Player Discussion Charlie Coyle - Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
You are a hero
I've gone through the 12 October games and am up to 30 plays LMAO. Not all will make the cut when Dafoomie edits it but I'm just focusing on down low puck protection fending off players with his body and quick turns, carrying the puck up the ice where he's making impressive quick cut dekes, and any plays where he's using his body to fend off attackers (there are a few of them where he's doing it in the D-zone). I'm not including micro-plays where he's using his body to shield players and then sending a quick pass off or something. Like there was this one really nice play where he let the puck come to him along the boards and shielded the D-man with his body at the same time so he couldn't get to it and sent a quick pass into the slot for a chance. I don't think there's any way to make a good highlight out of that though.

One of my main takeaways so far though is that Brett Ritchie was better than I remember

Last edited:

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
What amazes me with Coyle is when the playoff roll around he seems to find another gear. Since being traded to Boston

Regular Season - 91GP / 18G / 25A / 0.47 PGP
Playoffs - 30GP / 11G / 8A / 0.63 PGP

To put him playoff number in perspective, here is what his rates put him at over 91 games:

91GP / 33G / 24A / 57 PTS

^If you could get this Coyle in the regular season he'd be a legit #2C for this team. Over 82 the numbers are slightly less, but he'd be a 30G/22A guy. How do we get playoff Coyle during the regular season?

Reactions: BMC and CDJ

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
What amazes me with Coyle is when the playoff roll around he seems to find another gear. Since being traded to Boston

Regular Season - 91GP / 18G / 25A / 0.47 PGP
Playoffs - 30GP / 11G / 8A / 0.63 PGP

To put him playoff number in perspective, here is what his rates put him at over 91 games:

91GP / 33G / 24A / 57 PTS

^If you could get this Coyle in the regular season he'd be a legit #2C for this team. Over 82 the numbers are slightly less, but he'd be a 30G/22A guy. How do we get playoff Coyle during the regular season?

I think the most interesting thing with him is that it was the opposite in Minnesota.

Regular Season - 479 GP / 91G / 151A / 0.51 PTS/G
Playoffs - 44 GP / 7G / 8A / 0.34 PTS/G

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Matchups become a little more critical over a series. Just a hunch, but Coyle might be drawing easier matchups while Bergeron and Krejci bear the brunt of the opposition.

He's been better than expected for sure. I very much enjoy his versatility

Reactions: BMC and CDJ

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

Maybe we get playoff Coyle because he IS regular season Coyle and hasn't beaten himself into the dust after 82 games?

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
He’s one of my favourite players on the team. I have this absolutely unreasonable boost in confidence whenever he is on the ice.

Krejci has been playing exceptional hockey as well. With Tuukka gone, it’s going to be this strength down the middle that ends up the key to any potential playoff success.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
He’s one of my favourite players on the team. I have this absolutely unreasonable boost in confidence whenever he is on the ice.

Krejci has been playing exceptional hockey as well. With Tuukka gone, it’s going to be this strength down the middle that ends up the key to any potential playoff success.

No doubt- Bergie, Krejci, Coyle, and dare I say Par Lindholm (or Kuraly or Nordstrom but I like those guys better on the wing)

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I don't want to see Coyle with #37/63. He's
a possession monster BY HIMSELF and won't
see the puck with 37/63 on that line nearly as much.
You're essentially neutering one of your most important
assets.

Keep Coyle at 3C with Kuraly, Cassidy, use your head.

False Start

May 8, 2018
assets.

Thought it was very strange when Bjork had his best game by FAR and was relegated to 4th line with Kuraly and Studnicka.

And they brought up Coyle who did not look comfortable at all on the top line. Perhaps they wanted a bigger presence on the ice since the Kuraly line was barely playing at that point down 2-0.

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
Thought it was very strange when Bjork had his best game by FAR and was relegated to 4th line with Kuraly and Studnicka.

And they brought up Coyle who did not look comfortable at all on the top line. Perhaps they wanted a bigger presence on the ice since the Kuraly line was barely playing at that point down 2-0.

Bjork didn't look good until he got demoted. I think it was just a one time change to spark some scoring. Coyle is pretty important for our depth so I'd be surprised if he wasn't back at 3C.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
assets.

In fairness, the trio of Marchand-Bergeron-Coyle absolutely abused the Hurricanes at 5v5

Line Combo
TOI
CF%
SF%
xGF%
SCF%
HDCF%
Marchand-Bergeron-Coyle​
8:51​
68.42​
80.00​
80.35​
66.67​
80.00​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
In fairness, the trio of Marchand-Bergeron-Coyle absolutely abused the Hurricanes at 5v5

Line Combo
TOI
CF%
SF%
xGF%
SCF%
HDCF%
Marchand-Bergeron-Coyle​
8:51​
68.42​
80.00​
80.35​
66.67​
80.00​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Thats a very small sample size for starters and Coyle gets you the most bang for your buck as 3C as literally only
about 2-3 teams have as good or better 3C.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Thats a very small sample size for starters and Coyle gets you the most bang for your buck as 3C as literally only
about 2-3 teams have as good or better 3C.
I agree with this, it's just overkill to have him there, although I understand why Cassidy did it given limited options. Coyle is a player where the play runs through him when he's at his best. He's the one controlling the puck and creating space for others. Marchand does the majority of that when he's on the ice, those two are the best on the team at it. It's kind of why I hated Jagr with Marchand and Bergeron. Those two always have their own dynamic, they don't need Jagr ragging the puck, it just takes away from the overall effectiveness of the line combinations IMO.

Reactions: KillerMillerTime
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad