Player Discussion Charlie Coyle - Part Deux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Awesome player.

I think he’s been better than Krejci.

It's interesting, at even-strength, Krejci's GF% of 67.69% is the highest on the team among forward, but his xGF% is just 48.48%, so he's gotten really lucky this year. Coyle, on the other hand, is pretty low on the GF% ranking (at 55.88%), but his xGF% is pretty close to that (55.08%).

Another piece is even-strength points per 60. Krejci is at 2.13 per 60, whereas Coyle is 1.91, but Krejci just has 1.29 primary points per 60, while Coyle has 1.77.

Reactions: PlayMakers

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
Over their last 20 games...

Krejci has 12 points +6.
Coyle has 14 points, +12.

Terrific trade to get Coyle last year. The B's have found the eventual replacement for Krejci.

The future at center was uncertain last year at this time. Now there are options.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I'd love to see a highlight compilation of just him protecting the puck.

Imagine a line of Coyle, Jumbo Joe, and Peter Schaefer. It would be the Jumbo Booty line, seeing as they were some of the best to shield the puck using their body.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Was Coyle playing like this when he played for the Wild?

He is noticeable all throughout the game and is great at puck possession/protector. This guy WANTS it.

I’ll tell you I value him a lot higher than what we gave to get him.

I agree...he's dominant.

Bruins very lucky to have landed him.

Take contract money out of equation - would anyone trade Coyle for Tavares today? Not I!

Reactions: Oates2Neely

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Question.. it seems Coyle has improved his game this season/ 2nd half of this season. Comparing 2019 Coyle to 2020 Coyle, will we see a noticeable difference in how he directly affects the outcome of playoff games? He was good last year but he’s on another level at the moment

Reactions: BMC

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Coyle could be very good when he was on the Wild, but would then disappear for weeks. Was always very strong, a good skater, and had good hands. His problem was the he was so versatile that he was played anywhere in the top 9, and back and forth between RW and C. I think the very inconsistency of his assignments contributed to a similar inconsistency to his game. He needs to shoot more. Surprisingly silky hands. I thought he was underappreciated by MN fans, but I would also say that part of the fault was on him for disengaging at times. Nice guy to have around for the playoffs.

Donato is scoring more, and is looking faster and more confident. He is still weak...if he can fix that he will be a decent offensive player. He was tried at C briefly...no bueno.

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC and Dr Hook

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Coyle could be very good when he was on the Wild, but would the disappear for weeks. Was always very strong, a good skater, and had good hands. His problem was the he was so versatile that he was played anywhere in the top 9, and back and forth between RW and C. I think it the very inconsistency of his assignments contributed to a similar inconsistency to his game. He needs to shoot more. Surprisingly silky hands. I thought he was underappreciated by MN fans, but I would also say that he part of the fault was on him for disengaging at times. Nice guy to have around for the playoffs.

Donato is scoring more, and is looking faster and more confident. He is still weak...if he can fix that he will be a decent offensive player. He was tried at C briefly...no bueno.

I just love Coyle as a Bruin.

Beast versatile, physical midd6 C, just what the team needed

Canadian Bruin

Jun 16, 2007
Halifax, NS
I'd love to see a highlight compilation of just him protecting the puck.

This...

It's been a long time that I have seen a Bruins player be able to handle and protect the puck this well. Lots of guys on the team can protect the puck with body position and strength but he puts on a clinic. He has such tight turns and great puck control, he seems to get better each game. I think he really does have second line center capability, which I didn't think he did before.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
this is the most nitpicky of nitpicky things that sometimes frustrate me with Coyle so please don`t mud sling me. As much as love what he brings, if he has a fault, for as strong as he is at protecting the puck, he sometimes holds onto it just a touch too long when a passing option might be the better play but again, nitpicking

One of the most surprising deals as a Bruin fan, was expecting an inconsistent guy who would leave me/us wanting more, not the case but I think in Minny, based on things I read here, he was moved between the wing and the C position and he never seemed to be able to build a fluidity knowing he was going to be one or the other full time?

Reactions: missingchicklet

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
this is the most nitpicky of nitpicky things that sometimes frustrate me with Coyle so please don`t mud sling me. As much as love what he brings, if he has a fault, for as strong as he is at protecting the puck, he sometimes holds onto it just a touch too long when a passing option might be the better play but again, nitpicking

One of the most surprising deals as a Bruin fan, was expecting an inconsistent guy who would leave me/us wanting more, not the case but I think in Minny, based on things I read here, he was moved between the wing and the C position and he never seemed to be able to build a fluidity knowing he was going to be one or the other full time?

No, I think you're right. His line is a puck possession machine, but sometimes I worry that he and Bjork are too focused on possessing the puck, and there's not enough focus on creating scoring chances. It's definitely nitpicking, and not a huge issue, but that line could be a monster if they could get more pucks on net.

Reactions: missingchicklet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad