v5. The trio of Bjork-Kuraly-Studnicka wasn't terrible in that game either. Right now Bjork isn't working on the 1st line and thus the 1st line just isn't working. If getting the first line to produce means Coyle at RW while Pasta is out then you do it unless you're planning to put Studnicka there and see how it works.

Nope, Bergeron and Marchand will eventually produce
even with Bjork. With the way Krejci line is playing and Coyle's possession game at 3C Carolina isn't able to tilt the ice.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Nope, Bergeron and Marchand will eventually produce
even with Bjork. With the way Krejci line is playing and Coyle's possession game at 3C Carolina isn't able to tilt the ice.

and yet Bruce felt the need to put Coyle up there because they weren't producing with Bjork. The whole Coyle 3C this is overblown. Yes he's an elite #3C and a better C than RW, but its not like he's a scrub at RW. Kuraly is more than capable of playing a 3C role for a short period. Give me a good 1-2 punch with a solid 4th line all day. With Pasta out and Coyle at 1RW, you get just that.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
and yet Bruce felt the need to put Coyle up there because they weren't producing with Bjork. The whole Coyle 3C this is overblown. Yes he's an elite #3C and a better C than RW, but its not like he's a scrub at RW. Kuraly is more than capable of playing a 3C role for a short period. Give me a good 1-2 punch with a solid 4th line all day. With Pasta out and Coyle at 1RW, you get just that.
I don't think that's what he's saying. It's not that Coyle is a scrub or useless at RW, it's that having him as the 3C gives the team a ton of depth and allows them to dominate more consistently when they're on the ice. The 3rd line was an absolutely massive reason for the Bruins run last year.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
just think of how many local kids they've tried until they finally found one that was good

Reactions: JOKER 192

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

Kuraly is a huge downgrade at 3C. You're asking for trouble doing that for an entire game. Much better
chance 37/63 will produce with 10/68 than Kuraly
gives you Coyle's game advantage.

Reactions: BMC and JOKER 192

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I don't think that's what he's saying. It's not that Coyle is a scrub or useless at RW, it's that having him as the 3C gives the team a ton of depth and allows them to dominate more consistently when they're on the ice. The 3rd line was an absolutely massive reason for the Bruins run last year.

and I'm not talking about for the duration of the playoffs, just until Pasta returns. The #1 line is better with Coyle than Bjork and we just got the 2nd line clicking. Why wouldn't you want a good 1-2 punch? Let the 4th line grind away and your 3rd line of Bjork-Kuraly-Studnicka (which looked fine last night) is your wild card.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Kuraly is a huge downgrade at 3C. You're asking for trouble doing that for an entire game. Much better
chance 37/63 will produce with 10/68 than Kuraly
gives you Coyle's game advantage.

I didn't say he wasn't a downgrade, but he's a capable #3C. Just like Coyle is a capable #2C, but is a downgrade over Krejci. You said theres a better chance of 37/63 producing with 10....but it hasn't happened. Game 5 Boston has last change, force Carolina to wear out there top guys trying to defend the top 2 lines leaving a weak/easier matchup for Bjork-Kuraly-Studnicka.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
just think of how many local kids they've tried until they finally found one that was good

Actually Bobby Carpenter was a local kid who gave them
quality play until Mathieu Schneider changed his career
trajectory in 1991. Even Ted Donato and Steve Heinze
weren't busts or failures.

Reactions: BruinDust and BMC

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I didn't say he wasn't a downgrade, but he's a capable #3C. Just like Coyle is a capable #2C, but is a downgrade over Krejci. You said theres a better chance of 37/63 producing with 10....but it hasn't happened. Game 5 Boston has last change, force Carolina to wear out there top guys trying to defend the top 2 lines leaving a weak/easier matchup for Bjork-Kuraly-Studnicka.
Coyle is absolutely a marginal downgrade to Krejci.
Kuraly is a significant downgrade to Coyle.
Looks like you don't think 37/63 can carry a line.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Coyle is absolutely a marginal downgrade to Krejci.
Kuraly is a significant downgrade to Coyle.
Looks like you don't think 37/63 can carry a line.

Marginal downgrade? Krejci this year in a down year still had more points than Coyle and in less games. One guy is a 60pt center while the other is a 40pt center. 37/63 have no been as good without Pastrnak (and I wouldn't expect them too), but they look a lot better with Coyle on their line than they did Bjork. Why make it an easier match-up for Carolina when all they have to do is focus on 63/37 because they know Bjork isn't a threat?

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
In fairness, the trio of Marchand-Bergeron-Coyle absolutely abused the Hurricanes at 5v5

Line Combo
TOI
CF%
SF%
xGF%
SCF%
HDCF%
Marchand-Bergeron-Coyle​
8:51​
68.42​
80.00​
80.35​
66.67​
80.00​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Coyle on the 1st line dominated, but the 3rd line barely played when he was moved off it and they were just ok. I think taking Coyle off the 3rd line is a larger downgrade to the 3rd line than it is an upgrade to the 1st. I'll take depth over 1-line dominance.

Assuming no Pastrnak, give me

Marchand-Bergeron-Studnicka
DeBrusk-Krejci-Kase
Kuraly-Coyle-Bjork
Nordstrom-Lindholm-Wagner

Reactions: LouJersey

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Coyle on the 1st line dominated, but the 3rd line barely played when he was moved off it and they were just ok. I think taking Coyle off the 3rd line is a larger downgrade to the 3rd line than it is an upgrade to the 1st. I'll take depth over 1-line dominance.

DeBrusk-Krejci-Kase
Kuraly-Coyle-Bjork

PERFECT.

Reactions: BMC

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

DeBrusk-Krejci-Kase
Kuraly-Coyle-Bjork

I'd be fine if they want to give Studnicka a look, but if its not him it needs to be Coyle at #1RW. The 3rd line of Bjork-Kurlay-Studnicka wasn't terrible. Sure they played 5 minutes of TOI together towards the end so its a small sample size but they weren't terrible...

CF% - 48.2%
SF% - 37.5%
xGF% - 81.5%
SCF% - 75.0%
HDCF% - 100%

So corsi was a tick below average and they were out-shot 4-2, but the chances they generated were high quality chances.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I'd be fine if they want to give Studnicka a look, but if its not him it needs to be Coyle at #1RW. The 3rd line of Bjork-Kurlay-Studnicka wasn't terrible. Sure they played 5 minutes of TOI together towards the end so its a small sample size but they weren't terrible...

CF% - 48.2%
SF% - 37.5%
xGF% - 81.5%
SCF% - 75.0%
HDCF% - 100%

So corsi was a tick below average and they were out-shot 4-2, but the chances they generated were high quality chances.
Totally agree with this. Would love to see how Studnicka plays with 37&63 while also bringing life back to that third line, but if that doesn’t work out I think Coyle is the only guy I wanna see at 1RW other than Pasta.

Either way I keep Stud in the lineup.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

CF% - 48.2%
SF% - 37.5%
xGF% - 81.5%
SCF% - 75.0%
HDCF% - 100%

I thought the noticeable part was that the 3rd line didn't play much in the 2nd or 3rd periods. Clearly Cassidy didn't trust them, which is why I think it makes sense to put Coyle back on the 3rd line. I think you can always move him back to the 1st, or have him play the occasional shift up there, but the lineup becomes more difficult to defend when he's centering the 3rd line.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I thought the noticeable part was that the 3rd line didn't play much in the 2nd or 3rd periods. Clearly Cassidy didn't trust them, which is why I think it makes sense to put Coyle back on the 3rd line. I think you can always move him back to the 1st, or have him play the occasional shift up there, but the lineup becomes more difficult to defend when he's centering the 3rd line.

I'd have to find the numbers, but I feel like Bruce shortens his bench in the 3rd period quite often and the 3rd line see's less action.

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
This guy is solid as a rock in the playoffs. He can play anywhere, on any line, in any situation. I wish his own line was more successful, like it was with Mojo on it last year, but he’s been a huge part of this team's success.

Reactions: NDiesel and BMC

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I'd have to find the numbers, but I feel like Bruce shortens his bench in the 3rd period quite often and the 3rd line see's less action.

He had Coyle out there playing wing with Krejci i think. Maybe that was just for a faceoff, but i swear i saw him out there protecting the lead

Reactions: NDiesel

The National

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2017
Los Angeles
1264168770.jpg.0.jpg

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Coyle's been great but Marchand is the runaway leader for that right now for the Bruins.
I think they actually have a few guys in the running for MVP of the playoffs thus far. Coyle, Marchand, Krejci, McAvoy and Halak. And hell, I wouldn’t count Bergeron, Pastrnak or DeBrusk out of the running if the Bruins manage to go further.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad